my child has dyslexia now what n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
My child has dyslexia. Now what? PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
My child has dyslexia. Now what?

My child has dyslexia. Now what?

341 Vues Download Presentation
Télécharger la présentation

My child has dyslexia. Now what?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. My child has dyslexia.Now what?



  4. WHEN DOES MY CHILD QUALIFY FOR A 504 PLAN? If the condition (Dyslexia) substantially limits the student’s learning.

  5. WHAT ABOUT A REFERRAL FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION SERVICES? • When a student with dyslexia has additional deficits in learning that require additional support • These deficits complicate the dyslexia and requires more support than what is available through dyslexia instruction or other modifications through 504

  6. These students are unable to make adequate academic progress utilizing the regular dyslexic services offered by the school.

  7. Questions to ask your child’s school How are students with dyslexia served under 504? Is there a dyslexia specialist at the school? If so, is it a pull-out or push-in program? What staff development or training has the general education teacher been provided in order to work with students with dyslexia?

  8. Questions to ask about the school’s reading program for children with dyslexia. • Is there scientific evidence that the program is effective? • In teaching beginning reading, are phonemic awareness and phonics taught systematically? • How are children taught to approach an unfamiliar word? • Does the program include many opportunities to practice reading, to develop fluency, to build vocabulary, to develop reading comprehension strategies, to write, and to listen and talk about stories?

  9. Strategies and Resources

  10. A few strategies to use with your child with dyslexia • Frequent breaks • Reading to your child • Kinesthetic activities • Scribing for your child • Typing for your child • Talk about words and word meanings • Teach your child to “think out loud” when completing mathematics problems or answering reading questions. This is will allow you, the parent to listen to your child’s thought processes and check for understanding

  11. Dyslexia Handbook

  12. RFB&D Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic/Texas 1314 West 45th Street Austin, TX 78756 (512) 323-9390 (877) 246-7321 (toll free) Fax (512) 323-9399

  13. The Readingpen Advanced Edition is a fully portable, self-contained assistive reading device that is designed especially for people who have reading difficulties, learning disabilities or dyslexia. This portable reading tool provides immediate word support and helps students read and understand independently. The Readingpen Advanced contains over 600,000 words from the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language 4th Edition and Roget's II & Thesaurus. Individual words are enlarged on the Readingpen display, and words may be spelled out, or broken into syllables. This assistive reading device is a completely portable reading tool that does not require a computer. It also helps users with learning disabilities by providing a definition of the scanned word or line of text. It reads both the words and definition aloud using its miniaturized text-to-speech technology. Readingpen pen-shaped scanner & audible dictionary

  14. WordQ™ Writing Software WordQ™ is a software tool used along with standard writing software. WordQ suggests words for you to use and provides spoken feedback to help you find mistakes. Users of all ages who have problems writing and editing, particularly those with learning disabilities (LD), can benefit from using WordQ.

  15. IDA International Dyslexia Association 8600 LaSalle Road Chester Building, Suite 382 Baltimore, MD 21286-2044 (800) ABCD-123 (toll free) Fax (410) 321-5069

  16. LDAT Learning Disabilities Association of Texas 1011 West 31st Street Austin, TX 78705 (512) 458-8234 (800) 604-7500 (Texas residents only) Fax (512) 458-3826

  17. What happens after high school?

  18. Do I have to prove that I have a disability to obtain an academic adjustment? Generally, yes. Your school probably will require you to provide documentation that shows you have a current disability and need an academic adjustment.

  19. As a student with a disability leaving high school and entering postsecondary education, will I see differences in my rights and how they are addressed? Unlike your high school, your postsecondary school is not required to provide FAPE. Rather, your postsecondary school is required to provide appropriate academic adjustments as necessary to ensure that it does not discriminate on the basis of disability.

  20. What documentation should I provide? The required documentation may include one or more of the following: a diagnosis of your current disability; the date of the diagnosis; how the diagnosis was reached; the credentials of the professional; how your disability affects a major life activity; and how the disability affects your academic performance.

  21. Although the Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Section 504 plan, if you have one, may help identify services that have been effective for you, it generally is not sufficient documentation. This is because postsecondary education presents different demands than high school education, and what you need to meet these new demands may be different. Also in some cases, the nature of a disability may change.

  22. Who has to pay for a new evaluation? Neither your high school nor your postsecondary school is required to conduct or pay for a new evaluation to document your disability and need for an academic adjustment.

  23. If you are eligible for services through your state vocational rehabilitation agency, you may qualify for an evaluation at no cost to you. You may locate your state vocational rehabilitation agency through this Department of Education Web page:

  24. Once the school has received the necessary documentation from me, what should I expect? It is important to remember that the school is not required to lower or waive essential requirements. Accommodations vs. Modifications

  25. What can I do if I believe the school is discriminating against me? Practically every postsecondary school must have a person--frequently called the Section 504 Coordinator, ADA Coordinator, or Disability Services Coordinator--who coordinates the school’s compliance with Section 504 or Title II or both laws.

  26. What ACU does ALPHA Scholars Program