Download
electronic devices prepared by kazi md shahiduzzaman n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Electronic Devices Prepared by Kazi Md. Shahiduzzaman PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Electronic Devices Prepared by Kazi Md. Shahiduzzaman

Electronic Devices Prepared by Kazi Md. Shahiduzzaman

132 Vues Download Presentation
Télécharger la présentation

Electronic Devices Prepared by Kazi Md. Shahiduzzaman

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Electronic DevicesPrepared by Kazi Md. Shahiduzzaman Transistor

  2. Outline of this chapter • To know about the Transistor • Defining transistor and it’s symbol • To get a brief idea about transistor action • Transistor working as an amplifier • Different type of Transistor connection and their characteristics • Transistor load line analysis and operation point determination

  3. Transistor Definition: A transistor consists of two pn junctions formed by sandwiching either p-type or n-type semiconductor between a pair of opposite types. There are two type of Transistor • n-p-n transistor • p-n-p transistor A transistor transfers a signal from a low resistance to high resistance.

  4. There are three terminals in a transistor: a. Emitter b. Base c. Collector Emitter. The section on one side that supplies charge carriers (electrons or holes) iscalled the emitter. The emitter is always forward biased w.r.t. base so that it can supply alarge number of majority carriers. Base:The middle section which forms two pn-junctions between the emitter and collectoris called the base. The base-emitter junction is forward biased, allowing low resistance forthe emitter circuit. The base-collector junction is reverse biased and provides high resistance in the collectorcircuit. Collector. The section on the other side that collects the charges is called the collector. The collector is always reverse biased. Its function is to remove charges from its junction with the base.

  5. Transistor Action • Some of the following points should be noted before describing the Transistor Action: • The emitter-base junction of a transistor is forward biased • Whereas collector-base junction is reverse biased • Working of n-p-n transistor: • Figure shows forward bias to emitter-base junction • Reverse bias to collector-base junction. • The electrons in the n-type emitter to flow towards the base. • They tend to combine with holes. • Only a few electrons (< 5%) combine with holes • The remainder (> 95%) cross over into the collector region So almost the entire emitter current flows in the collector circuit. It is clear that emitter current is the sum of collector and base currents i.e. IE= IB + IC

  6. Transistor Symbol

  7. Transistor works as an amplifier • A transistor acts as an amplifier. • Figureshowsthe basic circuit of a transistor amplifier. • Theweak signal is applied between emitter-basejunction • Output is taken across the load RCconnected in the collector circuit. • In order toachievefaithfulamplification,theinput circuit should always remain forwardbiased. • The input circuit has low resistance. • The collector current flowing through a high load resistance RC produces a large voltage across it. • The collector current flowing through a high load resistance RC produces a large voltage across it. • A weak signal applied in the input circuit appears in the amplified form in the collector circuit.

  8. Transistor Connection A transistor can be connected in a circuit in the following three ways : (i) common base connection (ii) common emitter connection • (iii) common collector connection Common Base Connection In this circuit arrangement • Input is applied between emitter and base • Output is taken from collector and base C.B. Connection for N-P-N transistor C.B. Connection for P-N-P transistor

  9. Current amplification factor (α): The ratio of change in collector current to the change in emitter current at constant collectorbase voltage VCB is known as current amplification factor • Characteristics of Common Base Connection: • Input characteristic • Output characteristic Input characteristic It is the curve between emitter current IE and emitter-base voltage VEB at constant collector-base voltage VCB. (i) The emitter current IE increases rapidly with small increase in emitter-base voltage VEB. (ii) The emitter current is almost independent of collector-base voltage VCB.

  10. Output characteristic It is the curve between collector current IC and collector-base voltage VCB at constant emitter current IE. (i) The collector current Icvarieswith VCB only at very low voltages (<1V). (ii)When the value of VCB is raisedabove 1 − 2 V, the collector current becomes constant as indicated by straighthorizontal curves. • (iii) A very large change in collector base voltage produces only a tiny change in collector current.

  11. Common Emitter Connection: