1. Resume Longer Than One Page • Keep short and to the point. • Appetizer, not a main course. • Not a literary work.
2. Don’t Research Company • Knowledge of company shows interest. • Verify you like the company and want to work there. • Most companies have a web-site.
3. Don’t Ask a Single Question • Asking questions shows interest. • Formulate a standard set of questions you can ask each interviewer • What is it like to work at <company name>? • What are you looking for in an ideal candidate? • Better decision making. • Opportunity to bring up missed topics.
4. Lie • Do not put something on your resume you can not answer. • Do not look up answers during the interview. • If you do not know the answer, say “I don’t know”. • Ask the interviewer for the answers.
5. Stare Blankly When Asked Questions • Expect to be asked certain standard questions. • Why do you want this job? • Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years? • Try not to be nervous. • Practice. Practice. Practice. • Know your strengths and focus on them. • Never put yourself down. • Smile.
Final Comments • No guarantees. • Learning experience. • Enjoy yourself.