4/10 Warm Up in Notebook • Draw you own pyramid– include: • Organisms • Energy in kcal • Numbers • Biomass (kg)
1. Borneo & Malaria Issue: People are dying from Malaria in Borneo. It’s a disease carried by mosquitoes. What would you do?
2. Wetlands & Ducks in 1966 Issue:Ducks and other species are disappearing. How is this affecting the food web? What could be done?
3. Toxic Water • Toxic Mines • What organisms may be influenced? • What can we do now to help? • What can we do to prevent it from happening again? • 1952: Hinkley Groundwater contamination/ Erin Brockovich
4. Acid Rain • Issue: Rain that has high amounts of chemicals that are harmful to the environment and society. • acid rain • ACID RAIN 2 • What does it come from? • What abiotic and biotic factors are influenced? • What has been done to help?
5. Suburban Sprawl & Deer • What is it: When people build communities right on the edge of a natural habitat for a species – then many species will start to come into the developed land • Issue: • What to do? • http://ur.umich.edu/9596/May07_96/artcl18.htm, http://www.rpaforall.org/RPA%20Factsheet%205.pdf
What are some others cases when humans have influenced the ecosystem? • Come up with 2 other cases • Write the issue • Propose/write 2 solutions