Lead-in Do you know the famous actress?
She is regarded as the one of the most elegant ladies in the world. What’s her name? Can you name some films which she acted in?
Roman Holiday 《罗马假期》 1953年
War and Peace 《战争与和平》 1956年
My Fair Lady • 《窈窕淑女》 • 1964年
unit 4 PYGMALION
FunctionalItems Topic Grammar LearningGoals Knowledge Goals literary work/drama/read and act a play conjecture/emotions/judgment and evaluation revise the Past Participle as the Adverbial
Ability Goals • Can express your emotions in English. • Making your own judgment about things you • know. • Making sentences by using the Past Participle as the • Adverbial properly. Emotion Goals • Can say something about Bernard Shaw. • Know why the play is named Pygmalion.
Important Points Difficult Points Important and Difficult Points • Try to know why the play is named Pygmalion. • Try to make sentences, using the past • participle as the adverbial properly. • Try to express your emotions in English. • Try to make your own judgment about things • you know.
Warming Up Questions: • Have you seen the film My Fair Lady ? • Who wrote the play? George Bernard Shaw wrote the play.
Do you know something about Shaw? George Bernard Shaw, Irish dramatist, literary critic, a socialist spokesman, and a leading figure in the 20th century theater. Shaw was a freethinker, defender of women’s rights, and advocate of equality of income. In 1925 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature. Shaw accepted the honor but refused the money. He was a very humorous playwright.
The Fair Lady by George Bernard Shaw is an adaptation of a Greek story. Do you know the story?
Pygmalion, a gifted artist, makes a stone statue of a beautiful woman.
Have you heard of “the Pygmalion Effect”? The Pygmalion Effect is that people tend to behave as you expect they will. If you expect a person to take responsibility, they probably will. If you expect them not to even try, they probably won’t. The play performed by Shaw has the same theme as the Greek story. What this theme might be?
Pre-reading Have you seen the film My Fair Lady? Read the information on the main characters below. Think of a possible plot. Fateful meetings
Main characters Eliza Doolittle(E): a poor flower girl who is ambitious to improve herself. Professor Higgins(H): an expert in phonetics, convinced that the quality of a person’s English decides his/her position in society. Colonel Pickering(P): an officer in the army and later a friend of Higgins’ who sets him a task.
Reading Fast Reading, pay attention: 1. This text is mainly about the first experience of Eliza meeting with ______. A. Professor Higgins B. Colonel Pickering C. Professor Higgins and Colonel Pickering D. a gentleman B
2. Eliza greeted to the gentleman in order to_______. A. ask him to buy some flowers from her B. talk with him C. ask him to teach her D. beg some money from him A 3. Why Eliza began to cry? Because _______. A. she thought Professor Higgins would arrest him B. the gentleman didn’t give her some money C. Pickering beat and scolded her D. there was no reason A
4. Professor Higgins believed that he could judge a person by _______. A. his appearance B. his action C. his conversation D. his manners C 5. From the text , we can infer that Professor Higgins is a man described below EXCEPT _________. A. he doesn’t care about money B. he is an expert in phonetics C. he is proud D. he is greedy D
Detail Reading: respectful Behavior:__________ to people of higher class Lower class Language:calls gentleman “sir” and ___________ (or captain) which is a compliment “cap’ in” Eliza
Detail Reading: rude Behavior: _____ to lower class; _____ to same or upper class polite Middle class Language: calls Eliza “___________” and Pickering _____________” you silly girl Henry Higgins my dear man
Behavior: generally confident and ______; but _______ Eliza polite ignores Upper class Language: prepared to begin a ____________ with Henry, whom he does not know; generous with praise to him conversation Colonel Pickering
Can you choose adjectives to describe Each character in the play. Anxious, eager, emotional ambitious, unsure Eliza: Henry: Impatient, rude, confident, superior, self-important Colonel: Kind, polite ,generous, enthusiastic, eager, confident
Reading the text third times and correct all these sentences in terms of grammar, spelling, etc. 1. Come over’ere, cap’in, and buy me flowers off a poor girl. Come over here, captain, and buy some flowers from a poor girl. 2. I ain’t done nothing wrong bu speaking to that gentleman. I haven’t done anything wrong by speaking to that gentleman.
3. I thought maybe you was a policeman in disguise. I thought maybe you were a policeman in disguise 4. How do I know whether’ ou took me words down right? How do I know whether you wrote down what I said accurately? 5. A shop assistant ? Now that’s sommat I want,that is! A shop assistant? Now that’s something I would like to be!
Explanation 1. A gentleman passes and hesitates for a moment. [要点导航] hesitate vi.迟疑,踌躇,犹豫,感到迷惑 hesitate over/at/about 关于/做…犹豫不决 [思维拓展] hesitation n.犹豫,踌躇 hesitating adj.犹豫的 hesitatingly adv.犹豫地 for a moment 一会儿 for the moment 暂时 in a moment 一会儿 at the moment 此时 He will be here in a moment. 他一会儿就来。 At the moment I am working. 此刻我正在工作。
2. But they betray themselves every time they open their mouths . (1)泄露秘密 The officer betrayed the secret to his friends. 那军官把秘密向朋友泄露了。 (2)无意中透漏出来,显示 betray + n./ that/ what The expression on his face betrays his anger.= The expression on his face betrays that he is angry. betray oneself 无意中露出本性 Many people will betray themselves when temped by money.
[思维拓展] betrayer n.背叛者,告密者 betrayal n. 背叛,卖国 an act of betrayal背叛行为 every time 每一次， 引导时间状语从句的短语连词，类似的有：by the time 到……的时间 By the time he was fourteen years old, he had learned math all by himself. 到14岁的时候，他已经自学了数学。 The truck will have arrived by the time you have all the things packed up. 等你们把所有这些东西包装完毕时，卡车将已经抵达。
each time/every time 每次…… Each time I meet an Englishman, he starts off the conversation with some comment on the weather. 每当我遇到英国人时，他的谈话总是以议论天气开。 Every time I call on him, he is out. 我去拜访他，他总是不在。 the first time 第一次…… He had impressed me that way the first time I met him. 我第一次碰到他时他就给我这个印象。
next time 下一次…… Next time you come in, please close the door. 下一次你进来时，请关上门。 all the time 一直；始终 He sat quietly all the time she sang. 她唱歌时，他一直静静地坐着。 the moment (or the minute, the instant)一……就 I recognized you the minute I saw you. 我一看见你就认出你来了。 I sent you the news the instant I heard it . 我一听到这个消息就让人给你送去了。
Language Points 1.Now once taught by me… 一旦由我来教… … When finished, the homework was handed in. 作业一完成就交上了去。 以once, if, as, unless, when, though, although引 导的状语从句, 若从句主语与主句主语一致, 且从句 中谓语动词为 be+v.-ed 形式, 或从句中主谓结构为 it is (was)+ adj.时, 则从句结构可以直接由以上连词 加v-ed或adj.代替。
2. While watching, he makes notes. 他一边观察一边做笔记。 while watching 为while he was watching 省略 句。在以when, while, if, unless等引导的状语从句中, 如果从句中的主语与主句主语一致且从句谓语动词含 有be动词的形式,往往将从句中的主语及be动词省略, 而以动词的-ing形式或过去分词形式来代替。 e.g. After finishing the work, he went home. 完成工作后他就回家了。
3. acquaintance n. 熟人, 相识, 了解 And I came to England to make your acquaintance. 我来伦敦就是为了结识你。 I have some acquaintance with French, but I do not know it well. 我懂得一点法语, 但不精通。 I still keep up acquaintance with him. 我仍然和他联系着。 He was my closest acquaintance. 他是我的老相识。
归纳: acquaintance 既可作不可数名词,表“熟悉,认识”, 作可数名词, 表“熟识的人”。 make one’s acquaintance =make the acquaintance of somebody 表示“结识某人”; gain acquaintance with…得以知悉; cut/drop one’s acquaintance with… 与某人绝交; be acquainted with… 熟悉… 拓展：
4. But, sir, (proudly)once educated to speak properly,the girl couldpassherselfoffin three monthsas a duchess at an ambassador’s garden party. 可是,先生(自豪地), 一旦那个女孩被教会说正确的英语, 她就能够在三个月后由一位大使举办的舞会上冒充一位女公爵。 这是一个复合句,从句为once she is educated to speak properly 的省略形式。
pass off… as… 冒充 She passed herself off as an American. 她冒充是美国人。 He passed his secretary off as wife. 他把秘书冒充他的妻子。 拓展： pass off 停止;顺利地举行;躲开 pass by 走过;不理会 pass on 传递 pass through 通过,穿过
5. Professor Higgins (H): an expert in phonetics, convinced that the quality of a person’s English decides his/her position in society. 希金斯教授是一位语音学专家, 他认为一个人 的英语水平决定了他(她)的社会地位。 convince vt. 说服; 使相信; 说(某人) 句型： convince sb. of sth. / that … convince sb. to do sth.
I tried to convince my wife that we can’t afford a new car. 我试图说服我妻子我们买不起新车。 convinced adj.坚信的;意志坚定的 convincing adj.令人心服的 be convinced of / that…坚信,确信… I am convinced of his guilt. = I am convinced that he is guilty.
Learning about language Words ★单词拼写 1. This is an a____________ of her play for radio. 2. Her face b________ that she was very disappointed with the boy. 3.The waste is c____________ into many groups by him. 4. He was in d__________ and nobody could recognize him. 5. He looked at the poor boy d________________. daptation etrayed lassified isguise ismissively
6.The enemy forces were s___________ in numbers. 7.His illness _________________(注定)him to be in bed all the time. 8.They refused to ________________(折中)their principles by doing deal with the terrorists. 9. She's still______________(犹豫)about sending her son to college. 10. She ________________(忽略)his rudeness and tried to pretend nothing had happened. 11. He has a wide circle of _________________.(熟人) 12.The play was a ______________ (杰出的)success. uperior condemned compromise hesitating overlooked acquaintances brilliant
Morphology effective hearty generic uncomfortable fateful fortunate effectively heartily generally uncomfortably fatefully fortunately adj. adv.
Expressions make…into 1.把……改制成,做成______________ 2.给……安排任务______________ 3.举起______________ 4.伪装的,假扮的______________ 5.移交,让与______________ 6.冒充______________ 7.结识,与……想见________________________ 8.一把,少数的______________ 9.惊讶地______________ 10.就……来说,从……角度______________ set sb a task hold up in disguise hand over pass off…as… make one’s acquaintance a handful of inamazement intermsof
belong to 11.属于______________ 12.专心,全神贯注______________ 13.带/领……进来______________ 14.有点,稍微______________ 15.几天前______________ 16.带走,取走______________ 17.不止是,岂只是______________ 18.需要______________ 19.支持,处理______________ 20.逐渐模糊,渐淡______________ 21.再一次______________ deep in sth show…in a bit the other day take sb away more than in need of deal with fade out oncemore
Structures 过去分词作状语 过去分词作状语同现在分词作状语一样,其逻辑主语就是句子的主语,所不同的是现在分词与主句主语存在着主谓关系,而过去分词与主句主语之间是被动关系。过去分词或过去分词短语在句中作状语时相当于一个状语从句,可表原因,时间,条件,让步,方式或伴随。 (1)作原因状语，多放在主句之前，相当于because, since, as引导的从句。 Tired from the day’s hard work, he fell asleep soon. =(Because he was tired from the day’s hard work, he…) 由于一天的劳累工作,他很快就睡着了。
(2)作时间状语, 相当于when引导的时间状语,有时在分词前直接加when, while, until等词可使其表达的时间意义更明确。如: When heated, water can be changed into steam. 水加热后可以变成水蒸气。 Seen from the hill, the town looks beautiful. (3)作条件状语,相当于if, unless引导的从句。 Given another chance, he can do it better. =(If he is given another chance,...) 如果再给他一次机会,他会做的更好。
(4)作让步状语。 Much tired, he still kept on working. (=Though he was much tired, he...) 尽管很累，他仍继续工作。 (5)作方式或伴随状语。 He turned away disappointed. 他失望地走开了。 The teacher stood there, surrounded by many students. 老师站在那儿，周围围着许多学生。