Buy One Get One Free ‘Special Offer’ Deal Or 33% Extra Free! Steal? www.consumercouncil.org.uk
Instructions Think you're a savvy shopper? Do you spot a good deal, or does the shop make a steal? • The aim of this game is to work out which of the offers is the better deal. • The stealer may try to trip you up so pay close attention to the prices on offer. • Can you beat the stealer to become a shopping sensation?
1. Deal or Steal? 4 x pack of Wine Gums £3.00? 1 x pack of Wine Gums 63p? ? ? If you buy the multipack, each pack of sweets cost 75p, that’s 12p more than a single pack!
2. Deal or Steal? ‘Special Offer’ 3 x tin multipack tuna costing £5.68? A single tin of tuna costing £1.57? ? ? The special offer actually costs 97p more than buying 3 individual tins!
3. Deal or Steal? 3 bottles of fizzy cola drink for £3.00? 1 single bottle of fizzy cola drink at £1.35? ? ? Deal If you buy 3 bottles of fizzy cola drink you will save £1.05 than if you bought them separately.
4.Deal or Steal? 9 rolls of toilet roll + get 1/3 free £7.49 9 rolls of toilet roll £6.50 ? ? Although each individual roll in the 12 pack costs less than the rolls in the 9 pack it is still not the better deal. If the 3 extra rolls really were free then both packs would cost exactly the same - £6.50.
5. Deal or Steal? ‘Value Pack’ 4kg Washing Powder £12.99 (50 washes) 2kg Washing Powder £6.79 (25 washes) ? ? Deal If you buy the 4kg Washing Powder you will save 59p
6. Deal or Steal? 400g block of cheese £2.89 700g ‘Great Value’ twin pack of cheese £5.98 ? ? If you buy 2 packs of the 400g block of cheese you will save 20p and get an extra 100g.
7. Deal or Steal? 1x tin sweetcorn £0.40 ‘Bigger Value Pack’ sweetcorn x 3 tins £1.20 ? ? If you buy 3 individual tins of sweetcorn you will pay the same amount as the ‘value pack’!
8.Deal or Steal? ‘Extra Value’ Instant Coffee 200g £5.69 Instant Coffee 100g £2.49 ? ? If you buy 2 x 100g jars of instant coffee you will save 71p
? Did you beat the Stealer?
Watchdog video clip • This video clip is from the programme BBC watchdog and shows how supermarkets can mislead customers into spending more of their money. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/10/supermarkets_are.html
Not so special ‘special offers’ rogues’ galleryhttp://conversation.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/the-supermarket-special-offers-that-arent-so-special/