Argument By: AzucenaPalomares And Connie Dominquez
What is Argument • To convince a reader to do something or change his/her belief on something; to persuade others to believe what is right or wrong.
1. Consider your Reader • An analysis of your reader will drive all of the other decisions you will make as you plan and write your essay
2. Persuasive Main Idea • Write a reasonable, assertive topic sentence or thesis that clearly expresses what you want your reader to do or believe
3. Match reasons to goals • Include only those reasons that are relevant to your reader
4. Incorporate concessions • Anticipate and acknowledge the opposing view points and then go on to refute them
5. Good Order • Deicide weather you should arrange your reasons from most important to least important
Organizing and Transitions • After deciding on your argument, next you will consider order of reasons. In arguments it is important to have most important first, and followed by rest. • Also include transitions such as... +First, Second, Third +Most Important +Another +In addition, etc
6. Develop well • Develop each reason with either logical or emotional evidence. • Use your analysis of your reader to deicide the facts, statistics, examples, emotional appeals that will be most affective
Make an ARGUMENT Great • 1. Think about audience- if its for many people include strong non-direct points. If for a specific person do consistent powerful connective points • Persuasive Topic Sentence- Be clear in what you want or believe, be confident, DONT include “I believe …” • Supporting reasons- make sure to have good ideas on what you believe and be careful to cover any gaps that will leave the reader with any doubt • Opposing arguments- If you have a reason that will leave them with doubts they will think of a way to oppose your statement and not change your mind
Activity • Choose a topic and write an argument on it • BRAINSTORM Immigration College Attendance Legal Drinking Age Smoking Cigarrets DressCode YOUR OWN TOPIC?
Activity #2 • Choose a 3 TOPICS and write down some causes and effects Same Sex Marriage JUNK food at school Salaries for teachers Legal Immigration ANY OTHER IDEAS???