Contents 1 Proverbs and Quotations 2 Lead-in 3 Words Word Study 4 Text Analysis Text Analysis 5 Exercises
Inspiring quotations 1.To love our parents is the first law of nature. 爱父母是自然的首要法则。 2.We never know the love of our parents for us till we have become parents. 养儿方知父母恩。 3.All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother. 我之所有，我之所能，都归功于我天使般的母亲。 4.A mother’s love never changes. 母爱永远不变。
Story — Mother’s Love Listen to the story and then answer the questions.
1. What did the boy ask for from his mother? 2. What did the mother do to answer the boy? 3. What did the boy do after reading the answer? 4. What did the boy write as the answer? 5. What did you get from the story? Money for what he had done for her. She turned over the paper and wrote her answer on it. He was moved and there were big tears in his eyes. Paid in full.
A little boy came up to his mother in the kitchen one evening while she was fixing supper and handed her a piece of paper that he had been writing on. After his Mom dried her hands on an apron, she read it and this is what it said: For cutting the grass: $5.00 For cleaning up my room this week: $1.00 For going to the store for you: 50 cents Baby-sitting my little brother while you went shopping: 25 cents Taking out the garbage: $1.00 For getting a good report card: $5.00 For cleaning up and raking the yard: $2.00 Total owed: $14.75 Well, his mother looked at him standing there, and the boy could see the memories flashing through her mind. She picked up the pen, turned over the paper he’d written on, and this is what she wrote
For the nine months I carried you while you were growing inside me: No charge For all the nights that I’ve sat up with you, doctored and prayed for you: No charge For all the trying times and all the tears that you’ve caused through the years: No charge For all the nights that were filled with dread, and for the worries I knew were ahead: No charge For the toys, food, clothes and even wiping your nose: No charge. Son, when you add it up, the cost of my love is: No charge When the boy finished reading what his mother had written, there were big tears in his eyes and he looked straight at his mother and said, “Mom, I sure do love you.” And then he took the pen and in great big letters he wrote: “PAID IN FULL”.
Poem Appreciation Not until I became a mother did I understand How much my mother had sacrificed (牺牲 )for me; Not until I became a mother did I feel How hurt my mother was when I disobeyed; Not until I became a mother did I know ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ Not until I became a mother did I realize ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ — Victoria Farnsworth how proud my mother was when I achieved how much my mother loves me
Warm-up Questions • 1. Does your mother work? What’s her job? • 2. Who does the household work, your father or your mother or both of them? • 3. What have your parents done for you? • 4. What have you done / are you doing to repay your parents? • 5. Have you ever seen your mother ( or father)cry ?
Unit 5 The Day Mother Cried 3 1
Guess cry weep wail sob
cry: most general one weep: to let flow tears(哭泣) sob: to breathe while weeping, in sudden short bursts啜泣 wail: to cry out with a long sound suggesting pain. 痛哭
First reading Global analysis • 1. Part division Parts Paras Main Ideas 1 1-6 Found Mother in tears on a dark winter’s day 2 7-17 Brought back my memory of the past 3 18-21 Realized Mum’s pressure and vulnerability 4 22-24 Learned perseverance and courage
Second reading Global analysis • 2. Chronology of the story (1) No Time Happenings 1 Some years before The family moved to town 2 Months after motel Started to learn typing 3 Nearly Christmas Got a job at the radio station 4 Monday Worked for the first day 5 Tuesday Had trouble with typing
Global analysis • Chronology of the story (2) No Time Happenings 6 Wednesday Cried 7 A week later Sold dry goods 8 Two years later Had an office job Years after graduation Already a journalist 9 10 Now The typewriter as a memento
Third reading job at the radio station a motel Opened a nursery Information Finding Mother’s job-(6)
a saleswoman an office job journalist
Unit 5The Day Mother Cried A mother and her son learn more from a moment of defeat than they ever could from a victory. Her example of never giving up gives him courage for the rest of his life. go
Questions on Part 1 (paras.1-6) 1. What did the author plan to do when he came home from school one winter day? 2. What did he see in the living room? 3. Why was his mother in tears? He planned to read a new issue of his favorite sports magazine. He saw his mother crying there. She was going to lose her new job.
The Day Mother Cried 充满期待 Gerald Moore 1. Coming home from school that dark winter’s day so long ago, I was filled with anticipation. I had a new issue of my favorite sports magazinetucked under my arm, and the house to myself. Dad was at work, my sister was away, and Mother wouldn’t be home from her new job for an hour. I bounded up the steps, burst into the living room and flipped on a light. Article1_W 惊得目瞪口呆 2. I was shocked into stillness by what I saw. Mother, pulled into a tight ball with her face in her hands, sat at the far end of the couch. She was crying. I had never seen her cry. 3. I approached cautiously and touched her shoulder. “Mother?” I said. “What’s happened?”
Language Point • issue: n. a particular edition of a magazine or newspaper • 刊物的一期 Do you have today’s issue of China Daily? 最新一期的《翻译》上有你的文章。 The latest issue of Translation contains an article written by you. issue & edition 这两个名词均有“期刊、出版物”的意思。 issue 指的是报纸、期刊等发行或刊物。常用的搭配有the latest issue（最新一期期刊）, the back issue（过期期刊）等。 edition 指的是出版或发行的版本。常用的搭配有 first edition(第一版), revised edition(修订版)等。例如： The second edition greatly improves on the first edition. 第二版比第一版好了许多。
have something to oneself:have something for one’s own private use 独自享用 Would you like to have a table to yourself when you dine? 你吃饭时想一个人单独坐一张桌子吗？ 室友们都出去了，我就一个人独自占有整个房子了。 I had the entire house to myselfwhen my roommates were out.
3. burst into: • move somewhere suddenly or quickly, especially into or • out of a place 匆匆进入(某处) He burst into the classroom, grabbed his books and burst out again. 他冲进教室，抓起书，又冲了出去。 2) suddenly begin to make a sound, especially to start singing, crying, or laughing; suddenly start to burn very strongly 突然开始(某事), 突然进入(某种状态) Mary burst into tears at the news. Pattern: burst into + n. burst into laughter / anger / song burst into + v-ing burst into crying / laughing
强作欢笑 4. She took a long breath and managed a weak smile. “It’s nothing, really. Nothing important. Just that I’m going to lose this new job. I can’t type fast enough.” 5. “But you’ve only been there three days,” I said. “You’ll catch on.” I was repeating a line she had spoken to me a hundred times when I was having trouble learning or doing something important to me. 6. “No,” she said sadly. “I always said I could do anything I set my mind to, and I still think I can in most things. But I can’t do this.”
Sentence Understanding 1.It’s nothing, really. Nothing important. Do you think the mother really meant it when she said it?/ Why did she say so? She said so to relieve the son, to control her emotion and to try to persuade herself not to mind it too much.
2. I was repeating a line she had spoken to me a hundred times when I was having trouble learning or doing something important to me. What can we learn from the boy’s words? It shows that the boy was too surprised to say anything useful; or the boy had never came across such kind of situation and he did not know what to say. Which shows Mother was a strong-willed woman and never cries before the author. 我这是在重复她讲过上百次的一句话，每当我学习或做一件与自己关系重大的事情而遇到困难时，她总是这样跟我说的。
5. catch on: 1) begin to understand or realize something 学会，懂得 The first time the teacher explained, only a few students caught on. 2) become popular or fashionable 哪几首歌现在最流行？ Which songs catch on well these days?
6.set one’s mind to something / doing something: give all one’s attention to doing something下决心 Proverb: Nothing in the world is difficult for one who sets his mind to it. 世上无难事，只怕有心人。 Collocations: 开始，着手 set about 留出，拨出（时间、金钱等） set aside set back 推迟；耽误；阻碍 set off 出发，动身，点燃, 爆炸 set out 动身, 出发，着手, 开始
Article2_W 7. I felt helpless and out of place. At age 16 I still assumed Mother could do anything. Some years before, when we sold our ranch and moved to town, Mother had decided to open a day nursery. She had had no training, but that didn’t stand in her way. She sent away forcorrespondence courses in child care, did the lessons and in six months formally qualified herself for the task. It wasn’t long before she had a full enrollment and a waiting list. I accepted all this as a perfectly normal instance of Mother’s ability. 招生额满
send away for:request (sth.) or order (goods) to be sent by post 写信索要，邮购 You can send away for this book if it is not available in your town. 如果在你镇上买不到这本书，你可以邮购。 Collocations: 派人去拿；召唤 发出（函件、货物等） 为…送行，寄出; 发出 send for send out send off
I felt helpless and out of place. 1. What’s the meaning of “out of place” here? “Out of place” means “not suitable for a particular situation or occasion.” Here refers to I felt unable to give any help to my mother and , therefore, awkward. 2. Translate the sentence into Chinese. 我感到既无能为力，又十分尴尬。
stand in one’s way:prevent somebody from doing something阻碍，妨碍 I won’t stand in your way if you can find a better job elsewhere. 如果你决意离开，没有人会阻拦你。 No one will stand in your way if you set your mind to leaving.
8. qualify: v.if something qualifies you to do something, you have the necessary skills, knowledge, ability, etc. to do it. His skills qualify him for the job. Pattern: qualify somebody for something qualify somebody to do something qualify somebody as something Eg: He is qualified for the post. Are you qualified to teach French? His training qualifies him as a lawyer.
She sent away for correspondence courses in child care, did the lessons and in six months formally qualified herself or the task. What can we infer from the sentence? His mother was really very smart. She could learn things quickly. 她写信要求参加幼托函授课程，学习了六个月就正式获得从事这项工作的资格。
8. But neither the nursery nor the motel my parents bought later had provided enough income to send my sister and me to college. In two years I would be ready for college. In three more my sister would want to go. Time was running out, and Mother was frantic for ways to save money. It was clear that Dad could do no more than he was doing already — farming 80 acres in addition to holding a fulltime job. Article3_W 9. A few months after we’d sold the motel, Mother arrived home with a used typewriter. It skipped between certain letters and the keyboard was soft. At dinner that night I pronounced the machine a “piece of junk.” 10.“That’s all we can afford,” Mother said. “It’s good enough to learn on.” And from that day on, as soon as the table was cleared and the dishes were done, Mother would disappear into her sewing room to practice. The slow tap, tap, tap went on some nights until midnight.
run out: 1) use all of something and not have any more left用完, 耗尽 他总是没等到发薪日就把钱用完了。 He is always running out of money before payday. 2) if an agreement, official document, etc. runs out, the period for which it is legal or has an effect ends 到期、失效 The contract will run out next month. Collocations: 撞倒 run down 遇到；达到；撞上 run into 辗过 run over
The slow tap, tap, tap went on some nights until midnight. What can we learn from “slow” and “until midnight”? “Slow” implies “it’s difficult to learn to type”. From “until midnight”, we can see Mother’s determination and perseverance.
Useful Expressions of Paras.1-10 be filled with anticipation 1. 充满期待 2. 独自享用 have something to oneself 3. 冲进客厅 burst into the living room 4. 惊得目瞪口呆 be shocked into stillness 5. 强作欢笑 manage a weak smile 6.邮购 send away for 7. 除……之外 8.下决心 9.深深吸一口气 10.招生额满 11.妨碍某人 in addition to set one’s mind to take a long breath have a full enrollment stand in one’s way
11. It was nearly Christmas when I heard Mother got a job at the radio station. I was not the least bit surprised, or impressed. But she was ecstatic. 12. Monday, after her first day at work, I could see that the excitement was gone. Mother looked tired and drawn. I responded by ignoring her. 13. Tuesday, Dad made dinner and cleaned the kitchen. Mother stayed in her sewing room, practicing. “Is Mother all right?” I asked Dad. 14. “She’s having a little trouble with her typing,” he said. “She needs to practice. I think she’d appreciate it if we all helped out a bit more.” 15. “I already do a lot,” I said, immediately on guard. 16. “I know you do,” Dad said evenly. “And you may have to do more. You might just remember that she is working primarily so you can go to college.” 17. I honestly didn’t care. I wished she would just forget the whole thing. 18. My shock and embarrassment at finding Mother in tears on Wednesday was a perfect index of how little I understood the pressures on her. Sitting beside her on the couch, I began very slowly to understand. Article4_W
I was not the least bit surprised, or impressed. But she was ecstatic. Why were their responses so different? The boy took it for granted that his mother was capable of doing anything; For Mother, however, it was a great surprise because it was, as a matter of fact, a real challenge and she got the job with great difficulty.
“She’s having a little trouble with her typing,” he said. “She needs to practice. I think she’d appreciate it if we all helped out a bit more.” What can we infer from the sentence? • The children and Father did little housework before. • 2. Father was very considerate towards Mother.
12. on guard:ready to defend or protect; watchful 警惕、提防 My words put him on guard. 我的话使他警觉起来。 当心小偷。 Be on your guard against thieves. Armed robbery (持械抢劫)is on the increase in France as the New Year is approaching. In November, the number increased to 10 cases per day on average. Many shop owners say they want to hire security guard（保安人员）to protect their shop and themselves.
My shock and embarrassment at finding Mother in tears on Wednesday was a perfect index of how little I understood the pressures on her. place / put pressure on: 压迫某人，给某人施加压力 Translate the sentence into Chinese. 星期三，当发现妈妈哭时我所感到的震惊和窘迫，完全表明了我对妈妈所承受的压力是多么的不理解。
13. pressure: n.an attempt to persuade someone by using influence, arguments, or threats. He only agreed to leave the country under pressure. They brought pressure to the government to lower taxes. Collocations: bring / expert / place / put pressure on 压迫某人，给某人施加压力 build up / increase (the) pressure 增加压力 减轻压力 ease / relieve (the) pressure 应对……造成的压力 meet the pressure of… 抵抗来自……的压力 resist pressure from…
感受某人的痛苦 19. “I guess we all have to fail sometime,” Mother said quietly. I could sense her pain and the tension of holding backthe strong emotions that were interrupted by my arrival. Suddenly, something inside me turned. I reached out and put my arms around her. 20. She broke then. She put her face against my shoulder and sobbed. I held her close and didn’t try to talk. I knew I was doing what I should, what I could, and that it was enough. In that moment, feeling Mother’s back racked with emotion, I understood for the first time her vulnerability. She was still my mother, but she was something more: a person like me, capable of fear and hurt and failure. I could feel her pain as she must have felt mine on a thousand occasions when I had sought comfort in her arms. Article5_W
14.tension: n. a nervous worried feeling that makes it impossible for you to relax; 紧张 Just before the job interview, the young man felt his tension building. 该协定签定后，两国间的紧张局势应趋于缓和。 The tension between the two countries should be reduced when the agreement is signed. tension, stress, pressure & strain 这组名词都有“压力”的意思。 指弹性物体伸长而引起的应力，也可指人的紧张情绪；还可指人与人, 团体，国家之间因关系不好而造成的紧张状态。 tension stress 指由于困难的情况或精神上、肉体上的痛苦所带来的 “压力，忧虑”。
指某事物所产生的压力、影响力,可用于任何情况,从小的临时困难到大的连续发生的灾难。指某事物所产生的压力、影响力,可用于任何情况,从小的临时困难到大的连续发生的灾难。 pressure 指对智力、体力、财力、能力等的严格要求，即 “负担，压力”，也可指人在某种压力下所产生的影响健康的“紧张状态”。 strain 1. Worrying excessively about his job put him under . 2. I don’t want to put on you to make a quick decision. 3. The incident has further increased the racial (种族的) , and I hope it will not create international . 4. Heavy expenditures (支出) on armaments is a great on the economy of a country. stress _____ pressure _____ tension ______ tension _____ strain _____
hold back: stop yourself from feeling or showing a particular emotion; keep sth. secret阻碍, 阻止；控制; 抑制 Eg: She is accustomed to holding back her emotions. 老板忍不住告诉了他真相。 The boss couldn’t hold back from telling him the truth.