This is the earliest detailed plan of Kimberworth. It was made in 1854. It shows us a great deal about the history of the village. The endowed school mentioned in the other programme is clearly marked. The old field patterns around the village show that this was a farming community, although there are coal mines nearby. At this stage it is still very much a separate village. The drawing on the title page shows Kimberworth in 1864.
This shows Kimberworth in 1901. It shows the new Board School. Although many new houses that had been built since the 1850s it was still a separate village.
Goodinson Han. SchoolmistressLe Tall EmI. bdg. & day school Lodge Geo. Shopkeeper Nicholson Mary, victualler, Green Dragon Walker Joseph. cart owner Wood Wm, beer house Woodcock G. maltster & farmer Colliery OwnersBarber & Sellars, Blackburn bank Chambers Robert Joseph & Son, Holmes Hague Thos. Thorpe Common Parker Fras. Bradgate Walker Joshua and Co. BlacksmithHaIl Saml. Roberts Mttw. ShoemakersHodson Win. Taylor Jph. TailorsHirst George Linton Jph. Farmers Deakin John Barber John Bray John. 6 Brooke Rd. Duke John Fletcher Thos. FroggattJph. Hayton Jph. Kirk Edwin Kirk Sl. sen. Kirk Samuel, and butcher Sellars Wm. Warns John Warns Jph. Wing Wm. Raybould Jas. Rodgers Jph. Woodhead W. Wheelwrights and JoinersLockwood SI. Oxley Wm. Fork MakersBrown Geo. Barker Jph. This is a list of the occupations that are listed in a Rotherham Directory for 1833 in the Kimberworth area. What does it tell us? Can you find any names that you recognise?
The Kimberworth area is very fortunate in having some especially important surviving remains from ancient times. The Roman Ridge. Everyone has heard of Hadrian’s Wall that was built across the north of England to keep invaders from coming south but few people know that a similar line of defence was built by the Ancient Britons across South Yorkshire to protect them from attack by the Romans. Amazingly, sections of this sixteen mile long fortification can still be traced as it snakes across Kimberworth towards the Dearne valley. Much of it follows the line of Meadowhall Road. Back to trail
Kimberworth Castle. At the time of the Norman Conquest Kimberworth was a separate manor. It was given by William the Conquerer to a very powerful knight called Roger de Busli who had many other manors as well. The manor extended from the Don and along the Blackburn rook. Roger built a a motte and bailey castle at the highest point in the middle of the manor. Although most of the castle site has been built over by modern housing the top of the mound can still be explored. It is surrounded by the houses on Wilding way and The Motte. The history of the families of the lords of the manor can be found at the website www.rotherhamweb.com Back to trail
Kimberworth Deer Park In the 1200s the Lords of the Manor of Kimberworth were called the de Viponts. They created a huge deer park to the north of Kimberworth. Much of the area of this park is now covered by the Grange Park golf course. It still has some important areas of ancient woodland. One of the family was the lady Idonea de Vipont. She lived all her life in the manor house in Kimberworth until her death in 1334. You might spot her name around the area. Back to trail
The two buildings are completely different in style. • The older building is quite severe, all in brick with a symmetrical front, very little ornamentation and plain windows. • Only the fancy numbering of the date lettering adds any decorative feature.
The designer of the 1914 building, however, has created a wonderfully decorative building which is full of interest to look at. It is still symmetrical to match the other building but it is covered with swirls, flower designs and contrasting colours. The windows are decorated and are divided into sections by flowing limestone mullions that contrasts with the red of the brickwork. There is a very elaborate decoration over the door and two little towers rise above the level of the roof decorated with flower designs. This sort of design was very popular at this time. It was known as ‘art nouveau’. The architect was James Totty of Rotherham. This building would be great fun to draw. See what you can find out about art nouveau
The next four photographs hang at the back of the church. They were found when an old store room was being cleared. The first two show the laying of the foundation stone of the new church on Thursday April 17th 1913. The third picture shows the official opening being performed by the Mayor of Rotherham, Alderman P.B. Coward, on February 5th 1914. The fourth picture shows the eight men who administered the affairs of the new church. What sort of things do these photographs tell us about the people who lived in Kimberworth in the early 20th century?