1 / 15

Registering for your 11 th Grade Classes

Registering for your 11 th Grade Classes. At Irvington. Updated : 2/2014. Registration form is due to your English teacher February 28 th !.

Télécharger la présentation

Registering for your 11 th Grade Classes

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. Content is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only. Download presentation by click this link. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server. During download, if you can't get a presentation, the file might be deleted by the publisher.


Presentation Transcript

  1. Registering for your 11th Grade Classes At Irvington Updated: 2/2014

  2. Registration form is due to your English teacher February 28th! • Students will be meeting with their counselor individually to have their course requests entered, and will have the opportunity to ask questions at that time. • If there is a possibility you might not be at IHS next year, register for classes anyway so you have a spot in the event you stay. • Step 1: Choose your Classes • If you are applying to a family, you have to complete an application. Go to irvington.org under the programs tab. • Family Coordinators: • SHAPE: Ms. Avina: aavina@fremont.k12.ca.us • ITA: Mr. Albizo: halbizo@fremont.k12.ca.us • CCA: Ms. Friend: cfriend@fremont.k12.ca.us • NMAA: Ms. Burton sburton@fremont.k12.ca.us • www.nmaaihs.org • English: Students MUST have their current teacher sign their registration form if they are registering for ANY AP class.

  3. US History: Every 11th grade student must take US History. Students MUST have their current teacher sign their registration form if they are registering for ANY AP class. • Math: Students MUST have their current teacher sign their registration form for ANY MATH CLASS. See suggested math sequence sheet for recommended class. • Science: (not required for graduation. Skip if you have completed the graduation requirement and are choosing to not take a science class during 11th grade). Most science classes have grade prerequisites. Check the Course Options Form. See suggested science sequence sheet for recommended class. • 11th grade students cannot take more than ONE math course or more than ONE science course (due to lab/classroom space limitations).

  4. World Language/Fine Art/ROP/Elective: • Choose your electives thoughtfully based on meeting graduation requirements and college admission requirements. • List classes in order of preference and make sure to list an alternate elective. If you do not add an alternate elective and the class you want is full, an elective will be chosen for you. • Make sure to have teachers sign for EVERY course that requires a teacher’s signature or the course request will not be honored. Courses that need a signature say “Teacher Rec” next to them on the Course Options Form.

  5. Off-Campus ROP Classes • Mission Valley ROP provides relevant career technical education by preparing students for employment and college through industry standard tools, training, and experience. • Important Notes: • Classes are 2 periods in length and are held at the ROP center (They are 1st and 2nd period or 5th and 6th). • Students that take a 1st/2nd period class have to provide their own transportation to ROP. • Course information/videos and requirements can be found at mvrop.org • If a student drops an off-campus ROP class, they must add a different off-campus ROP class. • Many classes are “a-g” approved. See the ucop.edu/doorways website for more information. • NEWer classes: • Automotive Technology • Law Enforcement • Architecture and Civil Engineering • Forensic Science will NOT be offered for 2014-2015

  6. Course Prerequisites: course prerequisites are stated on the Course Options form. Many classes require students to have a teacher recommendation AND a certain 1st semester grade in their current class. Students must have both. Having a teacher recommendation without the grade requirement is not enough to enroll in the class. • Zero Period/7th Period class: If you would like to enroll in a 0 period or 7thperiod class,list it in the appropriate box. • AP Registration Form: Must be completed by EVERY student planning to take ANY AP course.

  7. AP Classes EVERY STUDENT that is registering for ANY AP course must complete the AP Registration Form and attach it to their registration packet. Extra copies can be found online at irvington.org under the “counselors” tab.

  8. AP Classes • If you are registering for AP classes: • Make sure you are prepared and have an interest in the subject. • Make sure you will have the time necessary to be successful in all of your classes. • Remember to take into consideration clubs, extra-curricular activities, job/volunteer work, etc. • AP and honors classes cannot be made up in summer school so if you do poorly, you are stuck with the NC. • Understand that you will not have the opportunity to transfer to a college prep course once the school year begins (even if you are failing the course or are earning a “c” grade). The number of spaces in college prep classes are based on student requests at the time of registration. • DO NOT • DO NOT take AP classes just because your friends/peers are. Everyone has different ability levels. Take the most challenging classes that YOU can still do well in. • DO NOT take AP classes just to impress colleges. GPA is still the most important factor in college admissions. If you take 6 AP classes but do not do well in them, it will not matter for college admissions that you took them and will negatively impact your application.

  9. Graduation/ UC/CSU Requirements • Keep these in mind when registering for your classes. • English: 40 credits • History: 30 credits • Math: 30 credits (including both semesters of Algebra 1) CSU/UC: At least Geometry and Algebra 2 • Fine Art/ World Language: You need 10 credits of a Fine Art OR World Language to graduate. CSU/UC: A yearlong Art class ANDat least level 2 of a language are needed. • Health: 5 credits required • PE: 20 credits required • Science: 20 credits required. CSU/UC: Prefer Biology and Chemistry. • Electives: 75 credits required. Any class taken after a subject requirement is met is counted as an elective (Ex: Your 3rd year of science counts as an elective).

  10. Know Irvington’s a-g list http://www.ucop.edu/doorways/ Every class at Irvington that fulfills an a-g subject requirement for CSU and UC admission can be found on this list.

  11. New/Newer Classes/Changes: • Algebra 2: NEW name for Intermediate Algebra. Students should register for this class if they get a C or low B in Geometry (a-g approved). • Trigonometry: Prerequisite is Algebra 2 (a-g approved). • Robotics: Learn to build and program robots. No prior experience needed. See Ms. Berbawy’s website for more info (a-g pending). Prerequisite is Algebra 2 concurrently. • Biotechnology: a-g approved physical lab science (like Chemistry). Prerequisite is Algebra 2 taken concurrently. Limited sections. 12th graders that have not passed chemistry have priority. • Creative Writing: a-g approved area “g.” • Business Math: math credit for graduation

  12. Step Three: Proof of residency. Attach COPIES (you will not get them back) of two forms of proof. • Step Four: Parent and student signatures are required. • Note that: • Course requests cannot be guaranteed • Students will not be able to drop courses once the school year begins. • Add/drop process is changing for the 2014-2015 school year. Students will NOT be able to drop courses once the school year begins. • Teacher recommendations can be revoked based on 2nd semester performance. • Your transcript MUST stay attached to this packet!!!!!

  13. Additional Notes • On Campus ROP Courses are 1 period in length (check ucop.edu/doorways to see what classes are a-g approved). • Computer Support and Business Math are the only non-college prep math classes offered at Irvington that students can take to earn math credits towards graduation only. • Sports/Physical Therapy is a science class that students can take to earn science credits towards graduation only. • Marching Band is Fall semester only (5 credits of PE). • Jazz Ensemble is 0 period Spring semester only. • Kinesiology (Ohlone) awards PE credits (5) for Fall semester and elective credits (5) for Spring semester. • Counselors are available to STUDENTS during lunch and after school during the registration weeks. They are not in their offices (in classes doing registration) during class periods.

  14. Irvington.org Visit the Counselor’s Corner and the College and Career Center online for answers to many frequently asked questions…

  15. Don’t forget to register on School Loop! School Loop helps you stay on track. Parents should register to have access to student’s grades and receive important information from IHS.

More Related