Unit 7.7 Welding
Welding 1. What is essential to know to achieve optimum performance of your plasma cutting system?
2. Welding • What is Plasma?It’s the fourth state of matter that forms because of heat added to gas
3. Welding 3. What is the perfect cut? It Would Have a Square angle, no Metallurgical Changes, and no kerf
4. Welding 4. List 4 types of cutting methods. Chemical, Thermal, Mechanical, and Thermal-chemical
5. Welding 5. What is the 4th state of matter? Plasma
6. Welding 6. What are the first three states of matter? Solid, liquid, and Gas
7. Welding 7. Define ice. Ice is the solid state of water
8. Welding 8. Define steam. Steam is the gas form of water
9. Welding 9. Explain ionization of gases.
10. Welding 10. What is a natural example of plasma . Lightning
11.Welding 11. Define Plasma Cutting.
12.Welding 12. What does the torch do? The torch is a holder for consumable parts and provides cooling to these parts
13.Welding 13. What does the nozzle and electrode do?
14.Welding 14. What are the four major system components of every plasma cutting system? Start Signal, Torch Starting Mechanisms, Gas Flow, Pilot Arc
15.Welding 15. Define power supply. Produces constants pure DC Output
16.Welding 16. Explain what the gas console does?
17.Welding 17. Explain the functions of the torch. Holds the consumable parts and cools them it is the most important piece of the puzzle
18.Welding 18. List the sequence of events that takes place with plasma cutting.
19.Welding 19. What does OCV stand for? Open current Voltage
20. Welding 20. What does HF stand for? High frequency
21. Welding 21. When the pilot arc is brought into contact with the ___Work Piece_______, it will attach to the workpiece. The ___Plasma_______ arc melts the metal, and the high velocity gas removes the molten material.
22. Welding 22. What causes nozzle damage? Pitting and Ovaling the ofrice
23. Welding 23. What is torch shielding?
24. Welding 24. List 4 benefits of torch shielding?
25. Welding 25. Define Kerf: an opening caused by metal removed by plasma arc
26. Welding 26. Define dross. Dross is the resolidfied on the bottom or top of the cut
27. Welding 28. What are lag lines? Lag lines are ripples on the cut face or surface
28. Welding 28. What are three applications of using plasma cutting?