Transformational Leadership in the new science
Definition according to dictionary.com Corporation A body that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own rights, privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members.
Definition according tothe film – the corporation Corporation • a legal entity, allowed by legislation in a state, which permits a group of people, as shareholders (for-profit companies) or members (non-profit companies), • to create an organization, • which can then focus on pursuing set objectives • and exercise legal rights, which are usually only reserved for individuals, such as to sue and be sued, own property, hire employees or loan and borrow money.
What makes a good company? LEADERSHIP
Transformational vs. Traditional Transformational Leadership processes are
Transformational leadership differs from traditional concepts of leadership
Helping them to take on challenges, and • Developing ownership
There are six processesin transformational leadership • Developing a shared vision • Inspiring and communicating • Valuing others • Challenging & stimulating • Developing trust • Enabling
1. Developing a shared vision This includes providing a sense of • Mission • Vision • Excitement • Pride
2. Inspiring and Communicating • Communicating a vision • Focusing attention of others on key ideas • Active listening • Providing feedback
3. Valuing Others • Focusing on individual needs • Caring about others • Encouraging & valuing others
4. Challenging & Stimulating • Enabling the flow of new ideas • Challenge current process & suggest new ways forward • Develop problem-solving skills • Search for opportunities for improvement
5. Developing trust Developing trust respect through words and actions
6. Enabling • Creating opportunities for involvement • Supporting risk-taking • Fostering collaboration & involvement • Enable others to be self-reliant and confident
How are leadership & science related? Leadership & science
Science Fractals area rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be subdivided in parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced-size copy of the whole
A fractal reveals its complex shape through continuous self-reference to a simple initial equation
- Margaret Wheatley Leadership “Thus the work of any team or organization needs to start with a clear sense of what they are trying to accomplish and how they want to behave together”
goals = initial equations Think of goals as initial equations leadership fractals
Great Places to Work® Institute Named 5 companies whose leaders have done a remarkable job of implementing programs and practices that fit their cultures, build trust, and address the key areas necessary to create great workplaces.
Credibility Award Starbucks Recognized for its Mission Review program, which encourages every Starbucks partner to question any business practices they believe run contrary to the company’s mission statement.
Fairness Award FedEx Corporation Recognized for their Guaranteed Fair Treatment Procedure and RESPECT (Resolving Employee Situations and Problems Encourages Company-wide Trust) program.
Camaraderie Award Hot Topic, Inc Recognized for its uniquely stimulating, creative work atmosphere where employees are encouraged to be themselves.
Respect Award Analytical Graphics Inc. recognized for the extensive and cohesive collection of training and development programs offered to employees at all levels within the company.
Pride Award Griffin Hospital Recognized for the implementation of the Planetree patient-centered care model, which enables employees to practice their profession the way they envisioned it – with the focus on patient care and satisfaction.
Leaders are so afraid of paradox, so afraid of uncertainty. It takes a lot of bravery even to consider that uncertainty is not a threat, that in fact it's creative and powerful - Margaret Wheatley