1. Covering a mile in the fastest time while doing gymnastically correct lunges is yet another event in which Ashrita is outstanding. (Reading Para 7) 【知识串讲】Covering a mile in the fastest time 为-ing形式做主语,while doing gymnastically correct lunges为状语从句的简化形式。 in which Ashrita is outstanding为定语从句,修饰event. 【真题回放】Many people who had seen the film were afraid to go to the forest when they remembered the scenes ______ people were eaten by the tiger. A. in which B. by which C. which D. that Key: A
【迷你考场】 ⑴ The place _______ the bridge is supposed to be built should be ________the cross-river traffic is the heaviest. A. which; where B. in which; which C. in which; where D. which; in which ⑵ The schools themselves admit that not all children will be successful in the jobs ______ they are being trained. A．in that B．for that C．in which D．for which Key: ⑴ C ⑵ D
2. How Ashrita came to be a sportsman is an interesting story. (Reading Para 9) • 【知识串讲】 • 1. How Ashrita came to be a sportsman为主语从句, 句子来充当主语。 • 2．come (get) to 后常接know, understand, love, like, live, be, realize等动词, 表示 “渐渐开始” 之意。 • 【真题回放】After Yang Liwei succeeded in circling the earth, _____ our astronauts desire to do is walk in space. (2004上海)A. where B. what C. that D. howKey: B
3. Sri Chinmoy says that it is just as important for people to develop their bodies... (Reading Para9) • 【知识串讲】it 为形式主语, to develop their bodies为动词不定式做真正主语. • 【真题回放】 It is generally considered unwise _________a child _______he or she wants. (NMET 97) • giving; however B. to give: whatever • C. giving; whichever D. to give; wherever • Key：B • 解析：句意:给与孩子想要得任何东西，通称被认为是不明智的。考测1) it 为形式主语, 动词不定式做真正主语 2）复合代词引导从句作give 的宾语，此处whatever =anything that, 可以理解为 that引导定语从句, 修饰anything.
4. Every time Ashrita tries to break a record, he reaches a point where he feels he cannot physically do any more. At that moment, he goes deep within himself and connects with his soul and his teacher. (Reading Para 11) • 【知识串讲】1.引导时间状语从句除了用when, while, before, after等从属连词外, 一些短语如the moment(minute, instant), every time, the next time, the last time, by the time等, 以及immediately, directly, instantly等词都可以引导时间状语从句, 例如: • Every time I saw him, he always devoted himself to his work.每次我见到他的时候,他都在全身心地工作.
2．where引导定语从句,先行词是point,类似表示地点,处所,情况,状态的名词做先行词时,定语从句多用where 引导,这样的名词有:place, room, point, situation, condition等, 但注意的是，这些地点名词必须在定语从句中状语，才用where 引用定语从句。 • 【迷你考场】练习(选择最恰当的答案): • (1)Have you thought a situation________ this idiom can be used? • A. when B. where C. for which D. why • (2)I thought her nice and honest ____ I met her. • A. first time B. for the first time C. the first time D. by the first time • Key:(1)B (2)C
8. rather (1).rather可以修饰形容词、副词的原级、比较级等。 (2).rather放在不定冠词a（n）前后均可，如:have got a rather（=rather a）good voice. (3).用作感叹词，意为"当然" --Would you like a swim？--Rather. (4). rather than意为"而不是;与其……不如", 后接名词、代词、动词原形等, 常见句型:would rather do...than do...=would do...rather than do...宁愿做…而不愿做……；prefer to do...rather than do...=prefer doing to doing …宁愿做……而不愿做…。
(5). would rather意为“宁愿”, 后可接动词原形,其肯定形式是 would rather do, 其否定形式是would rather not do; 后面还可跟that...从句,从句应用虚拟语气形式,若从句表示与现在或将来的情况相反, 用一般过去时；与过去的事实相反，用过去完成时。 即学即用： (1). ---Shall we go skating or stay at home？.---Which ______do yourself？（MET'92）A. do you rather B. would you rather C. will you rather D. should you rather √
√ (2). Rather than _______on a crowded bus，he always prefers ______a bicycle.（NMET'94）A. ride；ride B. riding；ride C. ride；to ride D. to ride；riding (3). Nuclear science should be developed to benefit the future generations _______harm them. A. other than B. more than C. better than D. rather than (4). I would rather that he _______home last night. If so, he could not die in the accident. A. had not gone B. did not go C. do not go D. has not gone √ √
9.regret做名词表示遗憾，懊悔（作不可数名词）；感到遗憾的事，歉意（作可数名词）。如：(1).We heard with regret that you were not successful in your plan. 我们很遗憾地听到你的计划没有成功。 (2).My only regret is that I could not devote more time to the just career. 我唯一的憾事是不能花更多的时间于这一正义事业上。
regret做动词时的用法是：后接名词、代词、动词-ing形式, 动词不定式形式以及that从句。 表示"后悔"之意，所后悔、遗憾的事情已经发生过了， 通常用regret doing sth./regret having done sth. 如：You'll regret having said those words! 你会后悔自己说了这样一些话的。 但若表示因未作某事而感到遗憾， 事情还没有发生时，通常用regret to do sth. 比如:I regret to tell you that your father is badly ill. 我遗憾地告诉你，你父亲病重。
即学即用： After he left, I immediately regretted ____for his new address, So now I will ____that I can not tell you his address. A. not asking, regret to say B. not to ask, regret to say C. not asking, regret saying D. not asking, regret saying √
√ 1.The restaurant is on_____ fire and the people burnt in the fire were taken to____ hospital. A. the; / B. /; / C. the; the D./; the 2. Mr. Smith, ______ his wife and daughter, _____ going to the Great Wall. • as well as; is B. as well; are C. as well as; are D. as well; is 3. To enjoy the scenery, Sara would spend long hours on the train ______ travel by air. • as to B. other than C. instead of D. rather than √ √
4. Native Americans from the southeastern part of ______ is now the United States believed that the universe in which they lived was made up of three worlds. A . that B. which C. where D. what 5. The audience ______ when they heard the humorous story. A. burst into laughing B. burst out laughter C. burst into laughter D. burst in laughing 6. —I’m going to join them in the game. —____ ! A. Have fun B. I’m sure of it C. What a pity D. Maybe you like it √ √ √
√ 7. —Hey, where are you going? — Oh, I’m terribly sorry. ____. • I’m not noticing B. I wasn’t noticing C. I haven’t noticed D. I don’t notice 8. The professor____ at the meeting will give us a lecture next week. • referred B. referred to C. referring D. referring to 9. It was how the young man had learned five foreign languages____ attracted the audience’s interest. • so that B. that C. what D. in which √ √
√ 10. —How about the agreement? —Oh, it____ a wave of anger. • set about B. set off C. set out D. resulted from 11. When ______ about the secret of his success, Steven Spielberg said that he owes much of his success and happiness ________ his wife and children. • asking; to B. asked; in C. asked; to D. asked; about 12.students are required to take part in the football game. • Twelve strong young Chinese B. Twelve Chinese strong young C. Chinese twelve young strong D. Young strong twelve Chinese √ √
√ 13. I can’t thank you ______ much for your help. Without it I couldn’t have succeeded in my experiment. A. very B. too C. quite D. that 14. ----The chicken is delicious. ---Well, at least it is ______ the one I cooked last time. • as bad as B. no worse than C. no better than D. not better than 15. Since you have made such good preparations, there_______ be any problem about passing the coming exam. A. mustn't B. shan't C. shouldn't D. needn't √ √
1 Quickly glance through the text. Tick the topics about Ashrita that the author does not cover.(p.3) physical skills needed for events kinds of records broken place and date of birth his first Guinness record number of records broken √
why he became a sportsman his occupation his family life countries he likes best his education √ √ √ √
2 Now read the story more carefully and answer the following questions in groups. 1. Where do you think Ashrita lives? The text doesn't say where he lives now but it is possible he lives in New York because we know that he lived there when he was a teenager and that he took part in a bicycle marathon there in 1978.
2. How old do you think he is? He was 16 in the early 1970s so he would be in his late 40s now. 3. Has he broken records in all seven continents? Yes. (see paragraph 2) 4. When did he first come across the Guinness Book of World Records? When he was a child.
5. What are some of the physical difficulties he has experienced when A walking with a bottle of milk on his head? He has to make fine neck adjustments, and has to rest and eat with the bottle of milk on his head. B standing on top of a Swiss ball? He needs a great sense of balance, and has to stay on top even though his legs may start shaking.
C somersaulting? He has to overcome dizziness, extreme tiredness and pain. During the process, he is permitted to rest for only five minutes in every hour and stop briefly to vomit. D doing gymnastically correct lunges? Lunges are very hard on his legs.
6. Which one of Sri Chinmoy's beliefs led Ashrita to attempting records? There is no limit to people's physical abilities. 7. Why was it amazing that Ashrita came third in the bicycle marathon in 1978? He had done no training.
8. Why did Ashrita believe he could accomplish anything after the bicycle marathon? He believed that because he had done no training, it must have been his spirit that made him come third, and so after the bicycle marathon he believed that he could accomplish anything by using his spirit, and his body was just an instrument of the spirit. He believed there is no physical limitation.
9. What happens in an event that prevents Ashrita from giving up? When he feels like giving up, he goes deep within himself and connects with his soul and his teacher to keep on. 10. Do you think that the events that Ashrita participates in are childish? Why or why not? Students' answers may vary.
Get into groups of four and choose two sports. Find out what skills are needed for each activity. Share your ideas with the other groups in your class. Finally decide which activity you would prefer to train for and give a reason.(p.4) 4
jumping high • 2 putting your legs and arms out as you jump • 3 keeping balance of the limbs
1 moving your waist in a circle 2 keeping the rhythm as you move the hula hoop 3 keeping the hula hoop moving 1 forward your head over your heels with both hands landing on both feet 2 practising cartwheel movement
1 bending knees 2 going down on one knee 3 moving forward with one knee touching the ground every time 1 practising balance on sth that doesn't move 2 practising balance on sth that does move
Discovering useful words and expressions 1 Complete the table and then choose a word to complete each sentence below.(p.4) approximate approximation adjust adjustable accomplishment accomplished devoted / devoting devote motivate motivated / motivating
devoted approximate 1. He is _______ to his wife and gives her anything she asks for. 2. Can you tell me the __________ number of athletes in your club? 3. It was a huge _______________ for her to be able to reach the top of the mountain. 4. Some people have the ability to ______ others to try to achieve their goals. 5. She has _________ to the fact that she will never win the 400 metre swimming event. accomplishment motive adjusted
2 Find new words in the reading passage that are similar in meaning to the underlined words below. Write down the pairs of words. (p.5) 1. usual _________ 2. severe ______ 3. sacred _________ 4. spirit _______ 5. hard _______ 6. begged _______ 7. truth _______ conventional tough spiritual soul tough urged reality
3 In groups of four, add as many words as you can to each box. Compare your lists with another group. Then share your lists with the class. Suggested answers : Events: gymnastics, marathon, triathlon, diving, cycling, swimming (freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly), hockey, judo, archery, tennis, shooting, football, volleyball, basketball, rowing, canoeing, wrestling, boxing, sailing, athletics, ...
The training is ... tough, tiring, stressful, hard, painful, time/energy consuming, frightening, dangerous, skilful, systematic, organized, developmental, worthwhile, strict, ... The event is ... fascinating, exciting, interesting, challenging, inspiring, thrilling, rewarding, worthwhile, demanding, frustrating, ...
Revising useful structures 1 Underline the subject in these sentences. In groups, check your answers. Then discuss whether you agree with the ideas in the sentences or not.(p.5) 1 Everything that we do is a step in one direction or another. Even the failure to do something is in itself a deed. It sets us forward or backward. (Henry Van Dyke)
2 Some conceptions of a gentleman are these: a gentleman is always considerate for the feelings of others; he has tact, — he knows how to say and to do the fight thing at the right time. 3 To regret one's errors to the point of not repeating them is true repentance. (Ernest Hemingway)
4 The best companion is one who is wiser and better than ourselves, for we are inspired by his wisdom and virtue to nobler deeds. (William Makepeace Thayer) 5 Being happy is better than being king. (West African saying) Match the subject on the left with an ending on the right to make the correct saying. Then translate it into Chinese.(p.6) 2
1 Worrying 2 Two heads 3 Those who do not learn from history 4 To travel hopefully 5 Failing to plan 6 A man who asks A man who never asks 7 The one who understands The one who speaks 8 What is done are doomed to repeat it. is a fool for five minutes. does not speak. cannot be undone. are better than one. never did anyone any good. does not understand. is planning to fail. is a better thing than to arrive. is a fool for life.
1 Worrying never did anyone any good．担忧从来不会给人带来任何好处。 2 Two heads are better than one．两人智慧胜一人。 3 Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. 那些不从历史汲取教训的人注定要重蹈覆辙。 4 To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive．带着希望旅行(的过程)远胜于到达目的地(那一刻)。
5 Failing to plan is planning to fail．没有计划就是计划失败。 6 A man who asks is a fool for five minutes．A man who never asks is a fool for life．会问问题的人当五分钟的傻子：从不提问的人则当一辈子傻子。 7 The one who understands does not speak. The one who speaks does not understand．智者知而不言，愚者言其不知。 8 What is done cannot be undone．覆水难收。
Listening and speaking Listen to the radio interview with two Maryville High School students, Luke and Josh, about their school's bid to break a Guinness record. Number these Guinness records in the order you hear them mentioned. (p.6) 1
3 1 Most people hula hooping at the same time. 2 Most bodies painted at the same time. 3 Most people juggling at the same time. 4 Most people brushing their teeth for one minute. 5 Most people in a group hug. 6 Most people eating breakfast. 6 2 5 1 4
3 Read these expressions from the interview. Circle the ones in which the people express surprise. Now listen and number the circled expressions in the order you hear them. Then, in pairs, practise saying the expressions of surprise, paying special attention to the intonation. How amazing! You're kidding! Is that all? 1 2 3
Reading and writing 1 Read the profiles from a sports magazine and complete the summary of each sportsperson's (Guinness) record (s).(p.9) WHO: WHEN: WHERE: WHAT: Lance Armstrong 1999, 2003 France fastest average speed, Tour de France (five times)
Michellie Jones 1992, 1993 (not stated) International Triathlon Union World Champion WHO: WHEN: WHERE: WHAT:
WHO: WHEN: WHERE: WHAT: Fu Mingxia 1991, 1992, 1996, 2000 Australia, Barcelona (Spain), Atlanta (America), Sydney (Australia) youngest female to win the women's world title for platform diving; youngest Olympic diving champion of all time; first woman in Olympic diving history to win four gold medals