40 likes | 130 Vues
History of Saint John the Evangelist Church’s Stained Glass Windows
E N D
History of Saint John the Evangelist Church’s Stained Glass Windows The stained glass windows of the church were installed in 1925 at a cost of $4,250. The Munich Studio of Chicago created them. The founder of the studio was an artist named Max Guler. The studio was in operation from 1903 until 1932 when they had to close because of The Great Depression. So, Saint John’s windows were created during this time. Guler and his team of artists were influenced by the German Baroque style with elaborate details, asymmectrical figure groupings, strong contrasts of light and shadow, small sections of landscape, and lots of pillars and arches. Peter Kugel specialized in faces. Herman Schulze created landscapes, floral designs, cloth texture, and curtains. George Wieroder and Joseph Lazar cut, fired, and lead glass. Guler designed and assisted in all phases of the process. Guler later worked for the Drehobl Brothers Art Glass Company of Chicago where they remember Guler as a short, stout man whose greatest enjoyment was to sit at his drawing board dreaming of new ways to express a Biblical event or quotation. Restoration of the windows occurred from 1991-1993 at a cost of about $45,000. The Shenandoah Studios of Stained Glass of Front Royal, Virginia, restored them. Other projects for the church like repainting, new carpet, refinishing pews and building an addition also took place during the early 90’s. Iridescent, radiant light streams into the church through the beautiful glass of the windows illuminating the space. Herman Schulze, Landscape Artist Artists working in Munich Studio.