2014 Parent Survey Completed March 1, 2014
Question 1 Comment Themes • Kids truly enjoy being a part of the Program; • Kids tremendously enjoy the friendships but feels that other parts of the Program needs Improvement; • Children have developed strong friendships with other students;
2. The CHHS Band Program allows my child to have positive interactions with his/her peers.
Question 2 Comment Themes • Student leaders are given the ability to abuse their leadership role; • Students really enjoy spending time with each other;
3. The CHHS band program provides my child with opportunities to exhibit and improve his or her musical and/or guard skills.
Question 3 Comment Themes • Class time during school hours, is spent preparing for competitions and not individual growth; • Children are becoming better musicians; • Some children are considered favorites and receive more opportunities;
Question 4 Comment Themes • Band Director is committed to the Program; • The Band Director puts in many long hours dedicated to the Program; • The Band Directors primary focus is personal agenda, trophies and winning;
5. The band director demonstrates commitment to band students’ overall academic success.
Question 5 Comment Themes • The excessive and late hours are not conducive to meeting other academic requirements; • Encouraged to work on homework before practice; • Band commitments are expected to be a priority over other academic requirements;
6. The band director provides adequate feedback on my child’s progression within the program.
Question 6 Comment Themes • Progress Reports are seldom sent home; • There is very seldom any feedback communicated to parents;
Question 7 Comment Themes • Grading system is extremely unclear and inconsistent; • Grading system seems to be subjective;
8. I receive timely and accurate information regarding band activities and requirements.
Question 8 Comment Themes • Last minute changes are too common and a hardship on working parents; • Most information comes from Booster Club, would like to see more direct communication from the Band Director;
9. My child’s safety and well-being is a top priority for the band staff.
Question 9 Comment Themes • Water breaks and heat stress need to be a larger consideration; • Potentially dangerous weather is not taken seriously enough; • Injuries are not taken seriously and kids are pressured to practice through them;
10. My child receives fair opportunities to try out for special positions/parts within the band.
Question 10 Comment Themes • There are no opportunities or recognizable try outs; • Favoritism is the primary driver for special parts and positions;
Question 11 Comment Themes • Needs to provide adequate instruction for percussion students; • Musical knowledge is strong;
12. Staff members are knowledgeable in their area. (Assistant Band Director)
Question 12 Comment Themes • Either was not aware there was an Assistant Band Director or did not know who the Assistant Band Director was; • There is a great deal of respect for the Assistant Band Director; • Is a positive motivator;
Question 13 Comment Themes • Strong technical skills and over all knowledge; • Insufficient appropriate leadership skills, disrespectful towards students;
14. Staff members are knowledgeable in their area. (Percussion Instructor (Fall))
Question 14 Comment Themes • Strict but fair; • The children really like him;
15. Staff members are knowledgeable in their area. (Percussion Instructor (Winter))
Question 15 Comment Themes • He is not around enough; • A lot of people have not met him yet; • Still learning about him;
16. Staff strive to build positive character traits and enhance self-esteem. (Band Director)
Question 16 Comment Themes • Emotional mood swings, sometimes very upbeat and other times extremely angry; • As the Band Director she should be more willing to address issues with contract staff; • Children are doing well and thriving in the class;
17. Staff strive to build positive character traits and enhance self-esteem. (Guard Instructor)
Question 17 Comment Themes • Singles out and embarrasses/ humiliates children in front of their peers; • Disrespectful and negative; • Displays favoritism towards select Guard members; • Pushes the kids to achieve the best results;
18. Staff strive to build positive character traits and enhance self-esteem. (Percussion Instructor (Fall))
Question 18 Comment Themes • Disciplined and praised at appropriate times; • Respected by students and cared about them as people; • Showed concern for outside band activities such as academics;
19. Staff strive to build positive character traits and enhance self-esteem. (Percussion Instructor (Winter))
Question 19 Comment Themes • Don’t really know him yet/too new to form an opinion;
20. Staff provide my child with positive and constructive feedback. (Band Director)
Question 20 Comment Themes • Not much feedback is given; • More positive feedback provided in the presence of parents; more negative feedback when the parents are not around; • Tries to be positive most of the time;
21. Staff provide my child with positive and constructive feedback. (Assistant Band Director)
Question 21 Comment Themes • Very complementary with the children; • Uses constructive teaching technique; • Well respected; • Publicly praises the children;
22. Staff provide my child with positive and constructive feedback. (Guard Instructor)
Question 22 Comment Themes • Most feedback appears to be extremely negative; • Harsh criticisms that leaves children feeling humiliated;
23. Staff provide my child with positive and constructive feedback. (Percussion Instructor (Fall))
Question 23 Comment Themes • Positive and constructive feedback; • Viewed by students in a positive light; • Focused on growing their musical skills;
24. Staff provide my child with positive and constructive feedback. (Percussion Instructor (Winter))
Question 24 Comment Themes • Too new to evaluate;
25. Staff are adequately prepared for practices and use time efficiently. (Band Director)