800 likes | 1.4k Vues
Achievers Conversation March 2007. Let’s see what we know about race and ethnicity. 1 . In the 2000 U.S. Census, the largest self identified ethnic group was: a) English American b) German American c) African American d) Mexican American e) Irish American f) Italian American.
E N D
Achievers ConversationMarch 2007 Let’s see what we know about race and ethnicity.
1. In the 2000 U.S. Census, the largest self identified ethnic group was:a) English Americanb) German Americanc) African Americand) Mexican Americane) Irish Americanf) Italian American
.2. How many racial groups are there in the world today?a) 3b) 5c) 24d) 130e) We cannot ever know.
Which one is Black?Which one is Latina?Which one is Asian?Which one is White?
SOME PHYSICAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN GROUPS • Skin color • Shape of nose • Height and weight • Shape of eyes • Blood type • Texture of hair • Shape of roof of mouth • Ability to eat and digest certain foods
.3. What percentage of the U.S. population is multiracial?a) 2.4%b) 7.7%c) 13.3%d) 20.9%
The two parents (shown here) are mixed race. Their mothers are white and their fathers are black.
4. Of the population of “Arabs” living in the U.S. who identify as “religious,” about what percentage are Muslims?a) 23%b) 56%c) 81%d) 94%
Israeli and British Forensic Anthropologists - 2004 • Used skull evidence from the 1st century as well as skin, hair and eye information • Their depiction is not accurate, but certainly more accurate than most representations by artists. • They estimate that he would he would have been about 5-foot-1-inch, 110 lbs.
6. How many Native American tribes (nations) currently exist in the United States?a) 17b) 104c) 282d) 575
7. In what year were Native Americans given the right to obtain U.S. citizenship?a) 1808b) 1896c) 1924d) 1948e) 1957
8. Which of the following groups has the highest poverty rate in the United States?a) African Americansb) Latino Americansc) Asian Americansd) Native Americanse) White Americans
Individuals Living in Poverty - 2006 • Whites – 8.0% • Blacks – 23.9% • Latino/as – 21.8% • Asians – 10.0% • Native Americans – 25.7% • U.S. Population – 12.1% Poverty Rate: $18,104 per year for 4 people