When God Delays I Kings 17:2-7
Elijah and the Secret of his Power “There is nothing the Church of today needs so much as spiritual power; and there is nothing which we can have so easily, if only we are prepared to pay the price.” F.B. Meyer God’s blessings are freely given but only to those who want them badly.
A Sudden Change of Direction Elijah speaks God’s word to Ahab – 17:1 God tells Elijah to Depart – 17:2 God tells Elijah to hide by the brook Kerith – 17:2-7 Seven Evil Kings, Elijah Appears, BAM!, then Elijah disappears
What is God Doing? What Can we Learn? God’s will is revealed to us one step at a time. God’s timetable and ours are not the same. God’s delays teach us to trust Him in new ways. God’s power works even in our absence. God’s blessings come after we obey not before. God’s guidance comes through the changing circumstances of life.
1. God’s will is revealed to us one step at a time Elijah was ready to give 15 sermons….and God said, “no, one sentence.” God’s will is revealed to us one step at a time. You can’t get around the ravines of life….before mountain top…go by way of ravine
2. God’s timetable and ours are not the same Elijah hid, because he would be public enemy number 1….and God was moving to protect him. In addition, God wanted to use the drought to expose Baal Life by the brook of Kerith – was monotonous …but God’s timetable and ours are rarely the same.
3. God’s delays teach us to trust him in new ways Can God set a table in the wilderness? Psalm 78:19 We learn more in the darkness than we do in the light We learn more in the house of mourning than we do in the house of feasting. God’s delays teach us to trust him in new ways.
4. God’s power works even in our absence Do you want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans. God’s power does not depend on our personal presence. He can work with us. He can work without us. The power is not in you; the power is in my Word. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Romans 10:17
5. God’s blessings come after we obey not before What is the most important word in verse 5? “there” God is saying, “If you want my blessing, you’re going to have to go “there” and stay “there.” God’s blessings come after our obedience. Command, obedience and miracle. Hudson Taylor, “In every great work attempted for God, there are always 3 stages: impossible, difficult, done.”
6. God’s guidance comes through the changing circumstances of life The brook dries up, because Elijah had prayed for the rain to stop. God wants to teach us not to trust in his gifts, but in Himself. The Lord’s table also reminds us to NOT trust in self…BUT to trust in our Savior and Redeemer – even Jesus!