How to attract Media attention A Webinar arranged for you by the Int. PR&Comms Committee and kindly supported by ZI Headquarters in Chicago
How to attract Media attention May 11, 2013 7:00 a.m. CEST for Asia, Australia and New Zealand 10:00 a.m. CEST for Africa and Europe 6:00 p.m. CEST for North and South America Susanne von Bassewitzsusanne.email@example.com Christine Gerberdingcgerberdng@aol.com TsemayeOpuborHambraeustsemaye@verandafilm.com
Good Story Tellingon Violence Against Women Presented by Christine Gerberding firstname.lastname@example.org
Good Story Telling on VAW • Individualize/ Personalize the Story • Tell a Success Story • Define the Problem/Use the Individual Story as an Example • Generalize the Problem • Find a link to Zonta International
1. Individualize/Personalize the Story • Who is the victim? • What happened to her? • How did she get help? What/Who helped her? • How is she now? • What did Zonta do to help her and other women?
2. Tell a Success Story • What was needed to help? • Who helped? • What did Zonta do to help? • What were the reactions? • What was learned for the future?
3. Define the Problem/ Use the Individual Story as an Example • Why did the violent act happen? • Who failed? • What can be learned from the story? • How can you prevent this violence from happening again? • What can Zonta do to help?
4. Generalize the Problem • What is needed? • What has been done? • What are some facts and figures from your community/area/country that can be used to illustrate the problem?
5. Find a link to Zonta International • What did/does Zonta do? • Explain Zonta’s engagement: • Local • Global (any partner organizations?) • Prepare statements from your club/area/district officers • Look for statements from Zonta International on the topic • Link the story to Zonta’s ZISVAW projects (if possible)
Good Story Telling on VAWQ & A Do you have any questions about Good Story Telling on VAW? 3 MINUTES Please note: there will be an open forum at the end of this webinar to discuss any other topics
Increasing Media Attention Presented by TsemayeOpuborHambraeus email@example.com
Increasing Media Attention • Coverage • Creating a Pitch • Contacting the Media
1. Coverage • Works with good stories, not just with press releases • Works with people – an interviewer and an interviewee • Works with events
2. Creating a Pitch • Prepare what you will say about the event before you contact the media • What is the main idea of the event? • Who will be the contact at the event? • What is the background information? • What is the story? • Will a staff member have a potential interview? • Help the media decide to cover the event
3. Contacting the Media • Contact the outlet in a timely fashion • Ask what the deadline is • Brief your contact about the event • Find out the best days for news of your event to be included • Ask the reporter when you have the story, the people, the event
Increasing Media AttentionQ & A Do you have any questions about Increasing Media Attention? 3 MINUTES Please note: there will be an open forum at the end of this webinar to discuss any other topics
OPEN FORUM Please use this time to ask any questions you may have about how to attract media attention, public relations or communications. For future questions or further discussions, you're welcome to contact us: Christine Gerberding: firstname.lastname@example.org Tsemaye Opubor Hambraeus: email@example.com Susanne von Bassewitz: firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you for participating in today’s webinar!