Unit 15 English 11
1st Activity- 1 minute Write the following words in your study guide: 1. adapt 6. object 2. beau 7. perpetual 3. dormant 8. placid 4. intrigue 9. reign 5. nocturnal 10. unstable
Sentence Examples • 1. It is hard for someone who moves from Florida to Alaska to adapt to the cold weather. • 2. Kathy’s friends agree that her new beau is very nice and a good match for her. • 3. During the winter months, some kinds of trees and shrubs become dormant, but they start growing again in the spring. • 4. The mysteries of ancient Egypt intrigue the tourists who visit the Pyramids each year. • 5. Most bats are nocturnal and search for prey only during the night.
Sentence Examples • 6. The coach called a time-out so he could object to the referee’s bad call. • 7. Time is perpetual and will go on forever. • 8. Barbara enjoyed watching tiny rocks ripple the flat, smooth surface of the placid lake. • 9. Queen Elizabeth II’s reign has lasted for more than fifty years. • 10. No one wanted to sit on the unstable chair because it looked like it would break.
2nd Activity- 10 minutes 1. Work with a partner or alone and match the definitions to the words (with the word strips provided) 2. Once they are checked for correctness, you will write the definitions into your study guide. 3. You may use your book to read the word in a sentence.
Unit 15 English 11
1. adapt Eskimos are well-adapted to the climate in Alaska.
1. adapt Eskimos are well-adapted to the climate in Alaska. POS- verb Definition- to adjust to the surroundings; to change for a specific use Synonym- acclimate, accommodate Antonym- stagnate, remain the same
2. beau She was taken to the party by her beau.
2. beau She was taken to the party by her beau. POS- noun Definition- a male suitor; boyfriend Synonym- boyfriend, possible husband
3. dormant The volcano has been dormant for many years.
3. dormant The volcano been dormant for many years. POS- adjective Definition- temporarily inactive Synonym- inert, inactive Antonym- awake, sleepless
4. intrigue Their top secret plan was intriguing.
4. intrigue Their top secret plan was intriguing. 1. POS- verb Definition- to draw interest Synonym- fascinated, interested Antonym- to bore 2. POS- noun Definition- a tricky, secret plan
5. nocturnal Nocturnal animals come out at night and usually sleep during the day.
5. nocturnal Nocturnal animals come out at night and usually sleep during the day. POS- adjective Definition- relating to or happening at night Synonym- night, nighttime Antonym- day, daytime
6. object The colorful object appears to be a box. I object to your business ideas; they are ridiculous!
6. object The colorful object appears to be a box. I object to your business ideas; they are ridiculous! 1. POS- verb Definition- to argue, disagree, or disapprove Synonym- oppose, disapprove of 2. POS- noun Definition- a person or thing
7. perpetual The perpetual calendar on the watch will always last forever.
7. perpetual The perpetual calendar on the watch will always last forever. POS- adjective Definition- lasting forever; continued without end Synonym- ceaseless , continual Antonym- temporary, short-term, momentary
8. placid The placid waters are very soothing to your soul.
8. placid The placid waters are very soothing to your soul. POS- adjective Definition- calm, peaceful, serene Synonym- composed Antonym- excitable, volatile, emotional
9. reign The reign of the law in England is administered by the Queen.
9. reign The reign of the law in England is administered by the Queen. 1. POS- noun Definition- the time period during which a monarch rules; authority 2. POS- verb Definition- to rule as a monarch; dominate Synonym- to rule, time in power Antonym- impotence, powerlessness
10. unstable The movement of the ball can become unstable at any time.
10. unstable The movement of the ball can become unstable at any time. POS- adjective Definition- unsteady; at risk of changing Synonym- unbalanced, uneven Antonym- steady, safe, unchanging
Roots, prefix, suffix • Roots • dorm means “sleep” (dormant) • plac means “calm” (placid) • Prefix • in means “not” (inactive) • Suffix • able means “able to be” (inexcusable) • ory means “place for” (dormitory) • ate means “to make” (placate)
Homework • Exercise 2, 3, 6 • 10 sentences • BONUS: Flashcards • Due Wednesday