1 / 15

Orientation & Registration 12 th Grade

Orientation & Registration 12 th Grade.

Télécharger la présentation

Orientation & Registration 12 th Grade

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. Content is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only. Download presentation by click this link. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server. During download, if you can't get a presentation, the file might be deleted by the publisher.


Presentation Transcript

  1. Orientation & Registration 12th Grade The Merced Union High School District Board of Trustees prohibits unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation or bullying against any protected group as identified under Education Code 200 and 220 and Government Code 11135, including actual or perceived sex, sexual orientation, gender, ethnic group identification, race or ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, nationality, religion, color, mental or physical disability, age, marital or parental status, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information, or on the basis of a person's association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics in any district program or activity that receives or benefits from state financial assistance. (5 CCR 4610)

  2. Graduation & College Entrance Requirements Graduation Requirements English-40 credits Social Science-40credits Mathematics-20 credits Science-30 credits Fine Arts/Foreign Language-10 credits Physical Education-20 credits Electives-60 credits Total credits for graduation-220 Pass the California High School Exit Exam Pass NETS 5 & 6 A-G Requirements • A. History/Social Science-2 Years • B. English-4 years • C. Mathematics-3 years • D. Laboratory Science-2 years • E. Foreign Language-2 years • F. Visual and Performing Arts-1 year • G. College Prep Electives- 1 year *Must complete all A-G classes with a “C” or better.

  3. Why should I take A-G classes? • These requirements plus taking the SAT or ACT will make you eligible to start at a 4 year university straight out of high school. • If you plan to attend a 2 year college you will be better prepared for the course work, the placement exams, and you will qualify for more scholarships!!

  4. Why should I go to College? • A college education can provide you with many opportunities for a better life. • In your working life, more and more jobs will require education beyond high school.

  5. SAT & ACT EXAMS • If you plan on attending a UC/CSU, you must take the SATorACT • ACT- A three and a half-hour college admissions examination that consists of tests in English, mathematics, reading, and science reasoning. • SAT- A three and a half-hour college admission test of critical reading, mathematical reasoning abilities, and writing skills. • Registration is online. Links can be found on the BCHS website or below: • ACT – www.actstudent.org • SAT – www.collegeboard.org

  6. In the Spring of your junior year (now!). The SAT is offered in March, May and June. ACT should be taken in April or June. Students should make plans to retake the SAT in October, November, or December of the senior year if you would like to improve your score. Students enrolling at a community college do not have to take the SAT or the ACT exams. When should I take these tests?

  7. Best to take both tests, use the score for the one you did best in.  Fee Waiver available. Take SAT if stronger in math (50% of score is your math).  Colleges use the Math and Reading portion of SAT, not so much the writing Score.  Take ACT if stronger in English (75% is really looking at verbal skills since even the science portion is about how well you read and respond to questions, 25% is math) Take the one (SAT or ACT) you scores best in twice,  but no more than three times.  Best to take the January or May test for SAT and request the Question and Answer ($18 extra fee, or free w/ waiver).  This will give you feedback on what you got wrong and why.  Will help if need to retake the test. Better to guess than to omit or, not respond.  For SAT you lose ¼ pt for wrong answer, so guess only if you can narrow it down to best guess.  Gain 1 pt for the right answer.  On ACT, no penalty for guessing, best to answer all questions. Practice tests are available on the website.  Will score higher the more you prepare.  Use the ‘Study Resource’ section. Other SAT and ACT info

  8. White Robe-must be a Life member of CSF (California Scholarship Federation) 4 of 6 semesters. May also earn wearing a gold stole for 100% membership (6 of 6 semesters).Must qualify for one term during senior year. See Mr. Ruiz in F27 for more information. Gold Cord-must maintain a 3.5 GPA throughout high school. Red Cord-need to complete 250 hours of community service. See Mrs. Tanzillo for ideas for sites or projects. Special Recognition at Graduation

  9. College classes- enroll at MCC (see Counselor for K-12 form). Must maintain a 2.0 GPA at BCHS. Bring in college class schedule prior to adding the “MCC” class to your BCHS schedule. Class/Office Assistant, PALS or AVID tutors - complete the class assistant form and turn in w/ your registration. Must have passed both sections of the CAHSEE. 20 credits max. 10 credits per year. ROP (Regional Occupational Program).- On campus and off campus classes. Do not need to have job. Some on the job training provided without pay. Many classes take 2 class periods. Class requirement reminders:

  10. Upgrade Lab– During and after school, online classes. All work must be completed on campus. See your counselor to sign up. Summer School – Usually offers most graduation requirement classes. Listen to announcements for more information. On Campus- Add to your schedule for next year if there is room in your schedule and space in the class. Adult School – some classes can be made up through Adult School. See your counselor for more information. Alternative Education – usually only used when you can no longer graduate from BCHS. Ways to Make Up Classes

  11. Reminders: • Your counselor will call you in with a pass that looks like this: • When you receive your pass for registration make sure to bring your registration form and 6 year plan with you. • Please complete the registration form and update your 6 year plan yourself. Don’t worry if you aren’t sure about something, we will review it with you.

  12. Questions?

More Related