Grade 8 Parent Information Evening Guidance
Compulsory Courses for Grade 9 English Math Science Geography French Religion
TYPES OF COURSES • Locally Developed • Applied • Academic • Open (Electives only)
Locally Developed Locally Developed • Lots of Hands-On Life Skills • Very Small Classes • Developing Reading & Writing Skills • Learning Skills Need Improvement • (Lots of teacher support to help with • Organization, Study Skills etc.) • From High School To Career • Apprenticeship (Job Training) Programs • College Vocational Programs
Applied Applied • More Hands-On Practical Skills • Small Classes • Good Reading & Writing Skills • Satisfactory to Good Learning Skills • (More Teacher-Directed Activities, • some Organization and Study Skills)
Academic Academic • Theory & Abstract Concepts • Larger Classes • Excellent Reading & Writing Skills • Independent Learning style • Good or Excellent Learning Skills • (Independent, Organized, Study Skills etc.)
TYPES OF COURSES Open Courses • Appropriate for all students • Both theoretical & practical experiences - Includes all grade 9 & 10 Electives
Gr. 9 Electives Exploring Interests Grade 9 Options
Grade 9 Elective course selection ELECTIVE COURSES- Scheduled (select 3 in order of preference) * Can only be chosen by specific recommendation from the Special Education Teacher
FAQ’S about Course Selection 1. Can I take a mixture of Locally Developed, Applied and Academic courses? YES ! Students may select courses at a variety of streams. Eg. You may be in Academic English but Applied Math.
2. Can I change my mind, its only December ? YES ! Course selection is a lengthy process. You will receive a “Course Verification sheet” in late March/early April essentially it says – Here’s what you picked, is this correct or do you wish to make changes? If you wish to make changes, return the sheet with your new choices. We still encourage you to get it right the first time !
3. Can I change courses in September? YES for compulsory streams eg. Applied to Academic or Academic to Applied , subject to scheduling & availability NO for elective courses – Final Elective changes must be made using the verification sheet in April subject to availability
4. If I take Applied courses in grade 9 can I switch to Academic courses in grade 10 ? YES. In the case of Math you will have to go to summer school for 2 weeks to do a transfer course, other courses are direct entry to grade 10.
5. If I take Locally Developed courses in grade 9 can I switch to Applied courses in grade 10 ? No. A student would need to take the grade 9 Applied course first prior to taking the grade 10 Applied course
6. What courses do I need to take to prepare for an Apprenticeship pathway? Most apprenticeships require a HS diploma (OSSD). For many apprenticeships, courses may be taken at any stream. Selected apprenticeships do require specific senior (grade 11/12) College (Applied) courses. Consider Co-op and SHSM in grade 11 !
7. What courses do I need to take in order to prepare for a College pathway? Both Applied and Academic courses prepare students for a College pathway.
8. What courses do I need to prepare for a University pathway ? Potential University applicants will need to take Academic English as of grade 10. Other Academic courses, specifically Math and Science, are required for University programs in Business & Science. But, yes you can still follow a University pathway if you are in Applied Math and/or Science !
9. What electives should I take? Take courses you are interested in ! You will need to meet diploma requirements in Phys Ed. and Arts. If you don’t take an Arts or Phys Ed. in grade 9, you will need to do so in grade 10.
ADVICE ! • All pathways/destinations are equal ! • Student success in grade 9 is critical to overall high school success so please choose courses wisely, with particular emphasis on selecting the correct stream (Locally Developed, Applied, Academic) in the compulsory courses. • Please speak to your son’s/daughter’s grade 8 teachers for their input.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS • THANK YOU FOR COMING TO OUR INFORMATION EVENING • WE HOPE TO WELCOME MANY OF YOUR CHILDREN IN THE FALL • THIS PRESENTATION WILL BE POSTED ON THE SMK WEBSITE.