Olivenhain Colony History History After Statehood September 9, 1850 - Present
Introduction to Olivenhain • Olivenhain (pronounced Oh-LEE-ven-hine) is one of five communities in the City of Encinitas. Today, Olivenhain stretches from San Elijo Lagoon in the south, along both sides of Manchester Avenue and Rancho Santa Fe Road, • In 1986, Olivenhain joined with Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Leucadia, New Encinitas, and Old Encinitas to incorporate as the City of Encinitas.
Figure 1 – Communities of Encinitas Figure 2 - Rancho Las Encinitas Figure 3 - Colony Olivenhain after July, 1885
Rancho Las Encinitas • By the early 1800's, California was a vast, sparsely inhabited territory of Mexico. Andreas Antonio Ybarra made a formal request to the Mexican government that he be awarded a land grant of the 4,431 acre rancho called "Los Encinitos". The land grant was awarded on July 3, 1842. • Mannasse and Schiller converted the adobe ranch house into a stage coach station which serviced the Seeley-Wright Stage Coach Line. • Today, Stage Coach Park in Carlsbad contains the remains of the walls of the adobe home on the hill above the tennis courts. • Mannasse and Schiller encountered financial difficulties and lost the rancho to foreclosure in 1800. • The Kimball brothers owned vast parcels of land in National City, Chula Vista, and Jamul. They planned to resell the rancho to a "Colony", a homogenous group of immigrants who would purchase and settle on a large parcel of land.
Colony Olivenhain • The Colony was begun May 21, 1884 with the first seven members — Theodore Pinther, Joseph Ullrich, Louis Denk, Otto Pinther, Lina Pinther, Johann Bumann, and Paul Glave. Each member paid an initiation fee, a membership fee, and monthly dues. A member in good standing would be entitled to a five acre parcel of cultivated land, a house of moderate size built on their property, and the use of all colony-owned property such as horse teams, wagons, and fruit processing machinery. • By June 1, membership had increased to 20 members. In accepting new members, the colony wanted honest, hard-working people • In October, 1884, on a trip to San Diego to view different properties for the Colony of Olivenhain, Theodore Pinther and Conrad Stroebel purchased Rancho Las Encinitas with the Colony's money, but without their prior approval or knowledge, for $66,500 ($15 per acre) plus interest. • On October 31, 1884, sixty-seven Olivenhain colonists boarded the train in Denver and headed west. Food, water and shelter were almost nonexistent for the newcomers. • Hundreds of acres of brush-covered soil was cleared and plowed, and construction of homes, roads, and the colony-owned farm began. The official land distribution began in January, 1885. After a number of parcels had been distributed, housing construction began. • The colonists began to dig wells. Time and time again, the new wells they were boring came up dry. Only a few wells in the San Elijo flood plain basin and a few ravines produced any water, and what little water was in them was alkaline and brackish. The colonists finally realized the awful truth — the land lacked sufficient water!
The Community of Olivenhain • The abolishment of the colony does not imply that Olivenhain history ended. A healthier and more permanent community evolved. • The first school was opened in Theodore Pinther's abandoned house in 1886. A larger one-room school house was opened in 1888 which was used as a school for 54 years. • From 1889 to 1935 the enrollment at the Olivenhain School averaged twenty students. Then in the late 1930's the number of students sharply dropped to nine. • In 1887, a copper deposit was discovered near the termination of Lone Jack Road. A mine was developed by the Encinitas Copper Company and sporadically produced a low grade of copper ore until 1917. • Modern conveniences were slow to arrive in Olivenhain. The first rural mail delivery began in 1910. Telephone services was extended from Encinitas in 1938, and electricity came to Olivenhain in about 1946. The Olivenhain Municipal Water District was formally established in 1959 and dedicated in 1961, marking the end of reliance on wells and cisterns as the only source of water. Lone Jack Road was finally paved in the early 1970's. • Many of the people that remained after 1887 would remain a lifetime. Their descendents would populate and farm the Olivenhain valley until the present day.
The Shanty • The shanty was moved to the Meeting Hall property December 9, 1979. This shanty is ten years older than the Meeting Hall and is the last known survivor of many such shanties which were constructed during the Colony era. • When Marie Emilie Bumann married Frederick William Wiro in 1916, they lived on the original Wiro home site, located west of Rancho Santa Fe Road and Lone Jack Road. • The shanty was used as a storage shed until 1917 when Marie's father-in-law, Wilhelm Wiro, came to stay with them and moved into the shanty. • Around 1950, the original sawn cedar shingle roof was replaced with an aluminum roof. The shanty has remained virtually unchanged since that time.
Figure 5 - The Lickert Shanty, January 2001 Figure 7 - The Germania Hotel - January 2001 Figure 8 - The Olivenhain Town Hall, 2001
The Germania Hotel • Mr. Baecht anticipated using his house for his 12-member family and ended up making it a Hotel (two rooms on the first floor with seven bedrooms on the second floor) • The large two rooms on the first floor with seven bedrooms on the second floor. st and most expensive home constructed in the Colony. • Hotel was built for Herman Baecht in 1885 at what is now the south end of Seventh Street • Used as a hotel because it was off both the stage and the railroad routes and had little access to water. Many colony families lived there including the Guntners, the Wallensteins, the Coles, and Miss Winters, one of the teachers. • Dan Wiegand purchased property in 1982, The Hotel was moved to the Town Hall property. The Hotel was the victim of vandalism almost from the moment it was settled near the Town Hall. It was finally boarded up, and had become populated by a large bat colony.
Olivenhain Today and Tomorrow • General Plan projects a total of 1616 homes when available lots have been built. • Wiro Park, Little Oaks Park, and Sun Vista Park are the only developed parks within Olivenhain • Overall objective of the Town Council has been expanded to include the community at large: To continue to protect and preserve the rural atmosphere that we have inherited from those before us. • General Meetings of the Town Council, open to all residents of Olivenhain, are held in the Meeting Hall on the first Wednesday of each month. • Residents of Olivenhain are invited to join the Town Council. • Annual activities: Spring Beer and Bratwurst Festival, a Halloween Party in October, and a Holiday Party in December. A Craft Fair in November. • The City Watch Task Force monitors activity at the planning and traffic departments of the City of Encinitas and often speaks on behalf of Olivenhain during City Council meetings.
History of the Olivenhain Municipal Water District • Olivenhain Municipal Water District (OMWD) was incorporated on April 9, 1959, to develop an adequate water supply for landowners and residents.
The Legacy of the Land • The land now served by OMWD was once home to three Native American cultures: the San Dieguito, La Jollan and Diegueño. Each tribe existed during a different time and was distinctly different from the others.In the early 1800s, the area now defined as Olivenhain was part of the territory of Mexico. In 1842, the government of Mexico granted Rancho Los Encinitos to Andreas Ybarra who built an adobe house, the remains of which still stand near Stagecoach Park in Carlsbad.On a tract of land called Rancho Las Encinitas, 25 families started the colony of Olivenhain in 1884. This small party of 67 German settlers began the community that is OMWD's namesake. • The gradual decline of farming activity during the 1950s and the importation of water to Southern California slowly transformed the Olivenhain area into a residential community.
Olivenhain Municipal Water District Strategic Plan – 2010 Update • Historically, the District has not had a comprehensive strategic plan. Rather, we had a Mission Statement and Goals that were updated every few years • In 1996 the District first established its Mission Statement and Goals. In 2002 the Mission Statement was updated and the goals were revised. The District also began creating annual objectives in 2002 that have aided the District in achieving its goals and upholding its mission statement • Staff has incorporated requested updates to the District’s Mission Statement and Goals as directed by Board earlier this year which are reflected in the attached documents.
References www.colony of olivenhain
That’s all folks The Germania Hotel