1. Who were the two strong influences on Mendel’s education? • Doppler (physicist) • Unger (botanist) • What about Mendel’s monastery made it an ideal place to investigate genetics?
3. In your own words, what is Mendel’s Law of Segregation?
4. Give an example of a monohybrid cross & dihybrid cross • Determine seed phenotypes & their probabilities: • hybrid yellow X green • dihybrid yellow/round X green/wrinkled • Hetero yellow/wrinkled X green/hetero round • What is a “test cross”?
1. What is the Law of Independent Assortment and how does this “law” relate to meiosis? • Write your own example for the law of independent assortment.
7. Define and then explain in your own words both the Rules of Multiplication and the Rules of Addition.
Practice • PpYyRr X PpYyRr • Determine probabilities for the following: • ppyyRr • ppYyrr • Ppyyrr • PPyyrr • Ppyyrr
8. Contrast codominance and incomplete dominance • Why doesn’t incomplete dominance support the blending hypothesis? • How can Tay-Sachs disease be considered incomplete dominance? codominant? • 9. Does having a dominant allele mean that it will be found in greater frequency in the population?
14. What would be your “clue”that a character would have polygenic inheritance pattern?