Unit1 Festivals around the world
一、单词拼写根据读音、词性和词义写出下列单词。 1. ___________[‵hɑːvist] vt & vi 收割 2. ___________[ stɑːv]vt&vi饿死 3. ___________ [、indi‵pendənt]adj.独立的;自主的 4. ___________[ ægri‵kʌltʃərəl] adj.农业的,农艺的 5. ___________[ əd‵mａiə] vt.赞美;钦佩 6. ___________[ drａun] vt & vi淹没;溺死 7. ___________[ wａip] vt.擦;擦去 8. ___________[ ‵kristʃən] n.基督徒 9. ___________[ bi‵liːf] n.信任;信心 10. ___________[ wiːp] vi.哭泣;流泪 harvest starve independent agricultural admire drown wipe Christian belief weep
11. ___________ [fə‵giv]vt .原谅;饶恕 12. ___________ [ ri‵lidʒəs] adj.宗教上的;虔诚的 13. ___________ [ 、enə‵dʒetik] adj.充满活力的;精力充沛的 14. ___________ [‵ɔbviəs]adj.显而易见的 15. ____________[ 、seli‵breiʃən] n.庆祝;庆贺 16. ____________ [‵ænsistə]n.祖先;祖宗 17. ____________ [‵kʌstəm]n.习惯;风俗 18. ____________[ ni‵sesiti] n.必要性;需要 19. ____________ [pri‵dikʃən]n.预言;预报; 20. ____________ [ə‵nａunsə]n.广播员;报幕员 forgive religious energetic obvious celebration ancestor custom necessity prediction announcer
二、单词运用根据句子的结构和意义，以及首字母的提示，在空格处填入一个恰当的单词。二、单词运用根据句子的结构和意义，以及首字母的提示，在空格处填入一个恰当的单词。 1. What do you hope to g________ from the course? 2. Missing a meal once in a while never did anyone any h________. 3. On a________ at the police station, they were taken to an interview room. (到达) 4. Jack has passed his examination, so we’re going out to c____________. 5. Whole communities s________ to death during the long drought. (饿死) gain harm arrival celebrate starved
6. Her unhappy childhood was the o________ of her problems later in life. 7. The school is widely a__________ for its excellent teaching. 8. A crowd g__________ to see what had happened. 9. In my village, it is the c________ for a girl to take her mother’s name 10. She’s dreaming she’ll meet a tall, dark, h___________ man by chance in the street. origin admired gathered custom handsome
三、词语派生用括号中所给词的适当形式填空。三、词语派生用括号中所给词的适当形式填空。 1. The children were wearing traditional ________ dress. (nation) 2. Mexico gained its ______________ from Spain in l821. (depend) 3. A local poor peasant ________ the soldiers through the forest. (leader) 4. There is no doubt that the basic needs of the people should be ________ first. (satisfy) 5. The country’s economy is mainly ___________ and depends on crops like coffee. (agriculture) national independence led satisfied agricultural
6. Most British schools organize ________ events for the students. (society) 7. I tried aerobics (有氧运动) but it was too ________ for me. (energy) 8. He’s deeply __________ and goes to church twice a week. (religion) 9. I hate the smell of paint when I’m ____________. (decorate) 10. You were __________ enough to believe him. (fool) social energetic religious decorating foolish
四、词组互译将下列词组或短语译成中文或英语。四、词组互译将下列词组或短语译成中文或英语。 1. ________________________ 发生，举行 2. ________________________ 节日和庆祝活动 3. ________________________ 为了纪念 4. ________________________ 以……形式 5. ________________________ 打扮 6. ________________________ 开玩笑，恶作剧 7. ________________________ 用……装饰 …… 8. ________________________ 聚集在一起 9. _______________________ 盼望，期待 10. _______________________ 日日夜夜 take place festivals and celebrations in memory of in the shape of dress up play a trick on decorate … with … get together look forward to day and night
11. _____________________ as though 12. ______________________ have fun with 13. ______________________ be proud of 14. ______________________ turn up 15. ______________________ keep one’s word 16. _______________________ hold one’s breath 17. _______________________ get married to 18. _______________________ set off 19. _______________________ remind … of… 20. _______________________ throw away 好像 玩得开心 为……骄傲 出现，露面 遵守诺言 屏息 与某人结婚 出发，动身 提醒某人某事 扔掉
五、词组运用 据句子提供的语境，从第四大题中选一个适当的词组并用其适用的形式填空。 1. You don’t need to _____________, just to go to the pub — jeans and a T-shirt will do. 2. The police may never discover what ___________ that night, because Mr Smith, the only eyewitness, died last night. 3. Mom, don’t worry about me. I am ______________ other boys. 4. Luckily, help arrived ____________ a police officer. 5. It’s acceptable to ______________ your friends on April 1st. dress up took place having fun with in the shape of play tricks on
6. The government set up a monument _____________ the heroes who died in the war. 7. I’m __________________ hearing from you. 8. He behaved ___________ he hadn’t known anything about it. 9. Those workers worked _______________ to finish the task. 10. _________________ and count 1 to 10. in memory of looking forward to as though day and night hold your breath
Warming up-I(5m) What kinds of festivals in China do you know about? Brainstorming The Double Seventh Festival The Spring Festival The Double Ninth Festival The Lantern Festival festivals Tomb Sweeping Day The Middle Autumn Festival The Dragon Boat Festival
What Chinese public holidays do you know ? National Day Children’s Day International Labour Day New Year’s Day Holidays The Youth Day International Women’s Day
What festivals of foreign countries do you know? Thanksgiving Day Easter Christmas festivals Carnival Father’s Day Mother’s Day Halloween Fool’s Day Valentine’s Day
Spring Festival The most important holiday in China is Spring Festival. To the ordinary Chinese, the festival actually begins on the eve of the lunar New Year's Day and ends on the fifth day of the first month of the lunar calendar. Spring Festival couplets
Retell the text by filling the following blanks: There are all kinds of festivals and __________ around the world, which are held for different reasons. The _______ _________ were mainly held at three times a year--- the end of the cold winter, planting in spring and harvest in autumn.Some festivals are held to _____ the dead or satisfy and ______ the _________ in case they might _____ _______, while other festivals are held to honor famous people or the gods, such as _________ _______ ______ and Columbus Day. celebrations ancient festivals honor please ancestors do harm Dragon Boat Festival
Harvest and Thanksgiving festivals are happy events because the food is _________ for the winter and because a season of ___________work is over,to which Mid autumn festival belongs.And the most energetic and important festivals are the ones that look forward to the end of winter and to the ______ of spring, such as the ______ New Year, at which people have a very good time. gathered agricultural coming lunar
Grammar ( 32ms ) modal verb 情态动词(一）
情态动词有一定的意义，但没有人称和数的变化，不能独立使用，它和后面的动词构成谓语．情态动词有一定的意义，但没有人称和数的变化，不能独立使用，它和后面的动词构成谓语． 只作情态动词的 can/could, may/might, ought to， must 可情态可实义的 need, dare/dared 可情态可助动词的 shall/should, will/would 相当于情态动词的 have to, used to
Must , can/could, may/might 的用法 must 1.Must 表示推测时， 只能用于肯定句。 这个电脑肯定出了问题。 There must be something wrong with the computer. 你努力学了一整天， 一定累了吧 You have worked hard all day. You must be tired.
2.Must +be doing/do表示对现在的动作进行肯定推测 他现在一定在看小说 He must be reading novels now. 他们买了一辆新车。 他们一定很有钱 They have bought a new car. They must have a lot of money.
3.Must +have done表示对过去发生的事情作出的肯定判断 他们在玩篮球， 他们一定完成了作业。 They are playing basketball, they must have finished their homework. 路是湿的。昨天晚上一定下雨了。 The road is wet. It must have rained last night.
can/could 1. can /could 表示推测时，只能用在否定句或疑问句中。 It’s so late. Can Tom be reading? 这么晚了，汤姆还在看书吗？ 这个人不可能是玛丽， 她生病了。 It can’t be Mary. She has fallen ill. 她不可能在说谎。 She couldn’t be telling lies.
2. can/could have done对过去发生行为的可能性进行推测: 刚才我还看见他了， 所以他不可能出国的。 I saw him just now so he couldn’t have gone abroad. 门是锁着的， 所以她不可能在家。 The door was locked. She couldn’t have been at home.
3. can/could have done “本可以，本来可能已经”用于肯定句中，表示对过去发生的事情做出的判断， 你本来可以考的更好。 You could have had a better mark. may/might 1.May/might表示推测时，只能用于陈述句，表示对现在或将来要发生的动作把握不大。 她们明天可能会到这里来。 They may come here tomorrow.
他们可能还在等我们呢。 They may be still waiting for us. 2.might 可用于指过去的行为或者表示可能性更小。 他也许在作功课吧。 He might be doing his homework now. 我问他我是否可以离开。 I asked him if I might leave. I asked him “May I leave now?”
3.might/may have done,表示对过去发生的动作进行可能性推测， 他可能去医务室了。 He may have gone to the clinic. 他可能已经从报纸上知道这个消息了。 He might have read about the news in the newspaper.
will/would Will /Would you do…? 表请求 表意志，愿望，决心 would表过去反复发生得动作或某种倾向 “总是,总要” used to表过去常常（现在已没有这种习惯） “过去常常” used to 可于状态动词连用 would不可以 eg. He used to be a quiet boy. () He would be a quiet boy. () √ ×
高考链接 B 1. ---- Will you go skating with me this winter vacation? ---- It ___ . ( 2002上海) A. all depended B. all depends C. is all depended D. is all depending 解析：答案B。It all depends 是“不确定”、“看情况”的意思。
2. I failed in the final examination last term and only then _____ the importance of studies.( 2004重庆 )A. I realized B. I had realizedC. had I realized D. did I realize D 解析：答案为D. 句首为“only + 副词”时，句子要用部分倒装语序；根据语境应为一般过去时态。
3. ---- I would never come to this restaurant again. The food is terrible! ---- _______ . ( 2004全国 ) A. Nor am I B. Neither would I C. Same with me D. So do I 答案B。第一个句子使用了would, 用neither表示附和的意义时，助动词应与上文一致。 B
Practice 1 When you are very sure of something, you use mustin positive sentences and cannot orcan’t in negative sentences. e.g. You must be Jeanne. I’m Mathilde Loisel. We used to know each other very well. It can’t be true! I don’t believe it. When you are quite sure about something, you use can. e.g. Attending a ballcan be exciting.
When you think that something is possible, but you are not very sure, you use could, may or might. e.g.You could borrow some jewellery from your friend Jeanne, who is married to a rich man. You may not know that the necklace I returned is not the one that I had borrowed. Don’t you have a friend who might lend you some jewellery?
Practice 2:表示推测——情态动词的重要用法. 1. You must be Mr Smith----I was told to expect you here. 2. He must have known what we wanted. 3. We may have read the same report. 4. He can’t have slept through all that noise. 5. There’s someone outside----who can it be? 6. What can they be doing? 7. These pills might help to cure your disease. 8. You could be right, I suppose.
表示推测——情态动词的重要用法. 情态动词 对将来对现在对过去 肯定的推测 可能的推测 否定的推测 疑问的推测 + V.+ V. + have done 常见must be + be doing must + V. + V. + have done + be doing 可以用not表示“可能不” may, might +V. + V. + have done + be doing can’t, couldn’t + V. + V. + have done + be doing can, could
1. I don't know where she is, she _______ be in Wuhan. 2. At this moment, our teacher ________________ our exam papers. 这时，我们老师想必在批改试卷。 3. The road is wet. It ________________ last night. (rain) 4. Your mother ______________________ for you. 你妈妈一定一直在找你。 may must be marking must have rained must have been looking
5. Philip ________________________ seriously in the car accident. 菲利普可能在车祸中受了重伤. 6. ---Linda has gone to work, but her bicycle is still here. ---She _____________________ (go) by bus. 7. Mike ________________ his car, for he came to work by bus this morning. 迈克一定还没有找回他的车，因为早上他是坐 公共汽车来上班的。 may (might) have been hurt may (might) have gone can’t have found
Language Data Bank • Language points for Reading I • Language points for Reading II
Language points for Reading I 1.starve 1) starve: to cause a person or an animal to suffer severely or die from hunger挨饿，饿死 Millions of people starved to death during the war. 2)starvefor sth渴望获得某物，缺乏 The homeless children are starving for love. 3) 感觉很饿（仅用于进行时） When will the dinner be ready? I’ m starving.
starvationn. die of starvation: starve to death starvation wages 不够维持基本生活的工资 2. days/years/…of plenty = time when very many necessities, esp. food and money are available. 富裕的日子/年月/生活 You have a life of plenty. What would you be worried about?
3.honor v. = respect sb. Will you honor me with a visit? 如蒙造访，十分荣幸。 honored guests 贵宾 I feel highlyhonored by the kind things you said about me. honorun. show honor to sb＝ show respect to sb. honorcn. 带来光荣的人/物 Liu Xiang is an honor to our country.
4.satisfy vt.使满意 Nothing satisfies him; he is always complaining. The government tries its best to satisfy people’s needs. satisfactionn.满意、令人满意的人/物 satisfied(人)满意的 satisfying/ satisfactory令人满意的 The teacher was satisfied with his satisfying/ satisfactory answer.
5. harm : • 1) n. damage, injury 损坏，伤害 • do harm to …＝ harm • Smoking does harm to our health. • do more harm than good弊大于利 • If we try to solve the problem in this way, • it will do more harm than good. • vt. cause harm to • The event harmed his reputation. • come to harm • I will go with her to make sure • she comes to no harm. • 我要跟她一同去以免她受到伤害。 受到伤害
= as a way of remembering 6.in memory of The monument was built in memory of the little hero. The museum was built in memory of the famous scientist. in praise of in honor of in celebration of in search of 歌颂 为纪念 为庆祝 为寻找
7.dress up vi . 穿上盛装 There is no need to dress up; come as you are. dress (sb) up in sth/ as sb化装打扮 Children love dressing up. She dressed herself up as a monster. dress vi 穿衣， 打扮 Waiting for a moment; I’m dressing. She dresses well (on very little money.) dressvt. dress sb. in… It takes time to dress the baby. The old lady is neatly dressed in black.
8.play a trick on… 捉弄 The naughty boy loves playing tricks on others. trick玩笑、 恶作剧、 诡计 do/perform a trick 玩把戏