You’ve heard the saying that the Earth is mostly water. But what percent of Earth is water? Salt water oceans make up 71% of the Earth’s surface, which the other 29% made up of the Earth’s continents and islands.
29% land 71% water
There are five major oceans: the Atlantic, the Pacific (the largest), the Indian, the Arctic and the Southern Ocean.
What is the difference between an ocean and a sea? Seas are smaller than oceans and are usually located where the land and ocean meet.
The blue whale, the largest animal on our planet ever (exceeding the size of the greatest dinosaurs) still lives in the ocean; it's heart is the size of a Volkswagen
Biggest Fish Whale Shark The whale shark is a the biggest shark and the biggest fish. It is NOT a whale. This enormous shark is a filter feeder and sieves enormous amounts of plankton to eat through its gills as it swims.
How_much_ plankton_does_a_whale _shark_eat_per_ day? 5 BILLION!
The swordfish and marlin are the fastest fish in the ocean reaching speeds up to 75 mph in quick bursts
The bluefin tuna may reach sustained speeds up to 56 mph. The average length of a bluefin tuna is 6.5 feet and 550 pounds. In January 2001, a prime, 444-lb bluefin tuna sold in a Japanese fish market for $173,600, a world record.
World’s smallest fish is 0.31 inches Paedocypris
Oarfish - The World's Longest Fish • Oarfish are the longest of all fish with at least one reported to be 56 ft. It is thought that some of the old sailors’ tales of sea serpents or sea monsters stem from sightings of the oarfish. They are rarely seen since they usually live at profound depths in the ocean at 660 ft, but occasionally they will wash up on the sea shore or are forced up to the surface after violent storms. • Oarfish have long, slim, usually shiny silver bodies, with bright crimson fins, often with a large red plume on the head, and other long fins. The tail fin is not very long but has long rays covered in spines. Another interesting trait is that they hold themselves straight up and down in the water. They are not known to be of any commercial value, and the meat is reported to be inedible.
Did you know...? Sharks attack some 50-75 people each year worldwide, with perhaps 8-12 fatalities, according to data compiled in the International Shark Attack File. Although shark attacks get a lot of attention, this is far less than the number of people killed each year by elephants, bees, crocodiles, lightning or many other natural dangers. On the other side of the ledger, we kill somewhere between 20-100 million sharks every year through fishing activities.
Octopus Fun Facts Basic facts • It has a soft body with a well developed brain. They are very intelligent. • It has eyes on each side of its head. They are completely deaf. • It communicates by changing color, (when it is scared it turns white.) • The prefix octo means eight. An octopus has eight arms called tentacles. • Each tentacle has 240 suction cups to grasp its prey. That's 1,920 total suction cups! • It releases ink to distract enemies while it swims away. • If arm is cut off it can regenerate it. Eating habits • The octopus eats shellfish such as crabs. • The octopus poisons its prey to paralyze it. • It mainly hunts at night. Babies • The female octopus lays up to 150,000 eggs in two weeks.. Now let’s watch an octopus and other sea animals in action: Underwater Astonishments
OLDEST sea animal: Turtles are reptiles and records show their existence during the days of the dinosaurs 200 million years ago. Most are nomads and travel about 1,300 miles a day!
Fishing is considered to be the most dangerous job in the world. Fishermen risk the highest percentage of death and injury—more than even firefighters or policemen.
Americans LOVE to eat seafood! Alaska Salmon Our favorites include: trout, halibut, tuna & Shrimp Crab Legs Lobster
DIVE INTO READING Your rewards for diving into reading and making your goals are:
First, you will get to choose a gift from the sea….a sand dollar or a starfish, while the selections last….then…….
You will get to have a library lunch and enjoy watching “Finding Nemo”
You get to choose a duck….your choices are: surfing, beach, luau or hula dancer….again, while choices last!
You can choose from a striped mini beach ball or from a tie-dyed mini beach ball and……
Last, but not least, you get to choose between a tropical ruler bookmarker or a flip flop ruler bookmarker, while choices last!
AR STORES We will have only 2 AR stores, one at the end of each semester. Points will accumulate for only that semester.
Each Monday winners will be announced over intercom. • Those students come to the library and choose a small treat. • Homeroom teacher chooses this person. WEEKLY TOP READER
We will have a classroom fish race based on % of people who have met their GOAL