70 likes | 190 Vues
Five Reasons to Try Esearch. Teaching/Learning Workshops Eastern Michigan University August 26, 2011 Sara Memmott Emerging Technologies Librarian. What is Esearch ?. Esearch is the EMU library’s branded version of Summon, one of a few “discovery products” for libraries
E N D
Five Reasons to Try Esearch Teaching/Learning Workshops Eastern Michigan University August 26, 2011 Sara Memmott Emerging Technologies Librarian
What is Esearch? • Esearch is the EMU library’s branded version of Summon, one of a few “discovery products” for libraries • Discovery products provide • What searchers want: a simple, Google-like search • What searchers need: lots of quality content
1. Search many types of sources • printed books • e-books • articles (scholarly and popular) • dissertations • music • video • and more… • Compared to Google Scholar: more comprehensive, and more targeted to the library’s subscriptions • Not all library subscriptions are included
2. Cross-disciplinary searching • Large collection allows for interdisciplinary searching • Use subject databases instead of Esearch for: • Special search features • Tighter focus
3. Sort results with facets • Focus or expand the results of a search using the facets on the left side of the results. • Advanced search also offers search limiters.
4. Online indicator • It’s easy to spot what’s immediately available online. • Connects to FindText+ to direct you to the library’s subscriptions.
5. Easy for students to use • Studies show that most students think Esearch is easy to use. • Search is similar to Google – full text searching with relevance ranking. • Students can spend more time evaluating sources, rather than searching for them. • Significant increases in use of library’s online subscriptions at other institutions with Esearch