Women’s participation in local politics in Turkey Needs assessment to women parliamentarians UNDP Turkey
Why only 2%? • Societal misperception; Male job. • Underestimated Role of Women = Lack of interest? • Low educational level • Lack of political skills • Lack of Support : Financial – Moral – Social Facilities • Political Party System: Barriers to be in the candidates list.
2) What entry points? • Women can also do it • Women’s Solidarity • Economic empowerment • Trainings: • Starting from early ages • Engage men and women • On local politics mechanisms • Political parties (quota) • Women’s branches (niche) • Civil Society Organizations (bridge) Young women?? Civic Engagement Women’s & Youth branches Engagement from provincial units level
3) Current support for candidates? Young women?? Promotion within the youth branches Mentorship projects Promotion for trainings participation Political Academy within political parties on Local administration: 30% quota in participation to academy target of 10% of trained women elected for local elections
4) Support as Parliamentarian • Transferring my personal experience and knowledge to women’s branches educational activities • Being a member of an independent women’s research center • By acting as a mentor for future young candidates • By inviting and encouraging women to work for political parties and become candidates
5) What skills do candidates need? • Communicational skills (with media, with other political parties, with local structures) • Leadership personal qualities (passion, humor, empathy, patience, common sense, trustworthiness, creativity, sensitivity) • General knowledge on history, culture and politics • Institutional and representative skills • Ability to transform professional knowledge into political actions
6) Top Necessities? • Long term strategic skills need to be improved • Equal support within the party • Social sensitivity & societal needs awareness • Financial support • Moral support; Motivation • Family support • Patience • Team work; team support