Negative & Interrogative Sentences Grammar and Vocabulary Ⅱ September 27, 2011
Three wishes • Express English, BBC Learning English • http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/general/expressenglish/2011/02/110217_ee_3wishes_page.shtml • “If you can have three wishes, what will you wish for?” • Let's listen to what some people in London told us • Then tell us your own wishes!
In London, some people wished for world peace and an end to greed. Others wished for something for themselves, like to travel round the world or to own an expensive sports car. • One man wished for health, happiness and love. • We hope their wishes come true.
Exercise 1 (1) (Am/Are/Is) you a student? ⇒ Are you a student? (2) (Am/Are/Is) Ms. Miller a doctor? ⇒ Is Ms. Miller a doctor? (3) Mike (don’t/doesn’t/didn’t) smoke any more. ⇒ Mike doesn’t smoke any more.
(4) (Will/Shall/May) you be 20 years old next month? ⇒ Will you be 20 years old next month? (5) We (don’t/didn’t/won’t) be able to stay at such an expensive hotel. ⇒ We won’t be able to stay …. (6) (Do/Does/Are) this shirt go with that tie? ⇒ Does this shirt go with that tie?
(7) (Will/Do/Are) it be alright with you? ⇒ Will it be alright with you? (8) (Are/Does/Will) you do me a favor? ⇒ Will you do me a favor?
Exercise 2 (1) ( ) is the nearest post office? ⇒ Where 「あそこです」 ⇒ It is over there. (2) ( ) do universities start the new school year in Britain? ⇒ When 「9月です」 ⇒ They start it in September.
(3) ( ) do you like Japan? ⇒How 「とても気に入りました」 ⇒ I like it very much. (4) ( ) is your favorite food? ⇒ What 「ステーキです」 ⇒ I like steaks.
(5) ( ) is the president of that company? ⇒ Who 「スミスさんです」 ⇒ Mr.(or Ms.) Smith is. (6) ( ) is it from your home to the nearest station? ⇒ How far 「約500メートルです」 ⇒ It is about 500 meters.
(7) ( ) is that novelist so famous? ⇒ Why 「たくさんの本を書いたからです」 ⇒ Because he/she wrote (so) many books.
Exercise 3 ⇒ WEB Exercise (Chapter 11_3)