110 likes | 263 Vues
Building Strong Families. Journal “In a united family, happiness springs of itself.” Chinese Proverb Is your family united? How can you help unite and strengthen your family?. What are the Secrets of a Strong Family?. 1. Appreciation. Give it Frequently
E N D
Building Strong Families Journal “In a united family, happiness springs of itself.” Chinese Proverb Is your family united? How can you help unite and strengthen your family?
1. Appreciation • Give it Frequently • Be Appreciative of “Invisible Work” • Behavior is Contagious! • Don’t Give Up Too Quickly
2. Affection • Small touches, hugs & kisses • Use verbal affection often (appreciation, compliments, etc.) • Develops bonding • Don’t assume they “already know it”
3. Commitment • Go with each other when one of you has an activity. • Share daily experiences. • Show that you are in it for long haul. (You won’t give up on family easily.)
4. Time Together • Quality time is better than quantity time. • Family Experiences • Vacations • Camping • Daily Experiences • Eating together!!!! • Chores • Doing homework • The purpose of the experience is to strengthen the relationship.
5. Creative Problem Solving • Strong families can solve problems in creative ways. • Happy families have the same number of arguments, but they focus on happy times. • It is ok to have problems, but the key is to solve them quickly. • The longer you are in an argument, the harder it is to get out. Why?
6. Communication • Communication is the key! • Be willing to share daily events and experiences often to foster communication. • Without communication, the family unit falls apart. • Is there a member of your family that you have not talked to for a long time because of a conflict? How does this lack of communication make you feel?
Instructions In your packet, turn to the page with a shield drawn on it. Divide your shield into FOUR equal sections to create your family crest. In each section, draw a picture that represents one idea about your family.
Ideas Include: Be Creative and Use Color! Flags that represent the countries your families came from Pictures of foods that are common to your ethnicity Pictures that represent your first or last name Drawings that depict favorite family events, celebrations or traditions