Download
boating infrastructure needs in texas the big report n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report

Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report

299 Vues Download Presentation
Télécharger la présentation

Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report Robert B. Ditton & Fannie Chang in cooperation with Dewayne Hollin Texas A&M University

  2. Purpose • BIG Research Program: To help state agency officials develop a meaningful plan to provide better access to boaters • Sport Fishing and Boating Safety Act of 1998: A concern for meeting the infrastructure needs of boaters with non-trailerable boats 26 feet and over

  3. Figure 2. Residence Distribution of All Persons Owning TPWD-Registered Boats 26 Feet and Over in Length

  4. Figure 4. Residence Distribution of All Persons Owning TPWD-Registered Boats Under 26 Feet

  5. Figure 5. Spatial Distribution of All Marinas

  6. Approach • Spring 2002 • Telephone survey of random sample of 700 boat owners: 350 of boats 26 feet and over, 350 of boats under 26 feet. • Telephone survey of 221 of 324 marina operators or representatives; asked if they provide access facilities for boats 26 feet and over, under 26 feet, or both

  7. Questions for Boat Owners • Description of boat used most often • Boating activities and preferences • Preferences for facility needs • Constraints to boating participation

  8. Questions for Marina Operators • Marina characteristics in terms of facilities • The need for changes at their facilities • Description of boater market

  9. Results: Boat Owners (26Ft and Over) • Average boat length = 30 feet • Most were sailboats (28%) and cabin cruisers (gasoline) (25%) • 48% reported the # of transient tie-ups was “about right”; 25% wanted a “lot more” • Tie-ups were needed: Lake Texoma, Galveston Bay, Lake Travis, Clear Lake, and Port Aransas.

  10. Results: Boat Owners (< 26Ft) • Average boat length = 16 feet • Most were bass boats (28%) and open motor boats (24%) • 57% reported the # of access sites was“about right”; 23% wanted a “few more” • More boat access sites needed: Lake Ray Roberts, Lake Ray Hubbard, Galveston Bay, Lake Travis, Lake Livingston, and Canyon Lake.

  11. Results: Marina Operators • 124 of 144 marinas have transient slips with an average of 31/ facility • 60% have less than 15 TS; another 31% have 15- 50. • Most (>50%) rated their facility conditions as “good” or “excellent” • Most (53%) operators were satisfied with the number of transient tie-up facilities; the remaining 47% were not

  12. Discussion Points • Useful to look at boating demand and supply relationships in light of demographic change • Boating is expected to grow more slowly from 1998- 2030; declining rate of participation • Increased demand for facilities in metropolitan areas

  13. Discussion Points • Transient boat issue: Most boaters “used their boat where it is kept!” • We gained little insight to transient boaters and their behavior and needs • Mandated methodology left much to be desired • There are few data available re: boating in support public policy making

  14. http://lutra.tamu.edu/hdlab/ Downloads

  15. Figure 1. Residence Distribution of 350 Respondents with TPWD-Registered Boats 26 Feet and Over in Length

  16. Figure 3. Residence Distribution of 350 Respondents with TPWD-Registered Boats Under 26 Feet

  17. Figure 6. Spatial Distribution of 221 Responded Marinas