gda n ska shoemaker s tower n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Gda n ska (Shoemaker’s) Tower PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Gda n ska (Shoemaker’s) Tower

Gda n ska (Shoemaker’s) Tower

106 Vues Download Presentation
Télécharger la présentation

Gda n ska (Shoemaker’s) Tower

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Gdanska (Shoemaker’s) Tower • It was built around 1325 and is the best preserved object of Gothic defensive architecture. It is situated on the Wierzyca canal. The tower was to defend the residents and protect the entrance to the town through the Gdanska Gate. Gradually, it became both an observational and defensive object. Later it was transformed into a prison.

  2. Mill (Tczewska) Tower • It is a reconstruction of a former fortification. The tower was erected on stone foundations in the first quarter of the 14th century. In 1986, thanks to a private owner, the tower was restored. Nowadays, the tower with a corner section of defensive walls constitute a charming fragment of Starogard’s medieval panorama.

  3. Bernard Sychta Municipal Library • This neo-Gothic building was constructed at the end of the 19th century. Before the I World War, it became the officers’ casino of the field artillery regiment. Between 1926 and 1939, there was the officers’ casino of the 2nd Regiment of Rokitna Chevau-légers.

  4. Cinema • A ninetieth-century building of the Prussian sports. In 1998, the Kociewskie Archiveswas established upstairs. It collects and compiles documents and mementoes concerning the history of the region.

  5. Psychiatric Hospital in Kocborowo • A building complex erected between 1894 and 1898 on the area of nearly 300 ha. Hospital buildings are surrounded by a beautiful centenary park with interesting rare plants, among which there are unique varieties of beeches, silver firs, silver maples and thujas.

  6. St. Catherine’s Church • St. Catherine’s Church is situated in the north-eastern corner of the town’s Market Square. This temple was erected in 1802 on the foundations of a medieval church that had been used by the Lutherans since 1577. The tower of the church, which was rebuilt in 1873, is the highest object in the old part of the town and a good landmark for those who want to go for a waIking tour around Starogard.

  7. St. Matthew’sChurch • The oldest preserved church in the town. Its construction dates back to the 14th century. In the church there is a large fresco „The Last Judgement” from about the 15th century, which was discovered only in 1957.

  8. St. Adalbert’s Church • It was built between 1934 and 1939 following the project of Kazimierz Ulatowski. The initiative of building this temple was put forward by Rev. Henryk Szuman, charity activist.

  9. The Mill and Wiechert’s Palace • Milling traditions in Starogard date back to 1283. when there was a water mill existing here. In 1871, itwas bought by Franciszek Wiechert, who transformed it into a great family enterprise. Thedecorated palace was rebuilt in 1893 to property representingthe Wiechert family.

  10. Old Town Hall • It was built at the beginning of the 19th century on Gothic foundations, was finally rebuilt in 1893. Nowadays, there is Registry Office.

  11. Market Square and Tenementhouses • The square is the oldest part of the town. In the middle of the square there is the Town Hall. In 1792 the wooden buildings were completely burnt. The square shaped 107x107m market is bigger than the Old Square Market in Warsaw (capital of Poland). It is the starting point for the net of streets regularly spreading out from here.

  12. Town Hall • A neo-Gothic red and glazed brick building that was foundedin 1990. Since June 1975, it has served as a residence of the Town Hall.