STEM Educator Effectiveness Academy Welcome to Day One!
STEM - Day One Outcomes(school teams) • Participants will develop an understanding of the need for STEM education • Participants will review national and state STEM initiatives
Quiz Today! STEM 101
1) Which of the following is the STEM Vision Statement for Maryland? • Maryland’s STEM education prepares and inspires learners of all ages to contribute to the advancement of the global community. • To be a leader in STEM education, preparing and inspiring generations of learners to meet the challenges of the global society through innovation, collaboration, and creative problem solving. • Increase student value and awareness in STEM areas of Science, Technology, Pre-Engineering, and Mathematics while preparing them with 21st Century skills necessary to meet the future demands of a globally competitive workforce. • To increase student achievement by engaging and exposing students to innovative science, math and engineering instructions with technology integrated activities across the curriculum.
2) All of the following are recommendations from the Governor’s STEM Task Force except • Align P-12 STEM curriculum with college requirements and workplace expectations in order to prepare all students for postsecondary success. • Triple the number of teachers in STEM shortage areas who are prepared in Maryland programs, increase their five-year retention rate from an estimated 50% to 75%, and enhance the STEM preparation and aptitudes for elementary and early childhood teachers. • Ensure that all P-20 mathematics and science teachers have the knowledge and skills to help all students successfully complete the college and career-ready curriculum. • To increase student achievement by engaging and exposing students to innovative science, math and engineering instructions with technology integrated activities across the curriculum.
3) Which of the following statements are true? • A company can hire nine factory workers in Mexico for the cost of one in America. • American youth spend more time watching television than in school. • United States consumers spend significantly more on potato chips than the government devotes to energy R&D. • Forty-nine percent of United States adults do not know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun. Rising Above the Gathering Storm – Approaching Category Five Report Data
4)By 2014 how many U.S. jobs are expected to be created in STEM-related fields? • 500,000 • 1,000,000 • 2,000,000 • 6,000,000 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
5) In 2008 approximately what percentage of all U.S. doctorates in engineering, mathematics, computer science, and physics were awarded to foreign students? • 20% • 50% • 75% • 90% Tapping America’s Potential, www.tap2015.org
6) In South Korea, 38% of all undergraduates receive their degrees in natural sciences or engineering. In France, the figure is 47%, in China, 50%, and in Singapore, 67%. In the United States, the corresponding figure is 15% 20% 30% 45% Rising Above the Gathering Storm
“When I compare our high schools to what I see when I’m traveling abroad, I am terrified for our workforce of tomorrow” -Bill Gates
7) In 2002 there were 4 million 9th graders in the United States. By 2011, what percentage of this group will graduate from two or four-year colleges with degrees in the STEM areas? • 4% • 10% • 19% • 25% National Center for Education Statistics; Digest of Education Statistics
Side Note! The most recent ten-year employment projections by the U.S. Labor Department show that of the twenty fastest growing occupations projected for 2014, fifteen of them require significant mathematics or science preparation to successfully compete for the job.
8) STEM is mentioned 1274 times in Maryland’s RTTT application. All of the following are RTTT initiatives except… • Create Maryland’s STEM Innovation Network to make STEM resources available to all. • Review the Common Core State Standards to determine a plan of action for the development of STEM curricula. • Create exemplar cross-discipline project-based lessons to be included in the Online Instructional Toolkit. • To increase student achievement by engaging and exposing students to innovative science, math and engineering instructions with technology integrated activities across the curriculum.
9) Which pair of numbers show the demographics of the current STEM workforce in the U. S. that are male and those who are white? • 62%, 75% • 75%, 82% • 85%, 95% • 72%, 95%
Side Note! According to the American Council on Education, 57% of all college students are women, but women only represent 45% of math majors, 20% of engineering majors, and 20% of computer science majors. 12.5% of engineering bachelor’s degrees go to underrepresented minorities, including African Americans, Hispanics, American Indians.
Side Note! President Obama recently pointed out that American students are 21st in the world rankings for science education and 25th in math and called those numbers “a sign of long-term decline that has to be reversed.”
10) Which of the following is not identified as a priority for STEM education by President Obama? • Increase STEM literacy so that all students can think critically in science, math, engineering and technology. • Improve the quality of math and science teaching so that students are no longer outperformed by those in other countries. • Review the Common Core State Standards to determine a plan of action for the development of STEM curricula. • Expand STEM education and career opportunities to under-represented groups, including women and minorities.
Concept: Words or Phrases Associated with Exemplar STEM Education Instruction or Practices
STEM Educator Effectiveness Academy Thank you! Have a Great Academy!