eMINTS PD That Works Ten years of experience in developing high quality professional development for teachers. Cathie Loesing Program Coordinator
eWHAT? enhancing Missouri’s Instructional Networked Teaching Strategies
eMINTS was a grass-roots program designed by teachers. 1997 St. Louis Schools 2003 Utah 2008 Australia
Today eMINTS teachers are in over 4000 classrooms in the U.S. and Australia
The eMINTS model is not traditional teaching. Comprehension Skill Mastery Focus Text-based Standards-based Scope Separate Integrated Subjects Variety of Projects Assessment Tests
Happy Tenth Anniversary Happy Anniversary! The lessons and how to use them.
2. Effective professional development experiences are sustained and ongoing.Disimone, 2001 = more than 200 hours over a two year period.
3. Support and modeling are necessary for teaching strategies to be successfully integrated into practice.Joyce and Showers, 2002 = purposeful in-classroom support and coaching are provided by eIS.
4. Effective staff development is deeply embedded in teachers’ classroom work with children.Russo, 2004 = closely related to daily teaching with the teacher as the decision-maker.
5. Schools with successful professional development initiatives have strong administrative support.Joyce and Showers, 2002 = 4Admin program
6. Professional development is more successful when teachers participate as a school, grade, or department.Porter, 2000 = whole school implementations
What do eMINTS teachers do? Commit to PD Align strategies to the curriculum and standards Plan very different teaching strategies
Direct Personal Learning Prepare for the future Become Responsible What do eMINTS students do? Get excited about learning Read/Scan information Work Together
The Results: 1. Students enrolled in eMINTS classrooms scored higher on state tests than students in traditional classrooms. Up to ½ year additional growth in CA and Math.
The Results: 2. eMINTS classrooms show reduced deficits for low-income and SpEd students. In fact, the effect of eMINTS was greatest for these students.
The Results: 3. High-quality professional development can change teaching practice. eMINTSprofessional development has been shown to maintain an effect up through three years following completion.
The Results: 4. Program fidelity contributes to successful professional development eMINTS Instructional Specialists exhibit a great degree of fidelity to the core program. There is a significant positive correlation between PD Fidelity and student achievement on state tests.
In Race to the Top What’s Next? • Delaware • Tennessee
Investing In Innovation What Else? Validation Randomized Control 62 Missouri schools Rural and low-income Poor academic performance 7th and 8th grade 2010-2015
Contact for more information Cathie Loesing firstname.lastname@example.org www.emints.org