1 / 33

Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) Relocation Allowances

Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) Relocation Allowances. Pam Silvis- Zelasko , CRP Program Analyst Travel and Transportation Management Policy (MTT) Office of Travel, Transportation and Asset Management . Training Topics. What is the Federal Travel Regulation and who has to follow it.

Télécharger la présentation

Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) Relocation Allowances

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. Content is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only. Download presentation by click this link. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server. During download, if you can't get a presentation, the file might be deleted by the publisher.


Presentation Transcript

  1. Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) Relocation Allowances Pam Silvis-Zelasko, CRPProgram AnalystTravel and Transportation Management Policy (MTT) Office of Travel, Transportation and Asset Management

  2. Training Topics • What is the Federal Travel Regulation and who has to follow it. • Frequently asked questions • Eligibility, authorizations, time limits, service agreements, types of allowances, per diem rates, transportation, househunting trips, household goods, TQ, residence transactions, relocation service companies, miscellaneous allowances and more! • More training opportunities • Research and Questions

  3. FEDERAL TRAVEL REGULATION (FTR) • Issued by GSA to implement Title 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) Chapter 57 regarding travel, transportation, and subsistence expenses of federal civilian employees • FTR is a “legislative rule” proclaimed by Congress – it is entitled to special weight & binding on federal agencies (41 Code of Federal Regulation) • Agency policy/regulations are “interpretive rules” since they are typically issued without statutory authority and are generally used to implement and supplement the FTR for civilian employees

  4. Frequently Asked Questions • How many lbs. of household goods (HHG) may I ship? • Can I have multiple pickup locations? • Can I leave my HHG in storage until my house is built? • Can I claim PBP&E once my HHG’s are determined to be overweight? What is PBP&E? • Does my agency have to provide relocation benefits? • Is there a cap on the value that my home can be in order to be eligible for real estate reimbursement?

  5. RELOCATION ELIGIBILITY FTR 302-1.1 • Who is eligible for relocation expense allowance under this chapter? • A new appointee appointed to the first official duty station • An employee transferring in the interest of the Government from one agency or duty station to another • An employee performing travel in accordance with overseas tour travel renewal agreement • An employee separating from a overseas assignment • An employee that is being assigned to a temporary duty station in connection with long term assignment

  6. TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION FTR 302-2.1 • When may I begin my transfer or reassignment? • You may begin your transfer or reassignment only after your agency has approved your travel authorization (TA) in writing (paper or electronic) • Sign a Service Agreement to remain in the federal government for a specific period of time. (FTR 302-2.12)

  7. TIME LIMIT FTR 302-2.8 • When must I complete all aspects of my relocation? • You and your immediate family members must complete all aspects of your relocation within two years from the effective date of your transfer or appointment date – There are exceptions ( FTR 302-11.22)

  8. FTR 302.3.101 As a transferred employee what relocation allowances must my agency pay or reimburse me for incident to a permanent change of station (PCS)? As a transferred employee there are mandatory and discretionary relocation expenses. Once an agency decisionis made to pay or reimburse relocation expenses indicated for the type of transfer, all the mandatory allowance must be paid or reimbursed, unless otherwise stated in the applicable parts TYPES OF ALLOWANCES

  9. FTR 302 – Types of Allowances Per Diem for employee/family members Transportation for employee/family members Househunting per diem/transportation Temporary Quarters Subsistence expense (TQSE) Transportation and Storage of Household goods (HHG) Shipment of Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) Real Estate expense – sell/purchase Miscellaneous Expense Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) TYPES OF ALLOWANCES

  10. PER DIEM EXPENSES FTR 302-4.200 • What per diem rate will I receive for en route relocation travel within CONUS? • Your per diem (lodging/meals/incidentals) rate for en route relocation travel between your old and new permanent duty station (PDS) will be at the standard CONUS rate (currently $116) and will be reimbursed in accordance with §§301-11.100 through 301-11.102 (TDY percentage)

  11. TRANSPORTATION FTR 302-4.300 • What is the POV mileage rate for PCS travel? • For approved/authorized PCS travel by POV, the mileage reimbursement rate is the same as the moving expense mileage rate established by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for moving expenses deductions. • Current rate is 16.5 cents per mile

  12. TRANSPORTATION FTR 302-4.400 • Will I be required to drive a minimum distance per day? • Yes, your agency may establish a reasonable minimum driving distance that may be more than, but not less than an average of 300 miles per calendar day

  13. HOUSE HUNTING TRIP FTR 302-5.2 • What is the purpose of the househunting trip expenses allowance? • Is intended to facilitate and expedite the employee’s move from old to new duty station AND to lower overall Government’s cost by reducing the amount of time an employee must occupy temporary quarters. ***This is an agency discretionary item ***

  14. HOUSE HUNTING TRIP FTR 302-5.3 • Am I eligible for a househunting trip expense allowance? • Yes, if you are authorized to transfer and….. • Both your old and new official stations are located within the U.S. • You are not assigned to Government or other prearranged housing at the new official station. • Your old and new official stations are 75 or more miles apart via usually traveled surface route.

  15. TEMPORARY QUARTERS SUBSISTENCE EXPENSES (TQSE) FTR 302-6.3 • What is the purpose of the TQSE allowance? • The TQSE allowance is intended to reimburse an employee reasonably and equitably for subsistence expenses incurred when necessary to occupy temporary quarters (when the official duty stations are 50 miles or more apart) ****Agency discretionary item ****

  16. TEMPORARY QUARTERS SUBSISTENCE EXPENSES (TQSE) FTR 302-6.8 • Who may occupy temporary quarters…? • Only you and/or your immediate family my occupy Temporary quarters at government expense. FTR 302-6.9 • Where may I/we occupy temporary quarters at Government expenses? • You and/or your immediate family may occupy temporary quarters at Government expense within reasonable proximity of your old and/or new official station

  17. HOUSEHOLDS GOODS (HHG) TRANSPORTATION FTR 302-7 • The maximum weight allowance of HHG that may be shipped or stored at Government expense is 18,000 pounds • Shipments may originate or terminate at any location; HOWEVER, reimbursement is limited to what would be paid had the property shipped in one lot from the authorized origin to the authorized destination.

  18. HOUSEHOLDS GOODS - STORAGE FTR 302-7.8 • Is there a time limit for the temporary storage of an authorized HHG shipment? • The initial period of temporary storage at Government expense shall not exceed 90 days. In no case may the maximum time limit for temporary storage exceed 180 days • What is PBP&E? Am I authorized to have PBP&E? Is it included in my weight? Can I store it?

  19. PRIVATELY OWNED VEHICLE (POV) TRANSPORTATION FTR 302-9.300 • When am I eligible for transportation of my POV within CONUS at Government expenses? • You are an employee who transfers within CONUS in the interest of the Government; or • You are a new appointee or student trainee relocating to your first official station in CONUS (Must also be more advantageous and cost effective for the government) *** Discretionary item ***

  20. RESIDENCE TRANSACTION ALLOWANCES FTR 302-11.1 • What is the purpose of an allowance for expenses incurred in connection with residence transactions? • The purpose is to reimburse you when you transfer from and old to a new official duty station for the expenses that you incur due to the sale of one residence at the old duty station, and/or the purchase of a residence at the new duty station. (This is the entitlement-direct reimbursement and is taxable income)

  21. RESIDENCE TRANSACTION TIME FRAME FTR 302-11.21 • How long do I have to submit my claim for reimbursement of expenses incurred in connection with my residence transactions? • You claim should be submitted to your agency as soon as possible after the transactions occurred. • The settlement dates for sale/purchase must occur not later than 2 years after the day of reporting to the new duty station. (unless preapproved extension)

  22. RESIDENCE TRANSACTION EXPENSES FTR 302-11.200 • What residence transactions expenses will my agency pay? • Provided that they are customarily paid by the seller at origin or purchaser at destination, the agency may pay the following expenses: Broker’s Fee FHA / VA fee for loan application Real estate commission Loan origination fee NTE 1% Appraisal Preparing credit reports Advertising Mortgage and transfer taxes Title Insurance State revenue stamps Title search Prepayment penalties

  23. RESIDENCE TRANSACTION EXPENSE LIMIT FTR 302-11.300 • Is there a limit on how much an agency will reimburse me for residence transactions? • You agency will reimburse you no more than: • 10% of the actual sales price for the sale of the residence at the old duty station, and/or; • 5% of the actual purchase price of the residence for the purchase of a residence at the new official station *******Residences must be the one in which the employee commutes to and from work on a daily basis.

  24. RELOCATION SERVICES COMPANY FTR 302-12.2 Who determines if I may use a RSC? • Your agency must determine if you may use an RSC FTR 302-12.4 For what relocation services expenses will my agency pay? • Your agency will pay the relocation service company’s fee/expenses for the services you are authorized to use in selling your residence

  25. RELOCATION SERVICES COMPANY FTR 302-12.8 • If my agency authorizes me to enter a homesale program, must I accept a buyout offer from the relocation services company? • No, If your agency authorizes you to enter a homesale program, your agency must give you the option to accept or reject an offer from the relocation services company FTR 302-12.112? • May we pay loss on sale? • No.

  26. MISCELLANEOUS ALLOWANCES FTR 302-16.2 • What is the purpose of the miscellaneous expenses allowance (MEA)? • The MEA is to help defray some of the costs incurred due to relocating and is related to expenses that are common to living quarters, furnishings, household appliances, and to other general types of costs inherent in relocation of a place of residence

  27. MISCELLANEOUS ALLOWANCES FTR 302-16.102 • What amount may my agency reimburse me for miscellaneous expenses allowance? • Single - Either $500 or the equivalent of one week’s basic gross pay, whichever is lesser • Family – Either $1000 or the equivalent of two week’s basic gross pay, whichever is lesser

  28. RELOCATION INCOME TAX (RIT) ALLOWANCE FTR 302-17.1 • Payment of a relocation income tax (RIT) allowance is authorized to reimburse eligible transferred employees for substantially all of the additional Federal, State, and local income taxes incurred by the employee, or by the employee and spouse if a joint tax return is filed, as a result of certain travel and transportation expense and relocation allowances which are furnished in kind, or for which reimbursement or an allowance is provided by the Government

  29. RELOCATION INCOME TAX (RIT) ALLOWANCE FTR 302-17.3 • Types of moving expenses or allowances covered and general limitations • RIT allowance is limited by law as to the types of moving expenses that can be covered • The law authorizes reimbursement of additional income taxes resulting from certain moving expenses furnished in kind or for which reimbursement or an allowance is provided to the transferred employee by the Government • Moving expenses are covered by the RIT allowance only to the extent that they are actually paid or incurred, and are not allowable as a moving expense deduction for tax purposes

  30. Reason for FTR Changes • Age • Audits – Compliance • Best Practices - Evaluations • Changing Industry Standards • Laws Changes

  31. TRAINING • GSA Travel Training Branch offers a wide range of courses throughout the calendar year in locations around the country www.gsa.gov/traveltransportationtraining • Conference Planning • Relocation Allowances • Relocation Income Tax Allowances • Temporary Duty Travel – Joint Travel Regulation (JTR Vol.2) • Temporary Duty Travel – Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) • Advanced Temporary Duty Travel: FTR

  32. Research and Questions FTR Policy Questions: First Stop: Your agency Travel Policy Office Email: travelpolicy@gsa.gov Check out the following web sites: www.gsa.gov/relopolicy - (Handbooks) www.cbca.gsa.gov www.gsa.gov/ftr

  33. THANK YOU It has been my pleasure speaking to you today! Pam Silvis-Zelasko, CRP (202) 219-7749 (voice) (202) 501-0349 (fax) Pamela.silvis-zelasko@gsa.gov

More Related