Twenty Questions 8th Grade CRCT Review
1. Michiko is writing a research paper on the importance of a healthy diet. Which question should she probably address in organizing her paper? • How many restaurants are there in the United States? • What foods and food groups are considered by experts to be healthiest? • How many pounds of meat does the average person consume in a year? • What spices are most popular in foods around the world?
2. The yo-yo is a toy that has been played with by kids for more than 2,500 years. It’s the second oldest toy in history, the oldest being the doll. In ancient Greece, children often played a yo-yo on a family altar as a rite of passage into adulthood. The popularity of the yo-yo continues today. It was even the first toy sent into outer space during a space mission. What is the author’s purpose in writing the paragraph? • To entertain • To persuade • To inform • To explain
3. Dark shadows loomed over my bed like gnarled hands reaching out to pluck me from my cocoon. I ducked my head under the blanket and hoped I’d sleep with no lingering nightmares tonight. The grandfather clock downstairs chimed an ominous midnight toll while branches outside my window pecked at the cloudy panes. How does the narrator handle the nighttime? • He welcomes it. • He is afraid of it. • It makes him sad. • None of the above
4. Once upon a time there was a fox that entered an actor’s house and began rummaging through all the actor’s costumes. The fox found a mask that was an admirable imitation of a human face. He then said, “Although this is a beautiful face, it is valueless because it has no brains.” What is the theme of the fable? • Actors have masks. • You can’t trust a fox. • Beauty is nothing without brains. • Masks are valueless.
5. The best breakfast ever is coming to a cereal bowl near you. Try new Blueberry Banana Bran Flakes, and you will want some every day! What is the purpose of this writing? Choose the best answer. • To entertain • To persuade • To inform • To narrate
6. “Limerick” by EdwardThere was an Old Man with a beard,Who said “It is just as I feared! –Two Owl and a Hen,Four Larks and a Wren,Have all built their nests in my beard!” What literary device is used in lines 3-5? • Hyperbole • A simile • Personification • symbolism
7. Which of the following words is an example of an acronym? • Radio • Computer • NASA • antonym
In the sentence below, which pronoun would BEST replace the underlined word? The guide gave Marcia and me a special tour of the museum. • Them • Us • We • ourselves
9. What kind of sentence part is underlined in the sentence below? I believe that the Atlanta Braves are the most exciting team in baseball. • Noun clause • Adverb phrase • Adverb clause • Adjective clause
10. What kind of sentence is the one below? If I get the opportunity, I will go to computer camp and learn about programming. • Simple • Compound • Complex • Compound-complex
11. Which of the following is the BEST way to combine the sentences below? Roberto finished his painting of the ocean. He took the painting to the framing shop. • Roberto finished his painting of the ocean and took it to the framing shop. • Roberto finished his painting of the ocean, and he took the painting to the framing shop. • Roberto finished his painting of the ocean, he took it to the framing shop. • Roberto finished his painting of the ocean: He took it to the framing shop.
12. Which of the following sentences is a compound sentence? • He used a two-part solution. • Isaac Newton discovered gravity; Albert Einstein discovered relativity. • Columbus’ ships were named the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. • It’s a well-designed fitness program
For more than 70 years, the TVA has worked to make improvements in the Tennessee Valley. It has created new ways to maintain the land. It has stopped the annual flooding of inland waterways. It provides electricity for over one million people. It provides jobs for people living in the Tennessee Valley. Many difficult sacrifices had to be made to create the TVA, but it still gives back to the people who gave up things they loved. 13. In this passage tenant farmers means • Renters • Villagers • Owners • grocers
14. It was almost as if they tiptoed as they skittered across the carpet and settled among the folds of Callie’s pillow. The underlined phrase above is an example of • Personification • Metaphor • Onomatopoeia • symbolism
15. In the sentence below, what change should be made to correct the capitalization error? My brother attends Duke university in Raleigh, North Carolina, and my sister goes out west to Reed College in Portland, Oregon. • Use a small letter c in Carolina • Use a capital W in west • Use a capital U in university • Use a capital B in brother and a capital S in sister
16. Which would be a good topic sentence to begin a second paragraph following the passage below? Solar power is energy that comes from sunlight. Many think that solar power is one of the most promising new sources of energy. Solar power has three main benefits – it is not expensive, it is renewable, and it does not cause pollution. • Since the sun shines quite often in most areas, solar power constantly renews itself. • Once a system of solar batteries is set up, it is very expensive to maintain. • Solar power may one day be our main source of energy. • Solar batteries do not produce pollution like most other forms of energy.
17. What is the structure of the sentence below? The wind and the thunder kept us awake all night. • Simple • Compound • Complex • Compound/complex
In the sentence below, which word is the verb? On the moonlight patio, the table and chairs glow with a blue light. • On • Moonlit • Glow • light
19. Which word in the sentence below has a spelling error? The principle at our school attended the practice session for the new orchestra. • Principle • Attended • Session • orchestra
20. Leonard is doing research to find out what the planet Saturn’s rings are made of. Which key word should he use in his search for information? • Rings • Planet • Universe • Saturn