FIRE SAFETY Information and Prevention April 2009
Training Objectives • Identify facts about house fires • Learn numerous ways house fires can be prevented and be able to teach these tips to others
Statistics • Eighty-two percent of all fire deaths occur in the home. • Each year about 300 people are killed and $280 million in property is destroyed in fires attributed to children playing with fire. • Having a working smoke alarm reduces one's chance of dying in a fire by nearly one-half. (U.S. Fire Administration)
Facts • More house fires occur in the winter months, than at any other time of the year. • Cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the United States. • Young children and older adults face a higher risk of death from cooking fires, than do other age groups. • Frying poses a higher risk of fire than other cooking methods. (U.S. Fire Administration)
Heating appliances are the second leading cause of house fires in the United States. • Fires confined to chimneys, flues, fuel boxes or boilers, account for 86% of residential building heating fires. • In less than 30 seconds, a small flame can get completely out of control and turn into a major fire. (U.S. Fire Administration)
Missouri Child Fire Deaths • In Missouri in 2007, 22 children died as a result of unintentional fire/burn injury. • Fire and burn injuries are the third leading cause of unintentional injury deaths among Missouri children.
■Young children, ages four and under, are at the greatest risk from home fire-and burn-related death and injury, and are more than twice as likely to die in a fire than the rest of the population. ■Of the 22 children who died from fire/burns in Missouri in 2007, 9 were under the age of five.
In 2007, a four-year old set his bed on fire while playing with matches. He was rushed to the hospital, where he died in the emergency room. It was reported that he had been caught playing with matches the day before. • In 2007, four children and two adults all died in a house fire that was a result of faulty wiring. There were no smoke detectors in the house.
Preventing House Fires • Never walk away from food cooking on the stove. • Do not leave burning candles unattended. • A gas range or oven should not be used as a heater, as this can produce toxic fumes. • When using electric heaters, make sure extension cords can carry the amp load required to operate the heater.
Do not use electric space heaters in bathrooms, kitchens or other rooms, where they could have contact with water. • Keep all electric heaters and fuel burning heaters away from furniture and drapes. • Fireplace chimneys should be cleaned yearly. • Wood stove chimneys should be cleaned once a month.
When using a fireplace or wood stove, do not use flammable liquids to start a fire. • If a fire has been burning, do not go to sleep until making sure the fire in the fireplace is out. • A glass or metal screen should be sitting in front of a fireplace that is being used. This will prevent embers from coming out from the fireplace. • Keep trash away from all heat sources.
Make sure there are working smoke detectors, mounted to the ceilings, on all levels of the house. • Install carbon monoxide detectors in the house. • Have fire extinguishers in the kitchen and laundry room of the house. • Keep the clothes dryer lint trap cleaned and lint free.
As a family, devise an escape plan, in case there is a house fire. Practice the plan. • Talk to your kids about the dangers of playing with matches and lighters. • Never run electrical cords under rugs. • Replace loose or frayed electrical cords.
What Children Can Do to Prevent House Fires • Don't play with matches or lighters. These can hurt you, and they can start a house or yard fire. • Make sure to turn off TVs, stereos, lamps and other equipment before leaving your room or home. • Don't sit too close to a fireplace. The embers from the fire can catch on your clothes.
Ask your parents where the smoke detectors are in your house and know what to do if you hear them beep. • Do not wear loose pajamas or clothing around electric or gas space heaters. Loose clothing can catch on the heater and burn.
Learn how to stop, drop, and roll. This is important to know. If your clothes are on fire, it is best to stop, drop to the floor and roll around on the floor until the fire is put out instead of running. • Know to call 9-1-1 if there is ever a fire in your home.
For More Information • Missouri Division of Fire Safety, http://www.dfs.dps.mo.gov/ • U.S. Fire Administration for Kids, http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/kids/html/index.shtm • U.S. Fire Administration, http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/ • United States Fire Administration, http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/ • Fire Safety.gov, http://www.firesafety.gov/ • National Fire Protection Association, http://www.nfpa.org/ • National Association of State Fire Marshals, http://www.firemarshals.org/
Missouri Department of Social Services State Technical Assistance Team Address: PO Box 208Jefferson City, MO 65102-0208 Telephone: (573) 751-5980(800) 487-1626(8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, Monday – Friday) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org