Pastor/Teacher Jim Rickard Sunday, August 8, 2010 Grace Fellowship Church www.GraceDoctrine.org
1. Definition: There is no greater love in the entire universe than that AGAPE love that puts others first and ourselves second.
1 John 3:16, “We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.”
It means suffering martyrdom for the sake of fellow believers, Rev 6:9; 20:4. It is also the day to day carrying of your Cross for the benefit of others, Luke 9:23-24; Gal 5:24-25.
Luke 9:23-24, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.”
Gal 5:24-25, “Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.”
2. Believers receive a spiritual gift at the moment of salvation, which should be applied in the service of God every day. 1 Cor 12:4-7, 12-21; 13:1-7
3. There are two aspects in scripture that entail “laying down your life”: a) Your mental attitude, b) Your actions. 1 John 3:18, 23
a. The Appropriate Mental Attitude for “Laying Down Your Life.”Rom 14:7-8; Phil 1:21-25
Rom 14:7-8, “For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.”
1) Mentally put God’s will for your life, before your own will or anyone else’s. Luke 22:42
Luke 22:42, “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.”
2) Mentally put aside worldly titles, credits, power and prosperity that are a hindrance to serving God and His children. Phil 3:7-8, 15-17
3) Overcome the sinful desires of your Old Sin Nature with the Word of God resident in your soul.Gal 5:24
Gal 5:24,“Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
Rom 14:10, “But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.”
Rom 14:13, “Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way.”
5) Have an absence of hatred (for whatever reasons), toward fellow believers.1 John 2:4-11
6) Dwell on righteousness rather than the garbage of the world (Satan’s Cosmic System). Phil 4:8-9 with 1 John 3:7
1 John 3:7, “Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.
7) Strive for peace with your fellow believer and the edification of their souls. Rom 12:18; 14:19
Rom 12:18, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.”
Rom 14:19, “So then let us pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.”
Grace Fellowship ChurchSunday, August 8, 2010Tape # 10-085 Impersonal Love Motivates Divine Good ProductionLaying Down Your Life, Pt 2 Upper Room Discourse, Part 399 John 15:13-14; Phil 1:21-25; 3:7-8, 15-17; 4:8-9James H. Rickard Bible Ministries 2010