“IT`S WORTH VISITING !” Sights in the Timis County “Liceul Pedagogic Carmen Sylva Timişoara
About the Timis County… Timiş is a county in the western part of Romania, in the historical region called Banat. The county seat is Timişoara. It is the largest county in Romania. The name of the county comes from the river Timiş, known in Roman times as river Tibisis or Tibiscus. The county is also part of the Danube-Kris-Mures - Tisa euroregion.This county has a total area of 8,697 km² (3,6% of Romania). It is the largest county in Romania.In the eastern extremity are the Poiana Ruscăi Mountains from the Southern Carpathians group. Elevations decrease to the west, passing through the Lipova Hills to the Western Romanian Plain, the eastern part of the Pannonian Plain.The county is crossed by many rivers, the most important being the Bega River and the Timiş River.
The Banloc Castle Dauerbach Palace The Fabric New Synagogue in Timisoara Lloyd Palace Merbl Palace Szenchenyi Palace Dejan or Deschan Palace Saint George’s Cathedral Weiss Palace The John Baptist Wood Church To find out more information click on the map sightseeing
Less known in Timisoara The New Synagogue of the Fabric district in Timişoara, is situated in Colonia Street. It is a Neologue synagogue in the Fabric district of the Romanian city of Timişoara, in the region of Banat. It was built when Timişoara was a part of Transylvania and integrated in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The style is Neo-Moorish; it remains one of the most impressive buildings in the city. The building was designed by the well-known Hungarian architect Lipot Baumhorn (or Leopold Baumhorn), based in Budapest, and the construction itself was under the direction of local contractor Josef Kremmer. The synagogue's organ was built by a local master, Leopold Wegenstein. The reputation of the women's choir survives to this day.
Merbl Palace Merbl Palace is a historic building in Victory Square in Timisoara. It was built by the architect Arnold Merbl. It is situated between the two Neuhausz Palace .
Dejan or Deschan Palace Dejan or Deschan Palace was built in 1735 and belonged to a French family. Erected in a neoclassical style the building has three floors, ground and second floors and is adorned with some facade of Corinthian columns. The owners were of the French origin Dejean, but later changed in to Deschan. Many people associate it with a Bazaar. After the revolution, the building has been returned and refurbished by the current owners. Currently they are within the commercial areas.
Saint George’s Cathedral The St.George's Cathedral, Timişoara or The Dome is located in Timişoara, Romania, at Piaţa Unirii, in the centre of town. The cathedral's foundation stone was put on 6th of August 1736. It was designed by Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach from Vienna, then Hans Lechner continued the building from 1750. It was finished by two architects from Timişoara, Johann Theodor Kostka and Carl Alexander Steinlein in 1774. The Dome was built in Austrian baroque style and it was dedicated to Saint George, the dioceses patron saint. The picture located at the high altar was painted by Michel Angelo Unterberger, the director of fine arts academy of Vienna, illustrating the patron saint. The side altars were painted by Johann Nepomuk Schöpf in 1772. The precious oil-lamps were made by Josef Moser. The organ was made by Leopold Wegenstein, and it provides an impressive experience for the ears. The cathedrals bells were renewed in Germany in 1998.
Lloyd Palace Lloyd palace is a monumental building having three floors, placed on Timişoara`s promenade. It was realized in an eclectic style with secession influences in 1910-1912 following Leopold Baumhorn`s plan. On the first floor ran the Agricultural Exchange, the Lloyd Companionship and on the second and third floors there were apartments. On the ground floor there was the Lloyd Café, before the war Wien Café, the meeting place of Timişoara`s elite. Since 1948 it has become the seat of the rector`s office of the Polytechnic University from Timişoara; on the ground floor the Lloyd restaurant operates. From the former luxury pieces of baseboard, mirrors, remnants of coloured windows and some chandeliers are left.
Weiss Palace Weiss Palace, was built in 1912 and is located in the Republic Avenue. The building was designed by Arnold Merbl, and the gable is the result of Székely László’s efforts. The Weiss Family produced many well known personalities in Timisoara that were doctors and businessmen; this building’s construction was a profitable deal for them.
Dauerbach Palace Dauerbach Palace was built in 1913 for Georg Dauerbach, who in 1911 bought an empty property 1240 square meters big from the town hall; his aim was to build a house with places for rent. The architect of the building was László Székely, a well known specialist at that time. The Dauerbach Palace is one of the many Timisorean buildings designed by Székely.
Szvechenyi Palace Szechenyi Palace is a historical monument which was built between 1900 and 1914 by Szechenyi Society, according to architect László Székely's plans. It is a four-level building with balconies and a tower at its corner. During the December 1989 Revolution, scenes taking place in front of the Orthodox Cathedral were recorded from one the windows of the building; its historical importance is evident. The palace is located on the Corso side of Victory Square.
Banloc Castle Banloc Castle is one of the best known castles in the Banat region. It’s name means “The Place of the Master”. The castle was built by the Karacsonyi family in 1793, in renaissance style, the shape of a “U”. Later it become the property of the Romanian Royal Family.
The John Baptist Wood Church The John Baptist Wood Church was created in the XVII century. It was first built on the Mures Valley and then was brought in Romanesti. It is built of oak beams that close in a “robin tail”, in shape of a ship and placed in the village’s cemetery. It contains icons painted by a an illiterate peasant a man without school, but they were modified, keeping the original style. Since the other one has been built, it became the church where now take place the funeral services.