240 likes | 341 Vues
Arts in Education Workshop August 25, 2011. Council Chairman: Minoo Wille 2011-2012 firstname.lastname@example.org hm : 972-422-5974 cell: 214-868-5907. Arts in Education. Purpose: Promote the arts to help students - develop their artistic skills
E N D
Arts in Education Workshop August 25, 2011 Council Chairman: MinooWille email@example.com hm: 972-422-5974 cell: 214-868-5907
Arts in Education Purpose: Promote the arts to help students - develop their artistic skills - gain exposure to different art media How:1. National PTA Reflections Program 2. Local school programs Arts Nights Visiting Author Library Readers Local Artist visits PSO Petting Zoo Young Rembrandts 3. Community venues School theatre Concerts Art exhibits Book tours Essay Contests Poster Contests PSO Family Series “Be A Texas Star” Summer Program
Reflections Program 2011-2012 Theme: What is it?National PTA program (not a contest) - 6 art categories - 4 judging levels Local Council or Area State National Why? Increase students' exposure to fine arts Encourage students’ artistic expression through experimentation with different art media Helpful in building a portfolio (résumé) For fun and recognition
Who can participate? Any student who attends a school with a PTA/PTSA in good standing. (Good standing means that the PTA/PTSA has paid their membership dues.) A student can enter as many times as they wish, in the same or multiple categories. ESL students can enter, but literature entries must be accompanied by an English translation for judging. Developmentally challenged students may participate. Their entry should be placed in the grade division that best reflects their developmental age.
When are the deadlines for 2011-2012 Reflections? Local launch: September (suggested by Council) Local entry deadline: late October (recommended by State) You set the due date! Local deadline for Tues., Dec. 6th advancing entries Drop off entries at Sockwell Center to Council: Times to be confirmed later Council judging: Wed., Dec. 7th Local pickup of Thurs., Dec. 8th non-advancing entries:
How do I do this?! Step-by-Step Planning Download the forms Set dates and Announce the program at your school Get your judges confirmed Order ribbons and/or certificates Collect the entries Conduct the judging Prepare the paperwork and the entries to advance to Council Notify parents of their student’s advancing entries Return non-advancing entries to students Present awards to participants
1. Download the Forms • Go to www.txpta.org • Scroll to bottom of Home Page and select Reflections under Programs • For student forms and rules in English and Spanish: • Click on each form to view and save: • Student Entry Form • General student rules • Rules for each of the six art categories • For Procedures and Checklists • Select ‘Reflections Chair Forms and Documents’(requires login) • Texas PTA Reflections Procedures • Reflections Requirements Checklist • Judging Tips • Judging Scorecard • Reflections Advancing Entrants Spreadsheet
Download the Forms (con’t.) • For PTA Reflections Program Local Arts Chair Guide(20pages) • Go to www.pta.org • Choose ‘PTA Programs’ on menu bar at top of page • Select ‘Reflections Program’ on left menu bar • Select ‘About Reflections’ on the left menu bar • Click on ‘Rules and Guidelines’ link in the center of page • Select ‘Promotion and Planning’ on left menu bar • (I have a soft copy that I can e-mail to you, upon request) • For 2013-2014 Theme search form • Scroll to bottom of Home Page and select Reflections under Programs. • Select Theme Search Form under ‘Student Forms and Guidelines’ • Save and print
Fill out bottom portion BEFORE making copies
Download the Forms (con’t.) • Determine how to distribute forms: • Student entry form • General student rules • Rules for each specific art category • Theme search form • ** Not all students will need rules for every category. • ** Consider putting the forms on your school website, with hardcopies available in the office. • OR • Direct them to the www.txpta.org website for downloading
2. Set Dates & Announce the Theme and Deadlines Involve: Art, theatre, music teachers – make announcements in class Student organizations (PALS, NJHS) – assist in making and hanging posters Announce in: Weekly take home packet PTA General Meeting Local school eNews Build Local school Newsletter Excitement Morning announcements Outdoor Marquee School Entry & Hallway Posters
2011-2012 Theme: “Diversity Means…” This is a Word document that can be modified as you wish. Available at: http://www.pta.org/2034.htm There is link to PTAreflections.org in the middle of the page.
3. Get your judges 2-3 judges per category Sources for judges: Other Arts in Education chairmen Other school’s art, music, or theater teachers Music teachers Local artists Local writing guilds Local newspaper editors Local photography clubs Caution: Judges should NOT have previous knowledge of or acquaintance with students from your school.
4. Order Ribbons and/or Certificates Ribbons – 2x6 inch www.txpta.org$.60 each Crown Trophy 1301 Custer Rd. at 15th St. , Plano TX (SW corner near Tuesday Morning) 972-633-9040 Blue Ribbon Trophies & Awards 2915 W. 15th St. at Independence (NW corner, across from Jump Mania) 972-964-2222 Spirit Promotions 17000 Dallas Parkway Suite 219 Dallas, TX 75248 Lynette@spiritpromotions.net (972) 733-1377 Fax (972) 381-0117 C-C Trophy and Engraving 621 18th Street Plano, TX 75074 (972) 424-6048 firstname.lastname@example.org
Order Ribbons and/or Certificates (con’t) Certificates www.txpta.org$6.00 (pack of 25) Use specialty border paper Design your own
5. Collect the Entries Check the entry preparation and the paperwork! Make sure that the Student Entry Form is completely filled out. - Required Artist’s Statement - Required student and parent signatures Make sure the entry meets all of the criteria for that category. Make sure the entry is packaged properly, per category rules. Make and keep a copy of all advancing entries and their entry form.
6. Conduct the judging Suggested judging criteria: 50% interpretation of the theme 25% creativity 25% how well executed Remember that Reflections is a Program and not a competition. For this reason we are all strongly urged to use the same Award Levels:
7. Prepare the paperwork & the advancing entries for Council • Prepare Participation Form & Spreadsheet to accompany advancing entries • It must also have one of the following colored dots to signify age/division • PreK - 2nd Grade (Primary): Red Dot • Grade 3-5 (Intermediate): Blue Dot • Grades 6-8 (Middle School): Yellow Dot • Grades 9-12 (High School): Green Dot • Music/Dance Choreography/Film/Video: place dot on the front of the envelope, not the entry form side • Literature entries: place the dot on the front (outside) of the manila folder, not the entry form side • Visual Art entries: place the dot on the back of the entry • Deliver all advancing entries & paperwork to Sockwell Center on December 6th .
Judging Levels Local School Yes No Belong to a Council? Advance 20% Advance 20% Area Council Advance 10% Advance 10% State National
Celebrate! • 8. Notify parents of their student’s advancing entries • By phone, letter • Morning announcements • eNews • Insert in weekly take home packet • 9. Return non-advancing entries to students or keep until local school reception • 10. Present awards to participants • Student assembly • Evening or Morning Reception • PTA General Meeting • Gallery of all entries
Website Summary • www.txpta.org • Student forms and rules, including entry forms • ‘Diversity Means…’ logo • Procedures and checklists (need login) • Ribbons and Certificates • Go to Reflections link at bottom of homepage • Click on ‘Shop Now’ box on the left side • Click on ‘Environmental and Reflections Resources’ under categories on the left side. • http://www.pta.org/2034.htm • Reflections logo (the one in the top corner of this page) • Link to PTAreflections.org for flyers and posters • http://beatexasstar.com/PTAReflections.html • Designs and posters
have a fantastic time with your Reflections Program!