TELSTRA FACT SHEET NBN ROLLOUT INFORMATION This fact sheet is designed to inform you about the different types of construction activity that will take place in your street during the NBN rollout. TELSTRA HAS ESTABLISHED A HOTLINE FOR ANY RESIDENT CONCERNED ABOUT WORK IN THEIR AREA. THE NUMBER IS 1800 067 225. WHAT IS THE NBN? The National Broadband Network (NBN) is a government initiative to ensure all Australians can accesshigh-speed broadband. The NBN will be built on a region-by-region basis across the country and is scheduled to be complete by 2021. On completion, fibre will reach 93% of Australian premises. The remaining 7% of premises will be served by either fixed wireless or satellite technologies. WHO IS BUILDING THE NBN? A government-owned company called NBN Co has been created to build, install, and maintain the NBN. NBN Co is currently rolling out the NBN network in various parts of Australia. NBN Co determines when and where it installs the new network. To check on NBN Co’s rollout schedule, visit their website: www.nbnco.com.au Telstra does not have a say in NBN Co’s roll out schedule but it does have a significant role in the rollout of the NBN. NBN Co and Telstra reached a deal to re-use Telstra infrastructure, where possible, to reduce the need for more disruptive digging. HOW IS IT BEING BUILT? The work required at each location may differ but generally, there are a few key steps that need to happen to bring NBN to your street. Each of these will involve a different group of telecommunication workers doing various activities in the network infrastructure around Australia. WHO DOES THE WORK? NBN Co and Telstra both use contractors to carry out the steps described above. The contracting companies used vary from state to state. You are always welcome to ask to see the contractor's identification that confirms they are working on behalf of either Telstra or NBN Co. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? It is estimated that the average time from the start of NBN construction to services being available is around 12 months. Building the underground option for the NBN will take around 10 days of physical work per street, however this can vary dependant upon a number of factors. TELSTRA CORPORATION LIMITED - ISSUED 13 JUNE 2013
TELSTRA FACT SHEET: GENERAL ASBESTOS INFORMATION • NBN CONSTRUCTION STEPS • Step 1:NBN Co or its contractors will inspect the pits and pipes to identify parts that will need to be upgraded or fixed before the fibre cable is installed. • You can expect to see teams of workers opening pits to check Telstra ducts by pushing a continuous fibreglass rod between pits to ensure that the ducts are usable and free of blockages. Some flushing of the ducts by clean water may be undertaken to remove debris and fluid, which is then collected by a vacuum truck. • Step 2: Telstra receives detailed design documents from NBN identifying areas that need upgrading and Telstra field teams will work on the necessary remediation. • You can expect to see traffic management, construction vehicles, workplace guards and warning signs. • In situations where a pit needs to be replaced, you can expect to see barriers and working signs around the general work are, teams of workers in asbestos safety equipment breaking the existing pit apart and disposing of it in large plastic bags. You can also expect to see sections of nature strips excavated to make way for the new material. Telstra contractors will replace displaced soil and clean up the worksite when the job is finished. • Step 3: NBN Co teams will install the fibre cable into the network. Where there is insufficient space, additional ducts may be added between pits. • You can expect to see traffic management, construction vehicles, large reels of cable and open pits through which workers will deploy the new fibre. • ASBESTOS IN TELSTRA INFRASTRUCTURE • As the construction of Telstra’s network dates back over many years, some of our pits and ducts were manufactured from asbestos-containing cement. • Telstra has in place an Asbestos Management Procedure which was developed with reference to relevant state and federal laws. This procedure provides guidance on how Telstra employees and contractors are to manage working with asbestos. • Telstra provides training to field employees who have to work with ACM in Telstra’s infrastructure in relation to asbestos awareness and in relation to Telstra’s procedure for management and removal. • IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER • During the rollout and while workers are in your street, it’s important to recognise that areas that are usually open to the public – such as nature strips and footpaths – will be active work areas and, in some cases, construction zones. • At no time should a member of the public enter a worksite or collect debris at a worksite. • If you are concerned about specific work being conducted in your area we encourage you to get in contact with us on 1800 067 225.