1.Introduction • Gratitude for Partnership in sharing together the Archbishops' Charge. • Looking to the Future - moving forward together? • A focus on a distinct contribution from the leadership of Polynesia to our Common Mission. • Climate Change with resulting sea level rising - • A Global issue affecting Oceania: also window to address issues debated in General Synod. • Where I stand .
2. Scriptures - with focus on Leadership • How the concept of Moana Leadership is emerging in Oceania. • A call for Leadership in which deep wisdom addresses the threatening realities of today. • The Need to look at Leadership afresh in the Scriptures.
3.Scriptures- with focus on Leadership in CHANGING CONTEXTS GOD’S EMBRACING LOVE
4.THE SCRIPTURES: Changing Context of Leadership • 1. ANCESTRAL LEADERSHIP • 2. TRANSFORMATIVE LEADERSHIP • 3. ANNOINTED LEADERSHIP • 4. WISE LEADERSHIP • 5. LOTU LEADERSHIP • 6. MOANA LEADERSHIP (acknowledging Hans-Ruedi Weber 1989)
6. TRINITY – GOD’S IDENTITY THE POWER OF LOVE CHRIST IS THE HUMAN FACE OF GOD
7. MOANA: IDENTITY(One Moana - Five Oceans) FLOW/MOVE TOGETHER – Provide life for all the Planet Earth
8. IDENTITY/INCLUSIVITYOne Moana - Five Oceans Distinction and Differences Provide Life for ALL • Some Examples: • Indian - bounded by the continents of Asia, Africa and Oceania • 5 major currents - currents flowing in reverse directions a year. • Arctic – smallest named Ocean, long hours of sunshine 6 months in darkness shallowest Ocean • Antarctic – coldest and most remote. No rainfall Ice covering this Ocean 70% world's fresh water • Atlantic – wide continental shelf provides important fishing ground, rich oil and gas reserves and minerals. • Pacific – Largest ocean In the midst of vastness many scattered Islands. Many low lying coral islands or atolls No ocean exists without the others The Oceans cover 73% of Planet Earth
9. Polynesia & The Oceanic Context An Urgent & Radical Call to Embrace Creation. • Violence against the environment • The name Pacific as an identity for our region was coined by people from Europe and is synonymous with the understanding of scattered small islands. The name perpetuates helplessness and a dependence mentality. • Moana: Ancient Word for the Ocean • This world view recognises the interconnectedness of humanity, all living species and indeed all creation including the heavens. • An urgent and radical call. The Moana speaks in our present history through the sea level rising as a result of climate change. • The Diocese spans a vast section of Oceania - 28 million square kilometres. Home for most species. Waters with the interaction with the sun gift life to wider creation. • The Diocese of Polynesia compelled to add prophetic voices to the voice of the Moana at this critical time. A call for just action
POLYNESIA: THE GLORY OF GOD’S CREATION Source: wikipedia.org
11. The Identity of the Three Tikanga Church :Working Together as the Body of Christ • Tikanga –God’s Gift • The Maori Taonga – the depth and sacredness of the Maori concept – relationships/partnership • The Hikoi of Hope – provided the impact when the 3 Tikanga worked together – year …..
12. Partnership with Creation Honouring the Trinity • Talanoa/Indaba Methodology –Deep Listening to GOD, each other and the voices of Creation/Reconciliation with Creation • Respect for Creation means an addressing of all Violence and Abuse of power • Partnership with Creation –in Christ we move together
13. PangaimotuViolence of Abuse of Power in Sea Level Rising (Climate Change)
Moana Way of Life • Synod 2011 - New Commitment: The Diocese committed afresh to Mission • Synod 2013 – Content of Mission: In CHRIST We Move Together
This is where I stand - I share the vastness and life giving of the context Oceania- also vulnerability • This is also the context of Mission as a three Tikanga Church • “ The effects brought about by human misuse of nature are opening our eyes to who we really are. To be made in God’s image does not mean that we are gods..but rather God’s partner. Our calling is not a place of privilege but to a place of responsibility.” WCC • To honour God’s gift of creation, to walk humbly with God is to love justice and show mercy, addressing issues of violence and abuse of power
Jesus be the Rhythm Jesus, be the rhythm Be my source Be my light, Jesus (Jesus) Be the fire in my heart Be the wind, in my sails Be the reason that I live Jesus, Jesus
Jisuutoniyaloqu Noquivurevure Noqurarama JisuJisu Iesu, o le olo o lo’uagaga O oe le mafua’aga O lo’umalamalama Iesu, Iesu