1 / 13

The Caste System in India

The Caste System in India. History and Modern Perspectives. India’s Population. India today has a population of over 1.1 billion people About 80% of Indians are Hindus About 13% are Muslims

Télécharger la présentation

The Caste System in India

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. Content is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only. Download presentation by click this link. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server. During download, if you can't get a presentation, the file might be deleted by the publisher.


Presentation Transcript

  1. The Caste System in India History and Modern Perspectives

  2. India’s Population • India today has a population of over 1.1 billion people • About 80% of Indians are Hindus • About 13% are Muslims • Did you know that today there are more native English speakers in India than in the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand combined?

  3. India’s Population • It is the second most populous country in the world today. • It houses about 16% of the world’s population -- on 2% of the world’s landmass! • Approximately 70% of people live in villages. • The other 30% live in 200 cities across the country.

  4. Indian Languages • India is a land of many languages – 16 official ones, including English • In the north, Indo-European languages are spoken: • Hindi आदेश मिला किसी मकान को तोड़ने का, • Guajarati • Bengali • Punjabi • These languages are distantly related to English.

  5. Indian Languages • In the south, Dravidian languages are spoken: • Tamil பெற வாநேல ஹாணஸேந • Malayam • Telegu • These languages have little in common with the languages of the north.

  6. Indian History • The British ruled India from 1858 - 1947 • The kings and queens of England were also Emperors and Empresses of India from 1876 – 1947

  7. Indian History • In 1947, India gained independence from Britain, thanks in part to Gandhi • The country was divided (partitioned) into Pakistan (Muslim majority) and India (Hindu majority).

  8. Indian History • Partition was a very bloody time; • Muslims and Hindus fought many battles. • The area of Punjab is still claimed by both Pakistan and India.

  9. Development in India • The 1950s and 1960s were a time of economic development for India. • Modernization came to India, but at a human price. • Many people were forced from their village homes. • Health care is not as advanced as in Western countries

  10. The Caste System • The Hindu population is divided up into four official castes: • Brahmin – priests and scholars • Kshatria – rulers and aristocrats • Vaisia – businessmen and landlords • Sudra – peasants and workers • The higher the caste, generally the richer the members of the caste. • The Sudra have few economic and social rights.

  11. The Caste System • A fifth caste is a “non-caste”, known by several different names: • The Untouchables (higher castes were not supposed to touch them) • Dalits (“the oppressed” – the politically correct term today) • Scheduled castes (because they are “scheduled” by the government to receive fairer treatment).

  12. The Fifth Caste • The Untouchables did the work that the other castes considered unclean: • Butchers • Latrine cleaners • Tannery workers – • can you think why? • Untouchables had almost no rights • They were often considered as a “pollution” and had to live away from others

  13. The Fifth Caste • Discrimination against lower castes was outlawed in 1947. • In reality, discrimination is still common, especially in traditional rural areas. • Many Dalits have gone into the public service and work for the government.

More Related