Revision 1. How I wish I ____ a bird! A. a B. was C. were D. will be Multiple choices. C
2. If I ____ his party yesterday, I would have seen that famous star. A. have attended B. had attended C. attended D. attend B 3. It is suggested that the person ____ to hospital at once. A. be sent B. will be sent C. would be sent D. should send A
4. ____ you ____ more careful, you wouldn’t have made the silly mistake. A. Have…been B. Are…/ C. Were…/ D. Had…been D 5. He speaks English so well as if he ____ an Englishman. A. is B. was C. are D. were D
Pre-reading What you should do if you are in such situations. Animal bites
1. Animal Bites: Wash the wound under cold water. Then see a doctor as soon as possible. 2. Burns: Cool the area of skin at once. Wash the area of skin under the cold tap for several minutes. Cover the wound with a loose
bandage or a piece of dry clean cloth. See a doctor if a child has been burnt or if more than ten percent of the body has been burnt. 3. Cuts: For a simple cut, it is only necessary to wash the area of the cut, dry it and cover it with a piece of
dry clean cloth. If a person is bleeding badly, you must try to stop the bleeding. 4. Poisoning: Talk to the person to find out if he or she is conscious and breathing. Next, call for an ambulance. Send whatever you find
to the hospital to help the doctor know what kind of poison the person has swallowed.
1. eventually: in the end; at last e. g. He felt ill and eventually died. Eventually he was tired of trying so hard. 2. spit vt./vi. (spat/spit; spitting) e. g. The injured man is spitting blood. People who spitcan spread disease.
3. call for e. g. Let’s go to the meeting together, and I’ll call for you. If you find a person injured in an accident, please call for an ambulance.
4. make sure + that clause e. g. Before you leave the lab, make sure that the lights are turned off. Please make sure that electric wires are safe.
5. find sb. /sth. + prep. phr. /doing/adj. e. g. She found her uncle on the point of leaving the market. He found a lot of people doing morning exercises there. Do you find the book interesting?
1. What should you do if you find a person who has stopped breathing? I think the best thing is to try to start his/her breathing at once, using the mouth-to-mouth method. We should lay the person on his/her back, close his/her nose with our finger and
breath into his/her mouth, and repeat this as often as necessary. 2. What should you do if you find a person with a knife in his or her leg? We should prevent him from moving and leave the knife there. And then call for an ambulance/the nearest emergency centre/120.
3. You find a girl unconscious on a sofa. You think that she may be poisoned. What do you do first? First, we should find out if she is breathing. If she isn’t breathing, clear the airway and try to get her to breathe. Next, call for an ambulance.
Search the room for any pills or bottles that may contain the poison. Send whatever you find to the hospital to help the doctor find out what kind of poison the person has swallowed.
4. What should you do if someone has been bitten by a dog? We had better wash the wound with the cold running water for a few minutes, then dry it with a clean cloth, and then see a doctor as soon as possible.
5. Your friend burnt herself when she was cooking. What could you do to help? We should cool the area of skin at once. Wash the area of skin under cold tap for several minutes. Cover the wound with a loose bandage or a
piece or a piece of dry clean cloth. See a doctor if she has been burnt or if more than ten percent of the body has been burnt.
Words and phrases on P134 1. accident, incident, event accident指意外或偶然发生的事故,特别是不幸的,有损害性的事故。 e. g. He was killed in a traffic accident. 他在一次交通事故中丧生。
注: accident为可数名词,前面可加不定 冠词an ,表示“一个” “一次”,习惯用 语by accident为“偶然”,相当于by chance。 e. g. I met her in the street by accident, yet she had a bad accident three days ago.
我在大街上偶然见过她,然而三天 前她却遭遇了一场严重事故。 incident泛指不重要的事件,还可指政 治上有影响的重大事件。 e. g. I remember an incident that took place in Mr. Li’s class. 我记得发生在李先生课上的一件 事。
The Lugouqiao Incident broke out on July 7th, 1937. 1937年7月7日爆发了卢沟桥事变。 event 指重要事件, 特别是有历史意义的重大事件。 e. g. How to develop the western part of China well is an important event.
如何开发好中国的西部是一项重要 的活动。 2.manage主要用法如下: a) 经营,管理 e. g. Hemanaged the company while his father was ill. 他父亲生病期间,他管理公司。
Shemanagedthe money very well. 她管财有方。 b) 设法对付,处理 e. g. Do you need any help with those heavy bags? No, thanks. I canmanage. 你需要帮忙搬那些重袋子吗? 不用了, 谢谢, 我能行。
She knows how to manage him when he’s angry. 她知道在他生气时怎样对付他。 c) manage to do sth./ try to do sth. 两短语都表示设法做某事。
manage to do sth. 表示(经过努力) 终于做到了; try to do sth. 表示设法, 尽力做某事, 但不一定成功 e. g. Try to get home early. 尽量早点回家。
He tried to give up smoking, but he failed. 他努力戒烟,可是没戒掉。 We managed to catch the last bus. 我们终于赶上了末班车。 He managedto pass the college entrance examination. 他通过了高考。
Homework 1. Write a short passage. 根据所给中文提示，写出语法正确，意思连贯，符合逻辑的小段文。所给的英文提示词必须都用上。（60－80字）
be travelling , motorbike , library , crowd round , lie , gate keeper , police , medicine , the First Aid Centre（急救中心）。 2. Preview Writing on Page 64.