1. What was America often called during the Civil War period? _________ 2. Why did the North reject slavery? _____________ ________________________________________________ 3. What were the South’s two main crops? _____________________ 4. Who invented the cotton gin? __________ 5. Why was the cotton gin such a help to Southern farmers? ______________________________ _________________________ Union They had small farms and had no need of slaves. Cotton and tobacco Eli Whitney It took the seeds out of the cotton and cleaned it.
6. What two states were brought into the Union under the terms of the Missouri Compromise? ___________________ Which was slave which was free? __________________ ______________________ 7. Who was elected President in 1860? __________________ 8. Why did the South dislike Lincoln? _______________ ________ Missouri and Maine Missouri- Slave Maine- Free Abraham Lincoln He disliked slavery
9. What was the first state to leave the Union? _______________ What other six states left the Union not long after that? ______________________________________________________ ______ What did these states call themselves? __________________________________________________ 10. Who was elected President of the Confederacy? ________________ 11. What were the Northern soldiers called? ____________ ______________________________________________________ South Carolina Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisianna, Texas The Confederate States of America Jefferson Davis Union Soldiers, Yankees, Billy Yanks, Yanks
12. What were the Southern soldiers called? ___________________________________________ 13. At what fort did the Civil War begin? _______________ 14. How many states made up the Confederacy? ___ How many states stayed with the Union? ___ 15. What did the North set up against the South to weaken it? ___________ Confederate Soldiers, Rebels, Johnny Rebs Fort Sumter, S.C. 11 22 Blockades
16. What was the name of the first Southern ironclad? __________What was the name of the first Northern ironclad? ________ Which ship won the battle when they fought each other? ________ 17. What document issued by Lincoln freed the slaves? ____________________________ 18. What important effect did the Emancipation Proclamation have on the Civil War? _________________ _____________________________ Merrimac Monitor Neither Emancipation Proclamation It changed the purpose of the war to slavery.
19. Who was the leader of the Union army? ________________ 20. Who was the leader of the Southern army? _____________ 21. What battle was the turning point of the war? ___________ 22. What battle put the Mississippi River under Northern control? __________ 23. What Union general led a destructive march to the sea? __________________ Ulysses S. Grant Robert E. Lee Gettysburg Vicksburg William T. Sherman
24. What city served as the capital of the Confederacy? ___________________ 25. What was the site of Lee’s surrender to Grant? ______________________________ 26. What two things did the Civil War make certain? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 27. Who shot and killed President Lincoln? ____________________ Richmond, Virginia Appomattox Court House, V.A. 1.) No state could secede ever again 2.) Ended slavery John Wilkes Booth 28. Who became President after Lincoln’s death? _________________ Andrew Johnson
North Advantages Disadvantages Better supplies 30x more guns 20x more iron More food More clothing More blankets More tents More factories More men Better navy More rails and roads to transport people & supplies More ships More medicine Not on homeland Supplies needed to be transported or carried Clothing were blue
South Advantages Disadvantages Good generals More experience with guns Gray clothing couldn’t be seen easily Fought on their own land Had to send raw cotton out of the country to make clothing Had no factories Not all countries want to help South Had to trade all cotton and tobacco to get supplies