140 likes | 560 Vues
The California Missions. El Canimo Real traditionally refers to the 650 mile long trail that links the 21 missions, two pueblos and four presidios from San Diego to Sonoma.
E N D
The California Missions • El Canimo Realtraditionally refers to the 650 mile long trail that links the 21 missions, two pueblos and four presidios from San Diego to Sonoma. • Between 1683 and 1834, Spanish missionaries established a series of religious outposts throughout the present-day State of California and the Baja Peninsula.
California Missions, 1769 - 1840 • California’s 21 Spanish missions make up some of the State’s richest historical landmarks. • They stretch 650 miles along the El Camino Real (101 FWY.)from San Diego to San Francisco. • These missions were begun in 1769 by Father Juniper Serra. • The missions provided a safe heavens for people traveling through the untamed California in the early 19th century. • The Missions also provides an exceptional insight into it’s Spanish heritage.
Mission San Diego de Alcala • California’s 1st Mission on July 16, 1769. • In the summer of 1776 the reconstruction of the mission began after an Indian attack of the previous year. • Mission San Diego de Alcala was the only of the 21 Missions to be attacked by Native Americans. • The earthquakes of the early 1800’s destroyed most of the mission. • By the 1920’s the campanario and the baptistry were the only walls that remained standing.
Mission San Francisco de Asis • The sixth California Mission built in October 9, 1776. • Known locally as Mission Dolores is the oldest intact building in San Francisco. • The Gold Rush caused this small town to be know to the rest of the Nation.
Mission San Fernando Rey de España • This Mission was founded on September 8, 1797 and it ‘s the 17th mission in order. • Mission San Fernando was the fourth mission founded in three months by Father Lasuén to close the gap in El Camino Real . • It became a popular stop for travelers. • It became known as the famous “long building” of El Camino Real. • The 1812 earthquake and the digging for gold nearly caused much of the mission to fall into disrepair. • The very long convento wing which was used as a rest home during Spanish times is now a museum. • San Fernando Mission became a church again in 1923.
Mission San Juan Capistrano • Mission San Juan Capistrano was founded by Father Juniper Serra in 1776. • It is the seventh mission. • Referred to as “The Jewel of the Missions”. • The construction of the mission was delayed because of the attacks in San Diego, which caused the death of a priest. • The most famous feature of the mission are the swallows who return every year in March. • After only six years an earthquake destroyed the church and the bell tower.
Mission Santa Barbara • Mission Santa Barbara was the 10th mission in the California mission chain in 1784. • This mission was constructed after Father Serra’s death. • It is known as “The Queen of Missions.” • It sits high on a hill overlooking the city and the Pacific Ocean. • During the first few years, there were a total of three churches built, each larger than the previous one. • The only California Mission with two similar towers (87 ft. tall). • The appearance of the inside of the church as not changed since 1820.
Mission La PurisimaConcepcion • Mission La Purisima was founded on December 8, 1787 the 11th in order. • The mission is named for The Immaculate Concepcion of Mary the Most Pure. • The current mission is a restoration of portions of the 1812 earthquake. • It is a State Historical Park and is one of the most complete and authentic restorations of any of the California Missions. • The church and its cemetery yard have been kept its original color. • The Chumash Indians roamed this lands.
Mission San GabrielArcangel • Mission San Gabriel was founded in 1771, only two years after the discovery of San Gabriel Valley. • The fourth in California. • After the rule of California passed from Spain to Mexico, the Mexican government in 1883 secularized the mission lands and awarded them to individuals. • The Mission was built of cut stone, brick and mortar. • Located along the well-traveled trails by travelers from Mexico to Alto California. • Later connecting the eastern United States with the west coast. • Architectually, it unique among the California Missions. • It produced more wheat than any other mission as well as large crops of corn and beans.