Lesson 2 Beijing Opera
Peking Opera Peking opera , the best-known Chinese Opera, was developed during the Qing dynasty (1644-1911) . It is a dramatic form that includes dance, theater, music, and
skilled performance. Character types depend on vocal styles. Performers wear dramatic makeup or masks.
Who is she? Mei Lanfang
What do you know about Beijing Opera? Work in pairs and choose the right answers. 1. When did Beijing Opera start? a) the late 18th century b) the late 19th century c) the late 20th century a) the late 18th century
2. How many main roles are there in Beijing Opera? a) 4 b) 8 c) 12 a) 4 3. What are eh main instruments played in Beijing Opera? a) violin b) jinghu c) drum d) piano e) sanxian f) guitar b) jinghu
4. Match the main roles with their names. sheng male roles with brightly painted face dan female roles jing clown roles chou male roles
Late 18th century Late 18th century Acting,talking Acting,talking Four roles Four roles main roles skills needed history Singing,dancing Beijing Opera acrobatics costumes singing styles singing styles Bright colours Bright colours sharp
Symbols in Beijing Opera Match the meanings with the pictures on P24: Pic.1 They are in the city. Pic.2 She is in a carriage. Pic.3 They are in their new bedroom. Pic.4 She is on a horse.
Match the following words with their meanings. Then use the words complete the sentences below. combine, treasure, mask, acrobatics, costume
the clothes worn in a play or film • mix two or more things • something with special • value • d) movements of one’s body in a skilful way • e) something that covers one’s face costume combine treasure acrobatics mask
This golden ring is a real ________. • My mother sewed my _______ for the school play. • I love watching __________ but it looks very difficult! treasure costume acrobatics
4. The first step in making a cake is to _______ the milk and butter. 5. The singer wore a _______ that was made of wood. combine mask
Listen to the first and second part of a TV programme. Use the Strategies to answer the questions. 1. What skills do Beijing Opera actors need to have ? Acting, talking, singing, music dancing and acrobatics.
2. Where was Beijing Opera performed at the beginning ? On open-air stages, in markets, streets, teahouses or temple courtyards. 3.Why does it have very loud music and a piercing singing style ?
Because at the beginning, Beijing Opera was performed mostly on open-air stages. 4. Why do performers wear brightly coloured costumes? With bright colour, their costumes are more impressive and the crowd can see them more clearly.
Read and listen to the last part of the programme. Then answer the questions. 1. What does the stage look like in Beijing Opera? Very simple.
2. How do symbols play an important role in Beijing Opera? Because symbolism plays a very important role in Beijing Opera.
Various body movements can represent actions. riding in a carriage riding a horse an army of thousands walking with a flag on each side four generals and four soldiers holding a tassel
Listen to two dialogues. What do the students Li Ming and Zhu Meiling get permission for? What do they not get permission for? Li Ming –permission to go to Pufang’s birthday party/ not permission to go to the cinema.
Zhu Meiling –permission to hand in her project next week /not permission to write up the project in Chinese.
Listen again and fill in the blanks. would, can’t, let, could, OK, know, excuse me, must, everyone’s going, can
Informal You (1)______ my classmate Yang Pufang. Well, Pufang’s going to have a birthday party this Saturday afternoon. Is it(2) _____ if I go? The party’s a special occasion and (3)__________. know OK everyone’s
Oh, all right…I’ll (4) ____ you go, but I need you to be back by 8 o’clock the latest. Thanks, Mum. And I was thinking…(5)_____I go to the cinema with Pufang on Sunday? let can
What about your grandpa and grandma? Who ‘s going to help me look after them if you go ? Oh, Mum. Please let me go to the cinema. You can go to Pufang’s birthday Party but you (6)____ go to the cinema. can’t
Formal (7) __________, Miss Wang?(8) _______it be all right if I handed in my project next week? OK, you (9) _____give me your project first thing on Monday morning. Excuse me Would can
(10) ______I write up the project in Chinese? No, I’m afraid you can’t . You (11) ______use English like all the other students. Could must