the burden of obesity in north carolina n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
The Burden of Obesity in North Carolina PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
The Burden of Obesity in North Carolina

play fullscreen
1 / 18

The Burden of Obesity in North Carolina

159 Views Download Presentation
Download Presentation

The Burden of Obesity in North Carolina

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. The Burden of Obesity in North Carolina Overview

  2. Executive Summary • 65.7% of N.C. adults are overweight or obese • NC ranks 5th worst in childhood obesity • Four of the 10 leading causes of death in the U.S. are related to obesity • coronary heart disease, type II diabetes, stroke, and several forms of cancer

  3. The Burden of Obesity in North Carolina Defining Obesity

  4. Body Mass Index (BMI) • defined as weight (in kilograms) divided by height (in meters) squared • correlates with amount of body fat • easily obtainable in a clinical setting

  5. Child Weight Definitions • 2007 Expert Committee on the Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity, convened by: • The American Medical Association (AMA) • The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), • Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), and • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

  6. Classification of Child Weight The Expert Committee recommends classifying children and youth ages 2-18 as: • Overweight if BMI is ≥ 85 percentile but <95 percentile for age and sex. • Obeseif BMI is ≥ 95 percentile for age and sex, or exceeds 30 kg/m2.

  7. Weight Categories

  8. N.C. Children and Youth • In 2008, among N.C. children ages 10-17, 17.6% were overweight, and 15.2% were obese (a combined 32.8% were overweight or obese), compared to 61.3% who were at a healthy weight. • One-third of N.C. children typically consumed one serving or less of vegetables per day and 20% of children did not meet the physical activity recommendation of 60 minutes per day. • In 2007, 50% of children watched more than two hours of television on a typical day.

  9. N.C. Children by BMI

  10. Adult Obesity in N.C. • 65.7 % of N.C. adults are overweight or obese, above the national average. • 56% are not meeting the physical activity recommendation • 78% are not meeting the fruits or vegetables recommendation

  11. Adult Obesity in N.C. • Physical inactivity and unhealthy eating combined are the 2nd leading preventable cause of death in N.C., and both increase the risk of: • Heart disease • Certain types of cancer • Diabetes • High blood pressure • Stroke • Obesity

  12. N.C. Adults, BMI Trends

  13. “By 2010, reduce the percentage of adults (20 years old or older) who are obese to 15%.”

  14. North Carolina Costs • In N.C., overweight and obesity accounted for $83 million in medical costs in 2003 for those with Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) coverage. • The N.C. BCBS customers who were obese had costs 32% higher than those with healthy weights.

  15. North Carolina Costs

  16. Understanding Obesity • Excessive weight gain in the American population is largely due to changes in our culture. • Energy-dense, highly-refined food choices, dietary habits, and food insecurity have been identified as potential contributors to the obesity epidemic.

  17. Obesity-Related Chronic Disease • More than half (53%) of all deaths of North Carolinians are preventable. • Overweight and obesity are significantly associated with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, arthritis, and poor health status. • Inadequate fruits and vegetables, lack of leisure time physical activity, obesity, and overweight make up 80% of N.C.’s risk factor or behaviors.

  18. Preventable Causes of Death in N.C. State Center for Health Statistics, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, (2007).