Questions and Answers for Chapter 3 Review! December 2, 2011
1. List four physical conditions that can be developed through physical play. • Answer: • Hand-eye coordination, • muscle memory, • brain-extremity pathways, • and motor skills.
2. Define socializing. • Answer: • Interacting in a group environment.
3. Describe a mental acuity game. • Answer: Games that involve mental skill, rather than physical skill.
4. How do board games differ from puzzles? • Answer: Board games require two or more players while puzzles can be completed by one player.
5. Place the following developments in the proper chronological order.A. Sporting games.B. Card games.C. Simple toys.D. Video games.E. Board games.F. Puzzles.G. Themed board games. • Answer:C, A, F, E, B, G, D
6. What is immersion, as related to video games? • Answer: The degree to which the player becomes fully involved with the game world.
7. Define desensitization. • Answer: A condition occurring when a person is exposed to something enough, such as violence, that the person no longer experiences an emotional response.
8. What are the three areas of debate concerning learning and development? • Answer: • Behavioral development, • cognitive (mental) development, • and motor skill (physical) development.
9. Describe the phenomenon of cocooning. • Answer: When an individual does not play and interact with their physical environment, such as when kids stay inside and play video games alone.
10. What is a cognitive skill? • Answer: A skill that involves intellectual activity.
11. Define stereotype. • Answer: A personal opinion that a member of a group of people has the same characteristics as all in the group.
12. Of the three areas of debate concerning learning and development, in which area is hand-eye coordination? • Answer: Motor skills development.
13. What is one physical injury that can result from video game play? • Answer: Carpal tunnel syndrome.
14. In what year was the first video game patent issued? • Answer:1948
15. In what year was the first television-projection game invented? • Answer:1966
16. What was the first coin-operated video game and where was it located? • Answer: Spacewar! located at Stanford University.
17. The first commercially successful video computer system that used interchangeable cartridges was the _____ system. • Answer:Atari
18. Which generation saw the introduction of the Nintendo Game Boy? • Answer:Generation 3.
19. DVD technology was introduced in generation 6 by which two manufacturers? • Answer: Sony (PS2) and Microsoft (Xbox).
20. Define backward compatibility, as related to video games. • Answer: A new game system that can play games made for an older version of the same system.
21. What is a third-party provider, as related to video games? • Answer: Developers that develop games for systems manufactured by other companies.
22. A(n) _____ controller allows the player to swing the controller like a bat when playing a baseball game or a tennis racket when playing a tennis game. • Answer:motion-based
23. Describe online play. • Answer: When players connect to games with other players via the Internet.
24. When is a licensing agreement used for video game development? • Answer: It is used between a game system manufacturer and third-party designers so the third-party designers can obtain the source code needed to create a game for a specific system.
25. What is a proprietary game? • Answer: A game developed by the manufacturer of a game system.
26. What is the most important thing computers have brought to the world of gaming? • Answer: A computer allows things to occur in video games that cannot occur in any other type of game.
27. List four things that help create a nearly complete level of immersion in today’s video games. • Answer: • Rich 3D graphics, • motion-based controllers, • online social interaction, • and realistically shaped controllers.
28. What is the game industry’s self-regulating organization? • Answer: Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB)
29. How are the six different ratings for games categorized? • Answer: By age and content.
30. Who has the ultimate responsibility to choose appropriate games? • Answer: Parents and players.
For Today: • Family Tree Project due today! Finish it! • Homework: Study for Test on Monday. Any Questions?